Poor wifi performance

OnTheSnap

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues and decided to see if I could fix it myself. And I did!

I pulled the back cover off. It was very easy and I was able to use my short finger nails to pop the back off. the back cover has 3 integrated antenna's that connect with the main body using spring contacts. Each antenna is labled - "GPS", "NFC", "Wifi". I bent the Wifi spring fingers up 10 degrees or so. This allowed them to make better contact with the antenna on the back cover.

Problem solved. No more connectivity issues at all.

Note that prior to this fix, I had good signal strength. It was just taking forever to load pages. Like packets were getting malformed or something.

So if you have wifi problems, give this a shot. Its low risk IMO.

Jalee2012

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a wifi issue at church today, I normally take my playbook, but today I decided to try my nexus 7 for my bible/notes. The bible program I use needs the internet, so today when I tried to sign on, it told me I had no bars, which is strange because on my playbook I get 3 or 4 bars inside and 2 or 3 bars outside the building. The pastor was able to use the internet so I know it was working.. and my wifi works at home inside and outside, so don't know what the issue was today.

kambomambo

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
OnTheSnap - you are absolutely diamond. I followed your instructions and it has done the job perfectly. Reception is now 'excellent' in the same room and I get a decent signal (2 to 3 bars) where I previously had nothing in my bedroom.

One other thing that illustrates the extent of the imporvement is that I can now see 20 visible networks whereas previously there were just three visible. Excellent piece of advice and extremely grateful. Thanks for the clear and simple advice. I no longer need to think about returning it.

:)

I pulled the back cover off. It was very easy and I was able to use my short finger nails to pop the back off. the back cover has 3 integrated antenna's that connect with the main body using spring contacts. Each antenna is labled - "GPS", "NFC", "Wifi". I bent the Wifi spring fingers up 10 degrees or so. This allowed them to make better contact with the antenna on the back cover.

Note that prior to this fix, I had good signal strength. It was just taking forever to load pages. Like packets were getting malformed or something.

Last edited:

epohs

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar issues- nexus 7 getting 20 db less signal than RAZR sitting next to it. The issue was with the back of the nexus being very slightly loose. The back cover pops in place. The cover contains the buttons for power, volume and the WiFi antenna. The hardware in the back cover is connected to the main unit via contact points instead of wire. if its loose at all you may notice poor WiFi performance. I unsnapped the cover a little bit and then resnapped it into place. I now have excellent WiFi signal where before it was dropping out and was lower than my other devices. I think this happened when I knocked it off the coffee table. The back cover was seperated from the screen on the upper left corner by about 1/8 inch. I used the unit for several hours before I even noticed the gap. Hope that helps your issue.

Thank you so much! This was exactly my problem. My WiFi strength jumped from barely one bar to full strength as soon as I resnapped the back.

DRTN

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I had similar issues to some of these posts. It would recognize all sorts of wifi locations, even the hotel 300 yards away. It would also connect with excellent connectivity. But the amount of data sent and received would be essentially none. I was about to do the factory rest as mentioned by one post. Then I looked at actively running apps. I saw my virus protection app and thought it might be hindering. I uninstalled it and pop! I had great data exchange. (An email appeared on my N7 before it dinged my desktop.) The offending app was: Lookout Security.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, well, we have a Cisco router at work, and I get signal to the end of the offices. Then I go to the rest room with the 7 (don't judge me :) and through three cinder block walls and an additional 50' I still get good signal. So, no. I don't have any problems. At all.

MountainSufi

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my N7 except for zero reception at my hangouts: a pub and bagel shop. My reception at home is just fine. Since my old Mac Air only receives 802.11n, the N7 should connect elsewhere. It fails at this miserably.

I'm now drinking fine IPA at the pub and enjoying 5 bar reception on my laptop. The ONLY way I get reception on the N7 is to bring it to the managers office. Holding it through the door, a mere ten feet away from the router, I get ONLY 1-2 BARS!!!

My experience proves this is a software problem. Google and Asus screwed up on this one. We shouldn't have to dink around with adjusting settings on our home routers, and it's impossible to do this with open wifi spots outside the home.

Yes, I've taken the back off and adjusted the antenna contacts a bit up to get a stronger signal. It didn't work.

I called up Google Play, which is where I bought it, and was told nothing is wrong with the unit since it receives my home signal. I was told I could send it back on warranty, but if they determined nothing was wrong I be shipped a new one back and have to pay for it.

There must be tonz of folks with this problem. What a load of crap.

iduarte21

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Worked like a charm!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

skesler89

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
My N7 wifi signal is also poor. I'm not willing to risk opening it up to attempt a fix. I hope a forthcoming software or firmware upgrade will address this issue. Without decent wifi, this thing is just a $250 brick.

iconicpoker

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand why you are getting bad wi fi service
I get exceptionall service with mine
I can actually sit in the bathroom with mine and my router
is in the living room and still get a signal
and when i am in the same room i get 25 megs download speed
i used speed test to check it out
i really dont understand why you guys are having problems
i am a network engineer if you need help configuring message
me ill try to help
thanx
kaedyn

MountainSufi

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's fixed WiFi for me!!!!

My N7 is now connecting easily. Here's what happened...

N7s automatically connect to a WiFi network you're in when you turn them on the first time.. This led me to assume there'd be a no brainer option every time I was around a new network (& indeed a friend told me his Ice Cream device has the option of automatically connecting). Not Jelly Bean.

Switching over from Macs, I assumed all I had to do was touch or swipe the WiFi bar signal strength in the upper right corner to get a list of other networks to join. This doesn't work on the N7... I got a strong signal from my home WiFi (which is where I first turned on the N7), but later didn't get any other listings when I was in areas I KNEW had strong signals I could use. Yes, I read the 100 page "Nexus 7 Guide" on the device, but this was at home and I breezed thru the WiFi section because I knew everything was OK (so I thought); only later when out & about did I find it impossible to find a signal.

Turns out the N7 demands you go to Apps/Settings/Wi-Fi. This is MORE than an on/off switch. Tap it to get a list of WiFi options. BINGO!! I now love my N7, and it's got very good WiFi reception.

Was I dumb? Perhaps. But Google Play support missed telling me this on 3 calls for help. Why is the path to WiFi so convoluted? A techie friend told me it's got something to do with the Apple-Samsung lawsuit.

Happy Trails!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone offer a comparison of the wifi between the kindle fire and the N7?

I have the fire currently, and just ordered the N7 last night--a decision I'm slowly starting to regret, after reading countless threads on how faulty it is :/. My room is on a floor below the router, but the kindle picks up wifi perfectly.

I plan on using the N7 on campus, where wifi is spotty enough depending on the location/number of users. Hopefully it'll be strong enough to stay connected..

sheets123

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar issues- nexus 7 getting 20 db less signal than RAZR sitting next to it. The issue was with the back of the nexus being very slightly loose. The back cover pops in place. The cover contains the buttons for power, volume and the WiFi antenna. The hardware in the back cover is connected to the main unit via contact points instead of wire. if its loose at all you may notice poor WiFi performance. I unsnapped the cover a little bit and then resnapped it into place. I now have excellent WiFi signal where before it was dropping out and was lower than my other devices. I think this happened when I knocked it off the coffee table. The back cover was seperated from the screen on the upper left corner by about 1/8 inch. I used the unit for several hours before I even noticed the gap. Hope that helps your issue.

Thank you..
Your suggestion is exactly the solution I needed.. I hadn't noticed the back cover in the corner had popped out after it had been lightly dropped. I looked closely , saw the cover was loose.. snapped it back and my signal improved.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but my old Kindle Fire seems to get much better reception than my N7--it's especially noticeable when I try to stream videos. But I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the difference in screen resolution, rather than wifi capabilities?

garbonsai

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Bingo! Same exact issue, never dropped the tablet. Took a look at the back case--the upper left hand corner was indeed partially separated. Snapped it back together, and went from 1 bar with the router in the next room over to full strength. Thanks!

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
My N7 could barely hold the wifi signal and would actually turn off wifi in my house. What solved my problem was by updating my router's firmware,but my situation is probably rare because my router was never updated since it was purchased in 2004.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

sgiff

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me very well and took about a minute to do and came off fairly easily but you have to like start near a corner with you finger nail to pry it up, then insert another fingernail and slide down to start prying it open, it will pop fairly easily, try not to bend the front glass as some people have reported that the glass on this unit can break fairly easily maybe because it's not gorilla glass, i dont know but all i am saying is only put pressure on the edge of the device do not try to manhandle it when opening it. My signal was getting 500kbps download and after I pulled up the little antennae clips and made a better connection with the back plate my signal bars didnt really change but my download went up to 10mpbs instantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37