Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Poor wifi performance

In addition to closing the cover tightly, I found one obvious improvement to my Wi-Fi reception. My router was on the floor on the lower level of our house. I raised it to the top of a cabinet about 4 feet higher and was amazed at the better reception throughout our house.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

I also had horrible wifi strength on my Nexus 7 so I took off the back and adjusted the wifi connection slightly and it did improve my constantly dropping wifi connection. It isn't as strong as my iPad but it is slightly better than it was. Don't know if more adjustment would help more but It is almost useable now.

Worked for me too, after I realized that those two tiny metal strips was the antenna. I carefully pried them up.

ROM
    Stock

I tried this, but was afraid to push too much. I didn't get any relief. How much can you safely bend?

Posted via Android Central App

Could get an app like WiFi Analyzer and get a better measure of signal strength as seen on your N7. Then when moving about you can determine best location of device or maybe effect of change of router position. Can also see if there are interfering signals.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Based on the earlier comments, I had the same problem, took my nexus out the case and lo and behold, the frame wasn't together fully. Popped back together, signal went right back up. Huzzah! And thank you!

THanks for helping me solve the back of the device was ajar and the signal is back to full strength
    davi xiao tian

Nexus 7 2013. Poor wifi signal. In the room where my laptop shows 2 bars, the Nexus gets no signal. Surely this issue should have been resolved by now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scollins#CB View Post
    This was my issue. Popped the back into place and went from "Poor" to "Excellent" signal strength.

Thank you!

Boy, did this suggestion help! I looked at the cover, snapped it back in place, and my wifi was working as it was supposed to. Thanks so much!

Bad wifi connection at home ('Out of Range', bad quality of connection, flipping connection, no access) ? Set your wifi router to WEP-security instead of WPA/WPA2/WPS. More than one Android device (especially with Jelly Bean on it) can't cope with the newer security specifications. The cause is probably Android and not the device as it happens with devices of different manufacturers (though in many cases Made in China). I can't confirm if this WPA-problem occurs evenso on rooted Android devices as I have only tested it on unrooted ones. Try that first before flashing roms etc. The poor support from manufacturers is disappointing. The ideal thing for Android would be that a patch/update for a single problem like this would be easily downloadable (from Google e.g.) and as easlily installed on the Android device with the problem. Common people who massively buy these devices often don't have the Linux/Android knowledge to fiddle around with their product.
    Last edited by Sletvana Sitvabova; 12-10-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks for that info, but newer devices like the Nexus 7 should have no problem with WPA/WPA2 security protocols. The problem with WEP is that it's an older security protocol that is less secure than WPA/WPA2, so you may run more risk of a breach.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I think you two are in agreement: there are a LOT of things that SHOULD be straightforward... but aren't.
    Shocking as it is, I find the post re: WEP plausible. the poor wifi performance and the plethora of suggested workarounds for what should be just "plug/play" is appalling .

For what it's worth, it's not limited to Android devices. I had to do some significant tinkering with a friend's older iPhone in order to allow her to access my home network (which my Android devices access without difficulty).

A broken link and snark. Aren't you just a helpful little bundle of joy...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Loughrey View Post
    A broken link and snark. Aren't you just a helpful little bundle of joy...
    Are you referring to a post that was deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sea...archid=4979353

KeS

I don't care what device your message was sent from.
    This is the post I was talking about. That said the instructions about taking the back cover off worked wonders for me. I'll post a how video this weekend. It was easy.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123