Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 battery life?

I just joined to add my experience.

I found my way here because I too was seeing giant spikes in the amount of battery being used, making my actual usage time smaller than expected. Even on standby, I was seeing the battery drained with in 2 days.

What I did was as follows:

1) I uninstalled any apps that I really didn't need that had background tasks. So for example, I had two RSS feed readers, I uninstalled one of them.
    2) Syncing:
    i) I stopped my second Google account from syncing (it was attached to Google code and used for a open source project entity I use to publish stuff with. Nothing essential to sync.)
    ii) I stopped my main account syncing everything except mail and a couple of other things. No music, no video and no Google+. I also stopped Newsrob from auto syncing my RSS.
    3) I turned the screen brightness right down and turned off auto level.
    4) Periodically look at the app list and close apps I don't need. I also killed a few processes that I believe don't need to be running (e.g. the free Winamp left 2 processes running that looked pointless to me as I'd run it once and had no intention of using it to do anything but listen to my already purchased music on device.)

So far, I have had pretty good results. 1 day 58minutes on battery. 93% battery. Screen 47%. GPS on, WIFI on (though when I travel 1.5 hours to and from work, it is obviously not connected to an AP, still "on" though.)

I haven't used it for many long periods, but I haven't used it sparingly. It's my go to tablet when I want to reply to email and look at Twitter/Facebook/Youtube.

This is all anecdotal, but it's doing a lot better than it was the day before. I had a similar experience with my iPhone and iPad - the more you sync, the more it causes battery usage to go up. Seems like a no brainer, but it's amazing how true it turns out to be.

I'm loving my battery life on my n7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

I am at 37% after around 4 hrs of screen time, watching YouTube, playing Beach Buggy Blitz, Minecraft and Poolbar, web surfing, and Facebook with brightness on lowest most of the time. Uptime is around 1 full day. Is this normal? Anyone plz reply. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by jlanik4 View Post
    I am at 37% after around 4 hrs of screen time, watching YouTube, playing Beach Buggy Blitz, Minecraft and Poolbar, web surfing, and Facebook with brightness on lowest most of the time. Uptime is around 1 full day. Is this normal? Anyone plz reply. Thx.
    In my opinion, that's great. I can barely squeeze out about five hours on my battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    In my opinion, that's great. I can barely squeeze out about five hours on my battery.

Thanks, I wasn't sure so I wanted a second opinion.

Now I'm at 15% with 5 and a half hrs screen on time. I've done some intense 3d games though.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Would anyone mind sharing how good their battery life is when playing intense 3d games for a long period of time?

Screen time uses up the majority of battery. I haven't personally tested it, but I've seen other posts mention 6 hours of screen time as a typical duration for battery life. Considering that you were doing some heavy gaming as well, your battery life sounds normal.

Thanked by:

I have a strange feeling that the battery chart is inaccurate. I'm getting different results after every charge.

Thanked by:

Me too. Overnight standby usage ain't bad. Now after 1 hr and 15 min screen time, I'm at 80% after web browsing, fb, and pool bar for a little bit.

Mine last pretty well, doesnt have to many problems when using most apps, but if I use a cpu heavy program like need for speed it burns through the battery real quick

Quote Originally Posted by odd1ne View Post
    Mine last pretty well, doesnt have to many problems when using most apps, but if I use a cpu heavy program like need for speed it burns through the battery real quick
    I get usually 2 days out of a charge. I'm guessing that's about average.

When my battery meter gets to around 30 to 35%, it instantly drops to 1% and then powers down.

The battery meter seemed to be working accurately until the last 4 or 5 charging cycles.

I'm getting no more than 6.5 hrs from a 100 % charge to 9 - 10% which is when I shut off the N7 & recharge.
    No movies/gaming/you tube/GPS.
    I use it mostly to read articles on Flipboard & Pulse & have kept the screen brightness to 40%.
    I have the Avast anti virus running but it shows no significant battery %age usage, not even 1%
    Battery usage shows screen use at 85%, & Flipboard/Pulse usage in single digits.
    Have turned all notifications/auto updates off for the apps I have installed, except for Avast.
    I shut off the tab after every use- boot up & shut down 3-4 times in a day.
    I'm still on Android 4.1.2 the N7 came with & haven't upgraded to4.2.1 reading all the issues people have been having with it.
    The N7 is not rooted; it is as it came.
    Oh, my N7 is new & I'm on my 4th recharge.
    Qns-
    1) Will battery life improve to the levels others seem to be getting after some more charge/discharge cycles?
    2) Is Avast the culprit? Do I really need an antivirus?I installed it based on the advice I read from some gurus on Cnet/other sites.
    3) Is there anything else I can do to improve battery life?
    TIA.

Screen is always the #1 battery drain. 6.5 hours might be a bit low, but if that's 6.5 hours of the screen actually being on, that's going to be the range of battery life you get. and aside from reducing screen brightness there won't be much more you can do.

Others will probably have differing opinions but I've never run an antivirus on my android devices. I don't think it is worth it.

Also, there is really no need to turn the N7 all the way off every time you're not looking at it. in standby mode the battery will drop less than 3-4%/hour, and with all notifications etc off probably even less. You also don't need to turn it off to charge it.

I don't know how you guys are managing to get such good battery life. Mine is terrible to be really honest. I'm at 25% right now with 2.5 hrs screen on time!!??!! WTF is up with that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    I don't know how you guys are managing to get such good battery life. Mine is terrible to be really honest. I'm at 25% right now with 2.5 hrs screen on time!!??!! WTF is up with that?

I'm at 19% with just over 3 hours and 17 minutes of screen time. Having on background sync makes a huge (negative) difference. I haven't even manually checked my emails today but have lost 26%of my battery thanks to it.
    Nexus 7 battery life?-uploadfromtaptalk1359609446829.jpgNexus 7 battery life?-uploadfromtaptalk1359609458730.jpg

I'm having the same issue, 3 hrs and 47 min with 14% left. Is something wrong?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234