Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Default Re: Has anyone figured out the Navigation app?

Quote Originally Posted by mkiker2089 View Post
    I was expecting it to work since all GPS devices work on cached maps. No I don't have a smartphone. I don't need one as I have a nexus.
    AFAIK, the navigation mapmakers (there are only two...TomTom and Naveteq which was bought by Nokia IIRC) also provide you an engine to use to read their nav data. Just about all standalone navs use one of these two map sources/engines.

Google apparently doesn't have their own standalone one yet.

Look at NDrive and Sygic as well. I use prepaid w/ no data and run NDrive. Cost is roughly as much as 1 month of cellular data to put it in perspective...not free, but still a bargain
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

I still think either Google or someone else will fix this. The maps are the large part. The Navy engine could be stored locally.

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    After hearing the announcement of OFFLINE maps at Google IO, I think it was only logical for alot of people to think turn-by-turn would function since navigation is magic to most peeps even the Android geek inclined.
    Totally agree. The way they made a big deal about it I assumed the same, especially since I have used nokia e73 for navigation with downloaded maps. This is like the assumption we made about preorders, Google has a different definition for it. We assumed that pre orders reach you before b and m, or orders will ship in the order that they came in. Apparently not for Google.
    Thanked by:

In due time we will get a fully functional offline GPS navigation feature in Maps- possible as the standalone Navigation app if they don't decide to just merge the two. With this annoyance of the offline maps not being of much use (as well as being complicated compared to the competition) and Apple getting into the maps thing, it's really only a matter of time.

Until then, a big THANKS for opening my eyes to FoxFi. I had no idea this was a viable solution that wouldn't get me in trouble with TMobile. Just tried it at work with my N7 and successfully browsed some blocked sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    I tried reading the n7 outside. I can't see it. I can easily see the screen of my bionic outside. So much for 7 inch GPS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Soooo, you walk around in the sun with your GPS??
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

This may seem obvious but the Nexus screen is polarized so if someone is trying to read it with sunglasses they will only see a black slate. My Kindle is the same way, as are many GPS devices.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by dougiefresh66 View Post
    On the google app you can set it "walk" instead of drive. Of course since the app only works within wifi I can't imagine a use for it. I don't usually go hiking through office complexes. Last time I did that I nearly got arrested. Perhaps the tent was too much of a give away?

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Do none of you have a smart phone? Navigation works just fine on my Galaxy Nexus phone. Why were you expecting a wifi-only product to be a good navigation device?
    How much worse must be my Tom-Tom that doesn't even have WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by dougiefresh66 View Post
    Some people go out in the sun. Amazon.com: gps hiking

ROM
    CM 9.1

For some reason I thought I read something a while ago that said the GPS will work even without a wifi connection.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    For some reason I thought I read something a while ago that said the GPS will work even without a wifi connection.

Gah. It does. People keep saying the GPS won't work without Wifi. It absolutely will. NAVIGATION won't work. If you cache your maps, you can walk way the hell out in the woods, and your nexus 7 will absolutely work as a GPS.

Remember folks, GPS simply locates your position on the earth. It does not tell you how to get from one place to another. That's what Nav systems do. Can a unit be both? Of course. Does it have to be? Nope.
    tflash likes this.

If I use pdanet to tether between andriod phone and the tablet, I assume that I can get the routing info and direction to where I want to go.. If I only use the phone for the location search, then unplug the phone and let the tablet navigation work by itself using the satellite.. In case, I only use a small amount of data from the phone to get the routing info.. does my assumption correct??

Quote Originally Posted by mkiker2089 View Post
    This may seem obvious but the Nexus screen is polarized so if someone is trying to read it with sunglasses they will only see a black slate. My Kindle is the same way, as are many GPS devices.
    I have some Polar Optics glasses. Yes it blacks out the screen. But you can see it in portrait though from left and right as well. But who portraits for dash mount?

My 1.5 hr drive was cached first then it told me when to turn (which was correct) but didn't say what street. It only says street names when online. It would tell me to get on the ramp when actually I was turning onto city street after exiting. But was still the correct direction. Once I got into town it had its own idea or something because it was going crazy telling me to make uturns and the arrow was off the map. I didn't follow it because I knew where to go. Just testing. I also don't have a mount. I always rely on the voice with my phones Google nav.

Download either Sygic or CoPilot. They use stored data. Neither require a data connection. Once it's installed, you're done.
    pbelfi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by keithz View Post
    This has always been the case. The cached maps are there to give you a reference. They won't give you directions. The engine which maps out your nav directions is in the cloud, not on your phone.
    Is that the same with the Google Maps app?

Mike is right.....download Sygic.....it works great, and no need for a data connection. Actually, the Nexus 7 has a great GPS radio in it, as it finds and locks onto satellites fast!

Cnet has a review of 4 free nav apps to try. NavFree stores the data on your device.

Here.
    Nexus 7, stock.
    Galaxy Slll, stock.

OK have read every post in this thread and fully understand the need to set up and make the map available off line for the Navigation app to use. It all works great for maybe three miles Voice prompts etc. Clearly after only a few yards I would be out of WiFi range so why do the voice direction promts work three miles down the road and then stop. The mapping works great still but I dont want to look down at a map. All I get when the man stops giving directions is a noise like a gong at a point when I would expect a voice to tell me which way to turn. If the N7 has GPS such as the Tom Tom it should give the voice as well as the mapping surly... If not is there any alturnitive for here in the UK as I see lots of posts that are clearly USA orientated.. ie is there a Nav Free app for the UK

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Do none of you have a smart phone? Navigation works just fine on my Galaxy Nexus phone. Why were you expecting a wifi-only product to be a good navigation device?

Using a smart phone is a lot cheaper than plunking down money for a Garmin.

If you have an Android smart phone then just download the FoxFi app and get free wifi tethering. You can then use your Nexus if you like.
    Well actually, FoxFi does not work with 4.1...

ROM
    JB

I really with the Nav app worked offline with the downloaded maps. However, I just wifi tether my phone to the Nexus 7 and boom!, Navigation. I could just as easy use my phone for with the Nav app but having a 7inch navigation screen is sooo nice

I use Co-Pilot. It works well & you can download all N America for $10 or less. No internet needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Kan View Post
    If I use pdanet to tether between andriod phone and the tablet, I assume that I can get the routing info and direction to where I want to go.. If I only use the phone for the location search, then unplug the phone and let the tablet navigation work by itself using the satellite.. In case, I only use a small amount of data from the phone to get the routing info.. does my assumption correct??
    I think you're on the right track. You can connect long enough for the N7 to get the directions and start navigating, then shut down PDANet, and the N7 should keep navigating on its own, at least for a while. If you miss a turn, or it starts having trouble navigating, you can turn it back on. It shouldn't use a lot of data doing this, though I'm not sure it would use all that much more data just to leave the tethered connection on (though you might turn off syncing of accounts and such while doing this if you want to make sure it's not continually checking for email, etc, if you really need to keep usage to a minimum).
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by royal hussar View Post
    All I get when the man stops giving directions is a noise like a gong at a point when I would expect a voice to tell me which way to turn.
    The gong means that you've lost your GPS lock. When that happens to me I continue to use the map. When you reacquire GPS it will pick up at your current location.

Simeon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
    Well actually, FoxFi does not work with 4.1...
    Sure it does, I'm using it right now on my 4.1 Gnex.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_lockwood View Post
    Wow. That's ridiculous. So the point behind downloading a map is .. what? I guess you can use it like a fold-out paper map
    Does a fold out map update your position on the map and show you what direction you are going?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast