Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Phenom
  • 1 Post By firenation112
  • 1 Post By Gaoes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Default Bringing my wife over from the dark side

My household is a split one. My wife is a iPhoner and I'm a proud Androider. We've often argued over which is better. To be honest, I've always figured the iPhone was probably better FOR HER as she's not big into customizations and just likes to keep things simple and smooth. Whenever I would jokingly show off things like widgets or live wallpaper, she would scoff at them. She's not a big fan of change. As a matter of fact, she once argued that iPhones and Android phones were too big and she'd never need anything beyond her beloved Palm Pixi (LOL).

Anyway, when she said she wanted a Kindle Fire, I saw an opportunity. I love Amazon, but why get the Kindle Fire when the Nexus 7 is a much more versatile machine? Since she frequents Barnes & Noble, it made sense to give her the ability to buy from them, Amazon or Google. So as an anniversary gift, I gave her the Nexus 7.

I was a little nervous, considering her anti-Android ways, but if she didn't like it, I figured I'd just keep it as my toy and buy her a Kindle Fire anyway. Of course, she'd never heard of it, but was exited to get an "e-reader" since she really wanted one. I showed her a few tips and she looked like a kid in a candy store. As she loaded widgets, scrolled though the live wallpapers, configured her favorite apps, oogled over Google Navigation and went customization crazy, she never gave her lonely little iPhone another glance. She went on and on about the awesomeness of her new "e-reader."

I think by the time her iPhone 4S is up for an upgrade, she may be smitten enough with the Android experience to leave Apple and its evil, anti-competitive ways behind. She already knows my #boycottapple stance (for me, not her) and may very well become a card carrying member of the Apple Sucks Brigade. If nothing else, she's learned that there's a lot to like about Android.

Default Re: Bringing my wife over from the dark side

Lol your lucky you and your wife only disagree regarding mobile operating systems
    Thanked by:
    gmen78 
    MrpicC likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Lol. Nah, we're pretty much opposites. So our joint Nexus love might be the start of something special. Baby names anyone? J/k
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Just a quick update, after using the N7 for three days, my wife is still GUSHING over her tablet. I really think she'll ditch her iPhone for Android once her upgrade is due. She's adding new widgets everyday and the woman who I couldn't pry her iPhone out of her hands doesn't even give it a second glance except for phone calls.

Hopefully this weekend, I can get her to load her iTunes into Play Music and then her iPhone might as well be some pre-paid Nokia crap that's only used for phone calls. Hopefully Apple won't sue her for switching device loyalty...

lol, poor guy. you've set your self up for the one-up circle. now that you've blown away her expectations, you must maintain or exceed that level of awesomeness with all her electronics or else .

have fun!
    berrydroidapple likes this.

That's actually a pretty good idea. The gift-friendly price of the Nexus 7 makes it easy to get "normal" people exposed to Android.

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.2

Lol. Thanks for sharing. My husband isn't really too much into latest tech toy but he's been using Apple computers for quite some time now. However, when he saw my N7 he said it looked really "cool" and that he wanted one for himself.

Tried a similar experiment buying a his her pair.

Unfortunately she can't find a real use for it other than handing it to my daughter to play angry birds. I guess I've should've known that her power apps all need internet which makes this device on the go most usless...unless we finally start getting solid Tab apps.

They need to come fast with some HD and 3D apps otherwise this thing is going to nose dive into obscurity faster than we can say Jelly Bean.

-Sent from my Jelly Bean Nexus 7