Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is the 4 pin connector used for?

I just noticed a 4 pin connector on the side of the tablet. What is this used for?

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

I'm curious about this as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: What is the 4 pin connector used for?

It's either a connection for the rumored Google neural implant or a docking station.

tostler likes this.

Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They are pogo charging contacts. Makes using a dock (which I assume will be released in the future) much easier because it can charge just by making contact instead of using the micro USB port.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by 2:
    tribblon likes this.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Same as galaxy nexus. Its for a dock that hopefully we will see sometime soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Same as galaxy nexus. Its for a dock that hopefully we will see sometime soon.

If it's the same as the galaxy nexus then we will never see the dock. Yes I am still pissed about that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    NoICon, svfd757 and S-Doo-1965 like this.

Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    If it's the same as the galaxy nexus then we will never see the dock. Yes I am still pissed about that.

The dock is out for the GNex. Just not for the Verizon model. The Nexus 7, being just one model, won't have that problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wonder why the Nexus 7 has four pogo pins and the Galaxy Nexus has three pogo pins?

I'd definitely buy a dock. I used to love the original iphone's dock, with a bigger device it should be even nicer.

C'mon google, I want my Nexus 7! And then release a smart cover and a dock, you'd have my money (insert Fry 'shut up and take my money' meme)

Get a dock for the Nexus 7 and it would make a killer alarm clock to put next to your bed

The lack of a landscape mode on the home screen makes me think Google is not in a hurry to release a dock...

Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TheStereoMike View Post
    The lack of a landscape mode on the home screen makes me think Google is not in a hurry to release a dock...
    Well, keep in mind that the stock Android launcher does support landscape mode. But just when connected to certain accessories. This even applied to the Nexus One. On the Nexus One, the launcher would switch to landscape when using the OEM car dock. And the Galaxy Nexus will switch to landscape when using HDMI output. It may even when in the official landscape dock but I can't confirm. So I wouldn't be shocked to see landscape orientation on the Nexus 7 if using a proper dock for it.

broadwayblues likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I am hoping for a dock that has video out. I am not looking forward to paying for something I feel should have come out of the box, but I am at least hoping a dock will give us the option.

Quote Originally Posted by ock View Post
    Well, keep in mind that the stock Android launcher does support landscape mode. But just when connected to certain accessories. This even applied to the Nexus One. On the Nexus One, the launcher would switch to landscape when using the OEM car dock. And the Galaxy Nexus will switch to landscape when using HDMI output. It may even when in the official landscape dock but I can't confirm. So I wouldn't be shocked to see landscape orientation on the Nexus 7 if using a proper dock for it.
    I see. Thanks for the info, I did not know that.

Does anyone know if it's technically possible for a N7 case to connect with the pogo contacts and route that to the back of the case? Sort of making a faux "power mat" situation?

Quote Originally Posted by pokingmon View Post
    Does anyone know if it's technically possible for a N7 case to connect with the pogo contacts and route that to the back of the case? Sort of making a faux "power mat" situation?
    You could probably build a case with internal metal studs to do that if you want to.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornRancher View Post
    It's either a connection for the rumored Google neural implant or a docking station.

Click to view quoted image
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let it be for the neural implant!!!
    webOS Refugee

The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo 180.
    AZBrauMeister likes this.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Some type of a keyboard doc would be really cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enjoylife949 View Post
    I wonder why the Nexus 7 has four pogo pins and the Galaxy Nexus has three pogo pins?
    Probably nothing more exciting than for charging. Any dock would be expected to charge the device reasonably quickly and the extra pin is likely needed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post

This is Asus were talking about they love docks that work. The extra pogo pin IMO is likely for USB\HDMI on the dock.
    Last edited by zedorda; 07-28-2012 at 03:47 PM.

I really want a video out dock. The four pin "should" be able to handle video out to HDMI.
    Last edited by Hand_O_Death; 07-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.

ROM
    ParanoidAndroid

I'd love a dock for my Nexus 7. I'd buy one for my bedside table and one to put next to my computer monitor.
    Founder of the technology blog The Prime.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheStereoMike View Post

Just put the app ultimate rotation control on your nexus 7. Its free and it works great.

Disappointed that the dock does not have HDMI out, this thread got my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post
    Disappointed that the dock does not have HDMI out, this thread got my hopes up.
    I did not know there was a dock released yet do you have a link to this dock without HDMI?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast