Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    I'm wondering because I have the $10 for Google Wallet and my only device with NFC is my Nexus 7.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JesusG90 View Post
    I'm wondering because I have the $10 for Google Wallet and my only device with NFC is my Nexus 7.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Yes it will work. The money is for that device so even if you had say a galaxy nexus it would not be available on the galaxy. Once you use it the next time your on WiFi your account will update.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Yes it will work. The money is for that device so even if you had say a galaxy nexus it would not be available on the galaxy. Once you use it the next time your on WiFi your account will update.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Awesome, thanks!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Question Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    I had an issue trying to use it without internet....
    This morning I had it tethered just in case and it went through perfectly.
    It was kinda cool - the people @ McDonald's were like - "Wha???"
    then it paid for my Oatmeal and it was like "Oooooh"


    But I went back for coffee mid day and it didn't like me as much without the tether.

    So....I'm going to try again if you guy's say it works without internet.
  5. #5  
    JNM
    JNM is offline
    JNM's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    You will not need the internet connection to use Google Wallet. However, you do need to connect and keep it updated regularly. That shouldn't be too difficult.

    I used it yesterday evening with my Nexus 7. I did not tether to my Galaxy Nexus but I did make a purchase without any trouble.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmazzara View Post
    I had an issue trying to use it without internet....
    This morning I had it tethered just in case and it went through perfectly.
    It was kinda cool - the people @ McDonald's were like - "Wha???"
    then it paid for my Oatmeal and it was like "Oooooh"


    But I went back for coffee mid day and it didn't like me as much without the tether.

    So....I'm going to try again if you guy's say it works without internet.
    Cool, let us know please.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    Deradorn's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

    Default

    I tried out Google wallet today at McDonalds but since it was my first time trying it out I preconnected to their WiFi I was afraid to look like an ***** to people who had no idea what I was trying to do. It worked great and everyone was wondering how I paid. Let me know if it truly does work without WiFi if it does I might actually put some more money on here to use around town to freak people out.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deradorn View Post
    I tried out Google wallet today at McDonalds but since it was my first time trying it out I preconnected to their WiFi I was afraid to look like an ***** to people who had no idea what I was trying to do. It worked great and everyone was wondering how I paid. Let me know if it truly does work without WiFi if it does I might actually put some more money on here to use around town to freak people out.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I just used mine at CVS without an internet connection, you just have to make sure your device is awake ( screen is up) when you attempt to tap it on the credit machine.
  9. #9  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,370 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    Quote Originally Posted by circleinsideabox View Post
    I just used mine at CVS without an internet connection, you just have to make sure your device is awake ( screen is up) when you attempt to tap it on the credit machine.
    So you have to actually touch it to the machine, or just wave it?
  10. #10  
    HAAS599's Avatar

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Yes it will work. The money is for that device so even if you had say a galaxy nexus it would not be available on the galaxy. Once you use it the next time your on WiFi your account will update.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    If I add funds to the card will that money show up on each of my devices?

    Sent from my Nexus 7
  11. #11  
    vzwty's Avatar

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default

    Mine didn't work for some reason today at 7-11. No WiFi bit it worked there the day before

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    I have confirmed that it indeed does work w/o internet. I used it at 7-11 today.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    I used GWallet with Internet at McDonalds as well. The checkout lady was amazed lmao
    I was just wondering what possible reasons are there to use this method to make purchases. Like most people I have a checking account with a debit card.
    Does anyone know any reasons why someone would want to use the GWallet instead?
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  14. #14  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts

    Default

    You'd don't need an internet connection to make purchases. An internet connection is required to populate all activity on your account on your device. You can do this next time you connect to Wi-Fi.

    Think of it as your card stored in your device, just like when you swipe your credit card all information on your card is transferred to the store and they connect with your bank. The same happens with the NFC chip that stores your credit card info.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  15. #15  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    789 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by android4life007 View Post
    I used GWallet with Internet at McDonalds as well. The checkout lady was amazed lmao
    I was just wondering what possible reasons are there to use this method to make purchases. Like most people I have a checking account with a debit card.
    Does anyone know any reasons why someone would want to use the GWallet instead?
    you would never have to carry a credit card ever again or worry about losing them. You can set up all your credit cards to work via Google wallet. Debit cards did away with cash, Google wallet does away with credit or debit cards.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    you would never have to carry a credit card ever again or worry about losing them. You can set up all your credit cards to work via Google wallet. Debit cards did away with cash, Google wallet does away with credit or debit cards.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok thanks, I would prefer to use GWallet with my HTC Rezound instead since it can fit in my pocket although I see it does not show up on the Play Store when using my phone
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    I agree a smart phone is a better form factor for G-Wallet, fo-shizzel.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    88 FLUX's Avatar

    Posts
    630 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicornRancher View Post
    I agree a smart phone is a better form factor for G-Wallet, fo-shizzel.
    I have Google Wallet configured on both my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. I use it all the time on my GNex (and will even more now with today's update) but can't imagine myself ever using it with my Nexus 7. Just seems too odd to use a 7" tablet on a PayPass machine.

    But I must say that using my GNex brings many stares of curiosity and amazement.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

    Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom

Posting Permissions