Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vap1d-
  • 1 Post By kenyee
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Ok, now that most of us have had the Nexus 7 for a couple days has anyone found a reliable or simple storage solution for it???

    I have seen a couple of ideas on the web but they were only in theory and not actually tested out because we didn't have the N7 in our hands yet...

    Please share your ideas/solutions. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    For me I'll be using Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Skydrive. Not sure which one yet. Haven't had mine for 12 hours yet
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Root + stickmount from play store + USB otg cable + 32gig patriot axle USB drive works for me.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by Vap1d- View Post
    Root + stickmount from play store + USB otg cable + 32gig patriot axle USB drive works for me.
    I just looked up Root + Stickmount on the Play Store and it says you need to be Rooted
    Wow, you rooted your N7 pretty fast! I am not rooted and don't really plan on it anytime soon. Do you happen to know of an alternative app???

    Also, I don't quite understand how you use a axle usb drive, it looks just like a normal USB drive and I have one already, do you really need an axle USB drive to use with the USB OTG cable?


    Amazon.com: QVS CC2218C1M Micro-USB OTG Cable for Cell Phone and PDA: Cell Phones & Accessories
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I just know what is in fact working for me. From a discussion on xda some flash drives work some do not. And as far as USB host mode / otg functionality without root only certain types of devices work - keyboards mice etc. To mount a storage device it requires root and an app like stickmount. The USB otg cable is male micro USB on one side and normal size female USB on the other that you can plug a flash drive or card reader etc in to and from what I understand has an extra pin that allows this usage.
    Thanked by:
    android4life007 likes this.
  6. #6  
    Joelist's Avatar

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Just get a WiDrive - no rooting needed and the app to access it is free from Play.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by Vap1d- View Post
    I just know what is in fact working for me. From a discussion on xda some flash drives work some do not. And as far as USB host mode / otg functionality without root only certain types of devices work - keyboards mice etc. To mount a storage device it requires root and an app like stickmount. The USB otg cable is male micro USB on one side and normal size female USB on the other that you can plug a flash drive or card reader etc in to and from what I understand has an extra pin that allows this usage.
    OK I understand, looks like I will be rooting my N7 after all

    Thanks you rock!
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    android4life007's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    Verizon Stock ICS

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    Just get a WiDrive - no rooting needed and the app to access it is free from Play.
    WiDrive sounds like a good idea too!
    -We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I actually considered the widrive as well. It is pretty cool but pricey and one more thing you have to make sure you charge...

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...idcentral00-20
    Is the otg cable I bought, now that I have it I wish I'd have gotten one of the 90 angled cables. Oh well, it works and was a very cheap solution.
  10. #10  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Something like this wouldn't require rooting:



    It'll work on any device too..basically wifi storage drive..
    Thanked by 2:
    android4life007 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I use the CloudFTP by Hyperdrive. It is a small device with a USB port that creates a wireless portable FTP server. I then just plug a micro 32GB thumb drive into the USB port. This device basically creates a personal FTP server that allows you to stream movies and music or move stuff in and off the FTP server to ANY device. I use it on my computers, Macs, Android devices... And it even works with my iPad and iPhone devices as well. You can use thumb drives and portable Hard Drives with it. That gives you Unlimited storage possibilities. It also works pretty much with all file types I've thrown at it too.

    I had been looking for such a device for years. Looked at the Seagate Goflex Satellite and various others and the CloudFTP is hands down the best. Portable, small, and fast.

    I personally needed a device that allowed to store movies, music, pictures, books, PDF's, Comics (CBR's & CBZ's) and Word/Excel documents that I could transfer stuff back and forth between it and all my devices... and this one does it all.

    Last edited by Moviecouple; 07-19-2012 at 09:32 AM.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Drop box and Box They both work very well.
  13. #13  

    Default

    fwiw I use dropbox

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  
    lk2race's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default

    I have g- drive, box and Dropbox. All three are having upload issues for me hough. I have cleared cache and file and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I can download but the upload keeps crashing on all 3. Any ideas?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I just use Picasa for all my photos and videos, Google Music for all my music, and Google drive for everything else. What do you need the extra USB storage for? Just curios what your putting on it that Google drive, picasa zmd Google music can't handle.
  16. #16  
    lk2race's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default

    Box gave me a 50 gb limit for life and I use it for work files
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I use this on both my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7: Amazon.com: Used and New: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

    Order from a US vendor for faster delivery.

    Both StickMount and Paragon NTFS & HFS+ work but require ROOT

    I have used both a USB Drive and Micro SD Adapter with a 32GB card with not problems.
  18. #18  

    Default

    I'm planning on using a USB drive with mine now that I have rooted it. Should be okay, Hoping to make use of Cloud based services too

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsInMyPants View Post
    I use this on both my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7: Amazon.com: Used and New: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

    Order from a US vendor for faster delivery.

    Both StickMount and Paragon NTFS & HFS+ work but require ROOT

    I have used both a USB Drive and Micro SD Adapter with a 32GB card with not problems.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be trying this cable out with a few of my USB drives.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    I also use Dropbox & Box for movies/music/books/files, and Picasa for my pictures. they are great and give you a decent amount of online storage.

    The issue I was facing is when I have no access to the internet or I am away on a trip and can't burn through all my data cap.

    That is why I love the CloudFTP device. I gives me that instant and unlimited accessibility to whatever I need. Yes... it is another device to port around and yes you have to recharge it, but that is all worth it when I can take 100's and 100's of movies and books with me and just swap them in an out at will. And it is only $99. Can't beat that

    It was a device that I was hoping would come around and finally it did. The Seagate Goflex Satellite was promising, but you can't transfer stuff from your tablet back to the Goflex... at least without a hack.

    That's my 2 cents.
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by Moviecouple View Post
    I use the CloudFTP by Hyperdrive. It is a small device with a USB port that creates a wireless portable FTP server. I then just plug a micro 32GB thumb drive into the USB port. This device basically creates a personal FTP server that allows you to stream movies and music or move stuff in and off the FTP server to ANY device. I use it on my computers, Macs, Android devices... And it even works with my iPad and iPhone devices as well. You can use thumb drives and portable Hard Drives with it. That gives you Unlimited storage possibilities. It also works pretty much with all file types I've thrown at it too.

    I had been looking for such a device for years. Looked at the Seagate Goflex Satellite and various others and the CloudFTP is hands down the best. Portable, small, and fast.

    I personally needed a device that allowed to store movies, music, pictures, books, PDF's, Comics (CBR's & CBZ's) and Word/Excel documents that I could transfer stuff back and forth between it and all my devices... and this one does it all.




    Coolest idea seen today by me~
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze04 View Post
    I just use Picasa for all my photos and videos, Google Music for all my music, and Google drive for everything else. What do you need the extra USB storage for? Just curios what your putting on it that Google drive, picasa zmd Google music can't handle.
    There's a lot of time I don't have access to wifi. Especially with a personally owned device.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    i've been looking for something for my 2 externals to get nas going. any ideas?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Storage Solutions???

    Quote Originally Posted by UnicornRancher View Post
    There's a lot of time I don't have access to wifi. Especially with a personally owned device.
    this is what I'm interested in as well, I have an OTG cable in transit already(to get my playstation 3 controller working with 10" asus 700 tablet .. sorry still jazzed, bought both these tablets a week ago !). anyway, from what I'm reading in this thread some usb drives work and some don't ? w/o rooting the nexus 7 ? I'm trying to avoid rooting ..
  25. #25  

    Default

    I'm have 50gb on my drop box so I think I'm good for a while on storage....

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Posting Permissions

B