1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Nexus 7 Not Charging

So I have been plugging in my Nexus 7 and had it plugged in over night and it did not charge at all. It showed that is was charging with the lightning bolt in the battery icon but when I took it off the charger this morning it had 4% battery left. Is there something special about the charger that it came with or can I use any microusb?

It seems to be picky. I can charge mine with a Palm Pre or HTC wall adapter and cable but it won't charge with a Samsung wall adapter and cable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    ROM
    unlocked/rooted/stock rom

Won't work with the old Motorola one I have in my car either. My Galaxy Nexus seems picky too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

It maybe like all tablets that require the stock charger or stock car chargers due to size of the batteries. Similar to laptop chargers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Nexus 7 Not Charging

The Asus wall charger that shipped with my Nex7 isn't strong enough to charge it. I'm having to use the one from my Transformer Prime. That's the only USB charger I have that it seems to like.

ROM
    Full AOSP 4.2

My motherboard puts out 1.5A via USB but it didn't charge overnight. Guess it needs the full 2A.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I was using my Galaxy Nexus charger. The Asus charger did the trick :-)

I got my 16GB in Canada yesterday, back home in the UK today. The North American charger won't charge with the specified cable and a converter plug. Nor does it charge with several generations of Apple chargers. It does, however, charge with a 700mA Blackberry charger, weird!

I'll order a UK charger when they're available.

This is my first android device and so far I'm very pleased!

Try the blackberry premium charger too, that works pretty well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It seems that I am hit and miss with my chargers. My old Motorola charger that came with my DroidX works fine. Just have a charger from an old BlackBerry storm that works fine as well. So does the charger that came with my BlackBerry 9930. My Samsung Gnex charger seems to work as well. However I have a few Bluetooth headset chargers that it will not charge on. And I have a couple off brand chargers that will not work either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've only tried it with the charger it came with. I also charge my Galaxy Nexus with the Nexus 7 charger now. It's super fast.

Weird. So far I've charged mine on the official charger, my Gnex charger, my Kindle charger, and my wife's Kindle Fire charger. Worked fine on all of them. Granted, it was slow as hell on the low amperage chargers, but it still charged.

Quote Originally Posted by EJT View Post
    Weird. So far I've charged mine on the official charger, my Gnex charger, my Kindle charger, and my wife's Kindle Fire charger. Worked fine on all of them. Granted, it was slow as hell on the low amperage chargers, but it still charged.
    I've tried a htc diamond charger, galaxy ace 2 charger, some other one plus the one provided with the nexus 7. The chargers all charge my htc desire, but none of them do anything for my nexus 7. I'm currently waiting for someone at Google to sort me out with the information needed for a return.

Here's a weird one - over the weekend, the battery completely discharged but I managed to leave the charger that came with it at my desk in the office. "No big deal," I thought, "I'll just plug it into my computer." Battery icon comes on, says it's charging, then the icon goes away. Figured it was just to turn the screen off.

After about an hour, I turned it on. Nexus symbol comes on, then the screen turns off. Figured it wasn't getting enough juice from the USB plug, so I told myself to just wait till Monday when I'm in the office.

Now that I'm here and it's on the charger it came with, though, nothing's happening. No screen light-up, nothing. Even tried different outlets and one I know works because my Verizon MiFi was charging there (and yes, tried the MiFi adapter, no luck).

Anyone else experiencing this or do I have a bum unit? Saw some stuff at XDA about it, but not a whole lot else. I'd hate to have to return it...

ROM
    Stock/Stock Rooted

Had the same issue last week. My stock, ASUS charger and USB cable would NOT charge the unit whatsoever. I had it plugged in for 14 hours, with the tablet turned off, and 0 charge went into the tablet.

Tried my Galaxy Nexus charger, and it worked, although charged very slowly...took 6 hours to charge it. I also hear a fairly audible crackling noise coming from the USB port on the Nexus when using either charger.

Called up Google, they confirmed the unit was defective. I got my replacement today, just now actually. Haven't opened it up yet.

If you're having problems with the stock charger, there's either an issue with your Nexus or the charger they gave you, and I would advise that ASAP you go and get a replacement device from your point of sale.

ROM
    Stock

I used the charger that came with my HTC Thunderbolt, which puts out 1 amp. Worked just fine, but it did take a while to charge. Using the one Asus included with the Nexus 7 certainly charged it a lot faster.

Haven't tried anything under a 1 amp charger yet, but I think even if it did work it would take so long to charge it wouldn't be useful.

Man am I glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the tip, I bought from Staples so hopefully I can just walk in and do a swap if they have any in stock. Also really glad I kept the box and receipt. Thanks again!

Only problem is that their return policy is 14 days, so I hope an exchange doesn't fall into that category. If so, I guess I'm SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcCraryNJ View Post
    Had the same issue last week. My stock, ASUS charger and USB cable would NOT charge the unit whatsoever. I had it plugged in for 14 hours, with the tablet turned off, and 0 charge went into the tablet.

Tried my Galaxy Nexus charger, and it worked, although charged very slowly...took 6 hours to charge it. I also hear a fairly audible crackling noise coming from the USB port on the Nexus when using either charger.

Called up Google, they confirmed the unit was defective. I got my replacement today, just now actually. Haven't opened it up yet.

If you're having problems with the stock charger, there's either an issue with your Nexus or the charger they gave you, and I would advise that ASAP you go and get a replacement device from your point of sale.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jinjelsnaps View Post
    Man am I glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the tip, I bought from Staples so hopefully I can just walk in and do a swap if they have any in stock. Also really glad I kept the box and receipt. Thanks again!

Only problem is that their return policy is 14 days, so I hope an exchange doesn't fall into that category. If so, I guess I'm SOL.
    If Staples gives you any trouble with the exchange, simply call ASUS.

This is a warranty issue, and should be covered under a standard warranty swap.

Obviously if Staples has any units in stock and is willing to make the exchange, then you'll get somewhat more instant gratification that way.

While trying to hook up my Nexus 7 for car charging using a DIY 5v 2amp SMPS I noticed the lightening bolt symbol not coming on even though it does with the 5v 2amp supplied wall wart. Still draws about 500mA though. Why no lightening bolt?. After reading this blog and poking around with a Multimeter I decided to visit Wikipedia - USB. It is all explained there: The device to be charged 'negotiates' with the charging device to 'agree' on the current limitations.

The long and short of this is that not all USB sockets have the same virility as far as charging capability goes and it is not a simple 5v output. Presumably the Nexus 7 does not charge or does not charge at high speed if this negotiation fails. For my DIY charger shorting the two unused data wires brings up the lightning bolts on the screen. Charge current remains the same however so I cant confirm if it was charging or otherwise before I shorted the wires because I didn't do any tests.

Look Here For Answers:

Same thing happened to me..I charged it for 12 hours from 6 am to 6 p.m. ( 20 % left of battery supply when I put it to charge).When I turned it on tommorow the battery indicator said only 40 % left of battery.I charged with my charger with came with my nexus 7.But first time when I bought it,I am sure I turned it off,but something discharged the battery to 0 % over night.That day I did manage to charge it for 12 hours to 100 % and then used it for second time and then chariged it like I wrote here in this message.My nexus 7 is just a week old and this was my second time I charged it.

How did you manage to solve your problem?I am thinking about replacing device if it's possible...

Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

I'm having the same charging issue with the stock charger, it's simply not charging or charging very little. The only way I can charge my device is with my Touchpad charger. This happened after the 4.2 update. I was having no charging issues prior to this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

the same thing is happened to me mine in getting on I got it the day after they were released. Sometimes it just won't charge or it charges very slowly I am using the stock changer I plugged it in last night a 10 hours later it has gone from 30 to 80 and I turned it off before I started charging having read somewhere that a battery monitoring program was causing problems. This has happened before its strange because it says its charging if you turn it on it shows its charging in AC mode which should not take more then an hour to charge

Quote Originally Posted by dkrastes View Post
    This has happened before its strange because it says its charging if you turn it on it shows its charging in AC mode which should not take more then an hour to charge
    Where'd you get that idea?