I switched on airplane mode but I can still use WiFi and GPS, is this normal? If so what is the purpose of airplane mode?

Thx

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    07-19-2012 09:34 AM
    Airplane mode should turn off all radios but I haven't tested it on my N7.
    07-19-2012 09:55 AM
    I switched on airplane mode but I can still use WiFi and GPS, is this normal? If so what is the purpose of airplane mode?

Thx

Yep. Normal.
    07-19-2012 09:58 AM
    Airplane mode should turn of any transmitting radios. So WiFi and Bluetooth, I haven't tested it on mine.

GPS doesn't transmit, it only receives, so it's not required to be turned off on an airplane, though probably a good idea to save battery.
    07-19-2012 09:59 AM
    I put mine in Airplane Mode when I go to sleep so I'm not woke up by all kinds of notification noises or my phone either (they both go into Airplane Mode when I sleep). I have an app that tells them when to wake up so I don't have to do it manually. When they wake up sometimes it's a bit like a bad high school band with all the notifications coming in but at least I'm awake when it happens.
    07-19-2012 10:34 AM
    It's all a joke anyway. Do they really expect me to think my tablet is going to interfere with their machine.
    07-19-2012 10:36 AM
    Airplane mode turns all signals off but you can manually over ride.

Since Nexus 7 does not have a phone radio, you can practically out this device in airplane mode yet have all turned on manually.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    07-19-2012 10:48 AM
    Airplane mode turns off everything. 3G, 4G, Wifi, and GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    07-19-2012 12:26 PM
    Airplane mode turns off everything. 3G, 4G, Wifi, and GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Not on my unit: see I have Wifi working in airplane mode, in fact I've had airplane mode on for days and get all my notifications and surfing done no problem. Weird.

07-19-2012 12:50 PM
    Wi-Fi works on my Rezound in the airplane mode. I use it with Go Go while in flight.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    07-19-2012 12:53 PM
    Airplane mode has only ever really affected cell radios for me, and this doesn't have any.
    07-19-2012 01:16 PM
    It's all a joke anyway. Do they really expect me to think my tablet is going to interfere with their machine.
    I hate to break it to you but radios do interfere with electronics. I work at a power plant and radios have caused the plant to trip. If you want to be on a plane with people using phones go for it. I will pass.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.
    09-27-2012 04:56 PM
    I hate to break it to you but radios do interfere with electronics. I work at a power plant and radios have caused the plant to trip. If you want to be on a plane with people using phones go for it. I will pass.
    Which is why the FAA considered allowing cell phone use on planes but decided not to because passengers polled said it would be annoying. Just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    09-27-2012 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD