Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rfurman24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 6.1.1/Stock

Default Airplane mode?

I switched on airplane mode but I can still use WiFi and GPS, is this normal? If so what is the purpose of airplane mode?

Thx

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Airplane mode?

Airplane mode should turn off all radios but I haven't tested it on my N7.

Quote Originally Posted by limitproof View Post
    I switched on airplane mode but I can still use WiFi and GPS, is this normal? If so what is the purpose of airplane mode?

Thx

Yep. Normal.

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Airplane mode should turn of any transmitting radios. So WiFi and Bluetooth, I haven't tested it on mine.

GPS doesn't transmit, it only receives, so it's not required to be turned off on an airplane, though probably a good idea to save battery.

I put mine in Airplane Mode when I go to sleep so I'm not woke up by all kinds of notification noises or my phone either (they both go into Airplane Mode when I sleep). I have an app that tells them when to wake up so I don't have to do it manually. When they wake up sometimes it's a bit like a bad high school band with all the notifications coming in but at least I'm awake when it happens.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

It's all a joke anyway. Do they really expect me to think my tablet is going to interfere with their machine.

Airplane mode turns all signals off but you can manually over ride.

Since Nexus 7 does not have a phone radio, you can practically out this device in airplane mode yet have all turned on manually.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Airplane mode turns off everything. 3G, 4G, Wifi, and GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 6.1.1/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    Airplane mode turns off everything. 3G, 4G, Wifi, and GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Not on my unit: see I have Wifi working in airplane mode, in fact I've had airplane mode on for days and get all my notifications and surfing done no problem. Weird.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplane mode?-uploadfromtaptalk1342720153476.jpg  

Wi-Fi works on my Rezound in the airplane mode. I use it with Go Go while in flight.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Airplane mode has only ever really affected cell radios for me, and this doesn't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by mkiker2089 View Post
    It's all a joke anyway. Do they really expect me to think my tablet is going to interfere with their machine.
    I hate to break it to you but radios do interfere with electronics. I work at a power plant and radios have caused the plant to trip. If you want to be on a plane with people using phones go for it. I will pass.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
    I hate to break it to you but radios do interfere with electronics. I work at a power plant and radios have caused the plant to trip. If you want to be on a plane with people using phones go for it. I will pass.
    Which is why the FAA considered allowing cell phone use on planes but decided not to because passengers polled said it would be annoying. Just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus