connected to a secured wifi automatically?

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
okay, I may be missing something, but took my N7 to work for the first time since it arrived. We have a secured wifi network. I flipped on the N7 when to connect to the network with the password and it was already connected. So, checked the router settings to make sure one of the other guys didn't change anything, which they did not.

Now, my Android phone has the wifi settings in it to connect when I choose to, but I''m wondering how the N7 got the password without me putting it in. Did it sync to my phone? Not sure how it would since the network settings are not backed up by Goog that I know of.

Any ideas?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how it happened, syncing w/your phone I *think* makes sense but I'm a networking dummy. I would not want any device of mine picking who to hook up with so what happened to you is a pretty scary thought.

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
If you have an Android phone or other Android device it synced your existing wifi profiles to your N7.
On mine it synced the passwords to all my wireless networks.

Last edited:

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If you used the same google account to register your Nexus 7 as your phone, and your account is set to backup your settings to google, then yes, that's how it auto logged in. It should also have any other WiFi networks you've added as trusted on your phone now on your Nexus.

Google is storing your wifi password in the google cloud. You have to disable device settings backup to avoid this.

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replies. I figured it had to be from the phone, only thing that made any type of sense since the router settings have not changed. I was not aware that those settings in the phone were also backed up. Kinda nice, and kinda not at the same time.

crmango

May 1, 2013
Visit site
This happened with my phone at my friend's house. Neither my laptop nor my ipad could connect but my android phone is already connected to a secure network without entering any passwords!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa