is anyone returning their nexus 7 because of the glass issue?

lochmox

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Today I called google to see if they would give me a replacement tablet.

I was going to try xda' s screen fix but I did not have the balls to do it.

I wasn't expecting google at all to send me a replacement but they said they will!

Although I'm happy that I will be getting a brand new nexus 7 tablet, would

This count as one time insurance? I don't think it should because this was google/asus' s fault

moss27

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I got mine at Staples, I'm a little worried that they won't understand the issue to warrant a complete replacement.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried to today at gamestop they told they can't help me since there sold out till mid august and when they eventually get stock I'm going to be out of my 30day return/exchange policy. So I'm goin to call Google tomorrow

highergr0und

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm returning mine today.... bought it at Sams Club. The glass seemed fine at the start but has worked its way loose to where I feel it move when clicking on the left side.

I'm not worried about a replacement right now. I'll give it another try in a month or two as long as the newer batches seem to have a fix in place. I'm a bit disappointed but not mad.

DirtyPanda

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
My screen just started to come up on the left side, and there is a squeak now. Ordered from the play store and will call Google on Monday for a replacement. Its a shame because that's its only real fault.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My screen just started to come up on the left side, and there is a squeak now. Ordered from the play store and will call Google on Monday for a replacement. Its a shame because that's its only real fault.
Based on my experience, here's what will (or more accurately, won't) happen:

* You will wait on hold for 30-45 minutes before you will get a kid who can't do anything to help you, telling you that someone else will email you within a couple of days.

* After hearing nothing for three days, you will call back and get another kid who is sympathetic to your problem and promises to make sure someone contacts you.

* 27 hours later, you will have heard nothing and are reduced to griping about it on message boards, none of which gets you close to having a fixed unit.

Good luck to you.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I also have this issue, but I don't think I would have noticed it had I not been on the forums. I had a very similar issue on my iPad 2 and it was more than twice the price of the N7. There's a one year warranty, so I think ill wait this one out. If there's a problem moving forward, then I have time to address it. My guess is that I'll forget all abut this in a day or two!

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I also have this issue, but I don't think I would have noticed it had I not been on the forums. I had a very similar issue on my iPad 2 and it was more than twice the price of the N7. There's a one year warranty, so I think ill wait this one out. If there's a problem moving forward, then I have time to address it. My guess is that I'll forget all abut this in a day or two!

This was actually my situation. I hadn't noticed it until I looked because of a forum post somewhere (XDA, maybe).

It's not a big deal, and most of the time I can't even tell, but I figured I may as well get it replaced just in case it could get a lot worse later.

I just hope my replacement is good. My current one (except for the glass issue) appears to be perfect (to me).

Last edited:

MajesticFlame

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Last night I got an email for the exchange. I actually tightened the screws but it is still lose enough I notice. That isn't the main reason for exchanging though, I have two or three pixels out right next to each other. It's been a long time since I've have gotten a device with a screen that has bad pixels.

illest813

May 16, 2011
Visit site
What do you suggest we do then? I just realized a dead pixel and that the glass was coming off. I called Google, got the kid and the email story. I am going abroad and a little over a week and was REALLY hoping to have a new one by then. Is that possible? Is there anything Else I can do to speed it up? I bought through the play store

Also, really annoying because it took me a while to get everything loaded and customized on my tablet. Is there anyway I can back this up somehow ams just load it on the new one?

Edit: should I do the exchange through the website? Will it mess up my order since I called in already. Just trying to figure out fastest way I can get this processed. Thanks

king43

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
just introduced at staples on top of their 2yr plan they have a 1 year accidental for $40 what do you guys think. Should I buy or if mine messes up let Google replace it and if that bad of issue should get a recall

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I hear the Squaretrade warranty is a pretty cheap option if you're looking for an extended warranty. Everything I read about them seems to be fairly positive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

alkthree87

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sending mine back, but more because of a dead pixel than the separation. I could live with the slight separation, but I wont put up with a faulty screen itself.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
In the process of an exchange with Google Play - I'm waiting for that magical email to come so I can initiate the process after spending an hour on hold a few days ago.

RiceEatin2010GT

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My tablet is perfect beside for the glass issue, for now I'm gonna leave it. Doesn't really bother me. I've got a blackberry torch that does the famous screen wobble lol.

paulm64

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at mine and sure enough, the glass was slightly lifted on the left side. Only visible if you take a hard edge on look. I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for this forum. I took my finger and gently pressed it down while sliding my finger along the edge. Seems fine. Don't think I'll be returning it for that unless it gets worse. Otherwise, it's seem prefect. No problem with the screen, or dead pixels, or anything.

imthekingbk

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Google Play support and they could not have been any more helpful/friendly with helping me with my Nexus7. I was not put on hold and spoke to someone right away. FWIW, the representative that I spoke to (who seemed very knowledgeable) said that the screen lift issue has been a very common one and they have found a fix for the ones that are being replaced. Got to love good customer service, I am just hoping that they have the problem fixed!