Video formats supported

phoenix623

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised ( and upset) Nexus 7 does not support avi! Is there anywhere I can go to get the codecs for that? I have an huge collection of avi videos, I don't want to have to convert any of them. My ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 played them all without any problem (ICS).
Any help would be appreciated:)

edgeless

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
MX player is the way to go. You don't even need the pro version. Free version comes with ads but I think that's only when you're connected to the internet

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I see that VLC has a Beta version for Android:

VideoLAN - VLC media player for Android?

I thought I'd give this a shot, but I can't! I'm used to seeing the message at the top of the app description, "This item isn't compatible with your device."

But this time it says, "This item isn't available in your country." Geez, I feel so... left out! I guess the U.S. just isn't a big enough market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I got the same message...But if you do a search on 'VLC Android', you'll come across the APK install file pretty quickly. I have it running nicely on my N7 now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Strange reason, however this is apparently why:

"However, if you live in the United States or Canada, you will not be able to get the VLC beta from the Play Store. VLC is available globally through the Play Store except for North America. The VLC team explains that they do not have access to North America-specific Android devices to test the builds with. If you live in North America and wish to use VLC for Android, you can grab auto-built nightlies for your Android device from the VideoLAN nightly build server. If you live outside of North America, head to the Play Store to grab the beta. The VideoLAN nightly build server has builds for ARMv6, ARMv7 with NEON, and Tegra 2, so no one gets left out of the party."

VLC for Android beta now available, unless you’re a North American | ExtremeTech

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mr.nobody. I really should have researched this myself, but I guess that's what the community is for. Anyway, here's the link to the apk in case anyone is interested:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/armv7-android-tegra2/

I got the same message...But if you do a search on 'VLC Android', you'll come across the APK install file pretty quickly. I have it running nicely on my N7 now.
I'm not sure exactly what you found, but all I saw with that search were the many VLC remote control apps. No matter, thanks to mr.nobody's help. Thanks anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
In fact, I'm in Canada, and I get an install button for vlc in the play store so maybe it's just a US restriction?
But I thought Canada was part of the United States. ;)
(Sorry, totally inappropriate and insulting, but I couldn't resist! :D )

Anyway, downloaded VLC. Navigation seemed to work, though not the smoothest, and it wouldn't show video for an mp4 while the audio played, then it crashed. Oh well, as the dev states explicitly, it's very much beta and unstable. I uninstalled it and will try again when it's in final form.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I take it back...I can see the NEON version but I guess that's not the right one for nexus 7? Not that I really care, bsplayer is now my goto on android so no need really for vlc...

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you can't download a specific App or program in the US, try using a proxy and cloak your machine in a country without restrictive laws.

or you can just download the android version from Videolan.org and install it (called sideloading) with settings > security > unknown sources enabled

easy