Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Transfering mkv files

I'm having a problem transferring mkv files to my Nexus 7. Windows seems to crash every time I attempt it, yet I seem to have no problems with mp4 files. Is anyone else having this problem?

Have you tried airdroid, or using es file explorer as a samba client?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Transfering mkv files

I hadn't yet. But I recently talked to a Google rep about this, and he confirmed that the Nexus 7 device doesn't support mkv files. I guess I'll just try and convert the MKVs to MP4s

Hi, I know this is a bit of an old post but I figured a simply work around to this problem when I encountered it.
    I simply edited my .mkv file to include a underscore after like so .mkv_. Once transferred, I edited the file back to the original .mkv and hey presto it worked. Also after some research on this problem it seems by uninstalling DivX on your PC you are able to transfer .mkv files freely. This didn't work for me but it did for some of the folks over at the xda forums.
    Last edited by droidmarve; 09-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.

The renaming files is a good trick that works for everything that I've tried. I also took "."[periods] out of a few files and they then copied fine. Don't remember if they were .mkv or something else though.

Nexus 7 doesn't support mkv formats,then try some video program and maybe it can work.

I have transferred some mkv videos fine, MX player plays them fine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

If you need to convert your videos, try Freemake Video Converter. Excellent free program, isn't plagued by ads.

Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download