Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pdhahn
  • 1 Post By uM-elo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default One dead pixel

Here's my dilemma...My original unit I received from Staples had the bulging glass so I returned it to the store, now I've found a single dead pixel on the replacement which you can only see on black/grey screens with the brightness turned up beyond it's lowest setting. The glass is tight all the way around though. The guys at Staples looked at me like I was being about pain about the loose glass, I'm sure they'll think I'm neurotic for complaining about one tiny speck. Would you guys return it or am I being too picky?

ROM
    Stock

Doesn't matter what we think. You'll return it.

-- Sent from my soon-to-be-replaced iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: One dead pixel

Nah, honestly believe it or not I value other user's opinions. I will admit though I am leaning towards bring it back and possibly waiting a bit to pick up another one. The problem is I really do enjoy the device.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I had two dead pixels on mine, next day I saw 4 more I contacted google today for a return hopefully I receive my new unit next week >_>

ROM
    Mirage

I'd want to return it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I'd return it. Knowing it is there is going to always draw your eyes to it. It would drive me nuts
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah, since I've noticed it it's like a giant middle finger staring me in the face. It's going back tonight. I'm not sure if I can talk myself into taking a chance on a third one, I might just get my money back.

ROM
    CM 9.1

I have like 2 dead pixels on my refurb 5 yr old vizio lcd. You wouldn't be able to even tell if I didn't tell you.. Now on a small screen like a tablet. I'm sure you can probably tell instantly. I'd return it and try to get a perfect unit, you paid good money for it. Might as well get your moneys worth.

I have the exact same issue. I bought mine at staples and I'm very happy with the device overall, except there is a single green (!) pixel near the bottom of the screen. I don't notice it much, and I don't want to have to reload everything i've already downloaded etc, but then again, I may just be rationalizing. Staples wouldn't have sold me the device if I were just a few dollars short, so maybe I shouldn't be content with a device that is "mostly" what I was expecting.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I've decided to return mine. I called Staples about the issue earlier and they were actually pretty rude to me, so I guess they don't want my money. I'll probably order one straight from Google so at the very least I'm dealing with the source.

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    Doesn't matter what we think. You'll return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhahn View Post
    I've decided to return mine.

I'll probably order one straight from Google so at the very least I'm dealing with the source.
    I'd stick with a local retailer. You have to pay tax no matter what, with Google, you have to pay shipping too. It sounds like there are a lot of defective devices no matter where you buy it.

I'm returning mine, I may revisit in a few months.

So I've had mine since last Tuesday and noticed this morning that one of my pixels is hot white only from a certain angle. I can only see it against white or colored backgrounds, and again, only if I angle it and look at the tablet askew. It doesn't seem to appear when the background is black, for example in the Kindle app. Other than this minor pixel defect, the display looks fine.

Is this necessarily a dead pixel? Could it be stuck? It's not gamebreaking, but of course, it's like my baby, so I'm worried.

I'm also afraid that maybe the humidity on the east coast could be adversely affecting the screen like that. Anyhow, any feedback or responses would be appreciated.

EDIT: Now I'm noticing an almost black, smokey smudge right above the brightened pixel...
    Last edited by wundertunge; 07-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.

ROM
    Stock

I've decided to return mine. I called Staples about the issue earlier and they were actually pretty rude to me, so I guess they don't want my money. I'll probably order one straight from Google so at the very least I'm dealing with the source.

Did you call the local store or a national number? If the people in the local store were rude, I'd return it for money back, then call the national number and explain exactly why.

Two returns is a pain for the store to deal with, granted, but they were defective units.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I ended up calling the national number because the store tried to give me a gift card instead of refunding my credit card even though I had my receipt. Supposedly they're sending someone to pick up my return and I won't get a refund for about 6-10 business days. Lesson learned...from now on I'm only doing returns and never exchanges.
    bmyers_az likes this.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS - Bugless Beast 1/22

I have two dead pixels. One is on the status bar, so I only notice it in apps that hide it. The other is on the lower right hand side. I'm debating on returning the device to Staples. I seriously doubt I would be able to get an exchange if they're out of stock.

Mine has two dead pixels, I'm planning on returning it soon as I just can't deal with this.
    But I'm keeping it till I get my phone back(also suffering from dead pixels).
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

My dead pixel was right in the middle of the screen, otherwise I might have been able to at least try to ignore it.

My dead pixel was right in the middle of the screen, otherwise I might have been able to at least try to ignore it.
    The two are right around the top right of the screen, not topmost though, about 1 inch away from it though. But when I read something I can see them and it's really annoying.

Guys, how do I determine whether my pixel is stuck vs. dead?

I've had one on my TV for a few years and didn't notice it until someone pointed it out... now I always stare at it.....

Unless it doesn't bother you, return it.
    Amir Mairaj likes this.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I returned mine because it had only 1 dead pixel. As soon as I noticed it, it drove me crazy. My new Nexus 7 is perfect... No defects whatsoever. Return it otherwise you will regret it later. Better for resale value too :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Well I got mine replaced because it had a dead pixel or stuck pixel and they gave me a new one then on the new nexus7 there was another stuck or dead pixel but on right side but its hardly noticeable so my suggestion is if noticeable return it but if its where mine is your probably OK.....I'm not going to return mine :-)

I just realized my device has one hot pixel in the middle of the screen--sucks because when you see it, you can never unsee it! Too bad ASUS couldn't give a rat's *** about stuck/dead pixels, unless there are a bunch of them :P. I should have inspected the device more thoroughly when I bought it..