Any reason NOT to unlock/root?

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Good news: changing DPI is no longer required for tablet mode. You can now have everything full sized, with no app problems at all :D

Check out Team Eos ROM if you're interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes which requires loading a ROM. While I have done it a bunch with my phones I choose to stay pure stock on my Nexus 7.

I know I'm being difficult. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe alternative launchers require rooting.

Here's a solution to Home Screen rotation that does NOT require rooting: Ultimate Rotation Control (available in the Play store.)

They do not unless something has changed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Gogglr

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is true or not but I hear that rooting your Nexus 7 will permanently break the security of NFC or something so that you cannot use it in the future.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Best answer yet. I am new to Android and the first day It was unlock and rootet. I used StickMount, Titanium Backup and ES File Explorer. Played with it till I got it screwed up and just followed the guide and went right back to stock except 4.2 instead of 4.1.2 but that was my choice. Seeing that I can go back to like new in about five minuets I will be just like Ravynmagi and Unlocking and rooting will be automatic for me. Also if you wait to unlock it wipes your machine.
BTW: ES File Explorer really should have its own thread. I have unlimited space on a server and can FTP right to it just like another file using ES File Explorer. Very neat to be able to go from my root folder or sd card to unlimited space on a remote site with one program. Using ES File Explorer I really don't see as I will ever need more then the 16GB that my Nexus 7 has.

I really see no reason to not unlock and root if you want to take advantage of the things you can do with having that freedom.
I think there have been instances where a developer won't allow an app to install on a rooted phone. Though that's very rare and I can't think of any at the moment. And you can easily unroot your phone if you encounter such an app.

Unlocking and rooting is automatic for me. I love being able to install ad blocking software and having a good backup tool like Titanium Backup. Was also nice having root so I could try out that DPI tweak to enable the tablet UI on the Nexus 7.

Of course another reason not to could be that rooted users tend to want to tweak and mess around more and you can certainly mess up your phone pretty good if you mess up with a tweak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34