Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you charge your Nexus 7

Ok so i was wondering how everyone here charges their Nexus 7. Right now mine is at home sitting on the charger as it was about 35% when i woke up this morning and wanted to make sure it was fully charged when i get home from work.

Think that's too long for it to stay on the charger?

Or should i just use it like my phone, charge it at night then power it off during the day maybe?
    Last edited by AlphaVictor87; 07-20-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB // CM10 JB

Default Re: How do you charge your Nexus 7

I charge mine at night and it lasts all day and then some, depending on how heavily I use it.

Have been charging mine as and when needed. Tonight I shall plug it in to charge and it'll be ready for me in the morning

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

There is really no reason that you have to unplug it and turn it off during the day. It works just like your phone in that it will not get overcharged.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM 9.1

The past two nights in a row I charged it overnight to wake up to an almost dead tablet. (was using cable from my phone)

My phone cable can charge my phone from dead to full in less than 2 hours. And the provided cable/adapter for the N7 made my charge only go from 25% in an hour.

I've noticed that the Nexus 7 charges similar to my old BlackBerry. It's very picky about what cable to use and what charger. Of course the stock one works but my old BlackBerry charger works whereas my iPad charger doesn't. I just put it on to charge overnight regardless of how much I have left.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Dennis Brown likes this.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

With electricity! Zing!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanked by:
    naruses, YAYTech and jomarr like this.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Def depends on what you are charging it with. Luckily I can use the same charger from my galaxy s3 and it charges pretty quickly and the cord is much longer.
    mtbusiness likes this.

I charge mine with the cable provided connected to a powered USB hub that is connected to my computer. It charges overnight even with the computer turned off. It charges slower than with the provided 2 amp charger but that is better. Slower charging causes less battery heat and longer battery life.

Mine seems to either not be picky, or Amazon and Asus have similar specs. I have a long white cable that goes with a Kindle v4 and a charging cord for a Kindle Fire. Each devices (including the Nexus) cable will work on each other. I use the Nexus USB currently with the white cable as it's the most amperage and the longest cable.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I have charged it twice since it arrived on Tue...Killing the battery each time. Its almost due for its 3rd charge now. Used the charger from my GN in the wall. Clearly I'm not using it much.

The Air is still my choice for getting things done. Posting in forums is especially tedious compared to using a laptop.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

I use my Kindle Fire wall charger. I don't usually charge it overnight. I have a couple of times though. No problems yet.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I am using a HP touchpad charger. It charges real fast. Love those chargers. Glad I got a few extra ones.
    Thanked by 2:
    S-Doo-1965 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfs830 View Post
    I am using a HP touchpad charger. It charges real fast. Love those chargers. Glad I got a few extra ones.
    Yeah, the TouchPad charger is so much nicer than the one that came with the Nexus. I'm just going to use that, now that you mention it.
    Last edited by paul-c; 07-20-2012 at 09:54 PM.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9

I use the ASUS charger that came with my N7. It charges slow, but works pretty well. Of course the battery life lasts awhile too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If your like me and have super OCD about details of your devices and still own an oscilloscope. You will notice that the charger for the Nexus7 is alot similar to the charger for the Asus TF-101 in the fact that they run a deep cycle wave to charge with. True deep cycle charging is not the fastest method but it is the most complete method for a full charge. Lithium-ion type batteries that are not fully charged at least once every 2 weeks or so will slowly lose the capacity not being used.

If your like me and have super OCD about details of your devices and still own an oscilloscope. You will notice that the charger for the Nexus7 is alot similar to the charger for the Asus TF-101 in the fact that they run a deep cycle wave to charge with. True deep cycle charging is not the fastest method but it is the most complete method for a full charge. Lithium-ion type batteries that are not fully charged at least once every 2 weeks or so will slowly lose the capacity not being used.
    zedorda, when you talk about this deep cycle wave, are you talking about the behaviour of the piece that plugs into the wall itself or the wire? I currently have a SGNex and a Nexus 7 and am trying to figure out the best combination of cables/plugs to carry with me. Right now I've just been carrying the charger for both the SGNex and the Nexus 7, but I was thinking if I just carried the Nexus 7 charger around it should be sufficient to charge both. I'm learning more and more that all these micro-USB cables aren't quite the same, so I just wanted to make sure.

i hate how it takes 4 hours to charge

Quote Originally Posted by ashokraju View Post
    zedorda, when you talk about this deep cycle wave, are you talking about the behaviour of the piece that plugs into the wall itself or the wire? I currently have a SGNex and a Nexus 7 and am trying to figure out the best combination of cables/plugs to carry with me. Right now I've just been carrying the charger for both the SGNex and the Nexus 7, but I was thinking if I just carried the Nexus 7 charger around it should be sufficient to charge both. I'm learning more and more that all these micro-USB cables aren't quite the same, so I just wanted to make sure.
    The plugin the wall part is what produces the deep cycle process and the cable may contribute but I can't be sure I don't have the tools to test to what degree. I have noticed the stock cable charges the N7 faster than the 3rd party cables I own.

Read the manual and states to only use the provided charging cable as your phone charger won't charge it all the way/correctly.
    Thanked by:
    myl0tt 

I have a charging station on my nightstand. The microUSB chargers are a generic one I picked up at Target for my Galaxy S2 phone and the one that came with either my Nexus 7 or Galaxy nexus a week ago.

My phone goes on the charger at night. The tablet goes on in the morning provided it has dropped below 50% and I anticipate using it a lot later. I tend to forget that stuff.

Only thing I don't do is attempt to charge it by USB to the computer. I was listening to Devorak over the weekend complain about the long charge time and he admitting to using USB for charging. My iPad days taught me not to rely on USB to charge the bigger battery.

I received my Nexus 7 yesterday, and it was at 65%
    after setting it up through Google Play. I had it connected to the charger that came with, while using it for a few hours, then I powered it off, to charge overnight. After more then 16 hours, it still isn't at 100%.
    I'll admit, I have a Non Nexus 7 USB extension between the devices plug, and power adapter at the surge protector.

Does anyone think this odd? Should I try with a USB 3.0 extension, or just the micro adapter plug(Nexus 7's own) straight into the power plug?

ROM
    VeganTAB, AreaRom

Pay attention to how much milliamps the chargers are. Most phone chargers or ipod chargers from what I've seen are around 500-800 I do however have a 1200 that charges super fast.

Sent from my LG Optimus Slider (AreaROM 2.0)

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    ROM
    Depends on what day

Using an old BlackBerry charger I actually charge mine most of the day (have it set up using Tablet Talk and a Logitech bluetooth keyboard to text throughout the day which I do a lot for work and personal).

At night I do not charge it as I usually fall asleep while reading a book with it, so it goes off but does not drain too much at night.

ROM
    Stock Nexus 4

Why did they provide such a short USB cord for the nexus? I can use any old USB to micro USB or get a USB extender and charging will still work as expected? I don't know about the rest of you but for me, a 3 ft USB cable will not reach many outlets that my tablet would ultimately end up for charging.

Heck I am bringing this thing to work just so I can charge it away from my 2 year old and while it is connected the tablet is basically useless because I can't grab it, wire is barely long enough the reach the desk and the plug is directly under where I put the tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast