Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

Hi there- can you elaborate on the use of Overdrive Media Console for downloading ebooks from the library? The app continues to ask me for my Adobe ID and as it redirects me to "get ID" the website times out? Is there any way around this? Thanks for your time!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

I use the Nook reader for epub files. Works well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hmac03 View Post
    Hi there- can you elaborate on the use of Overdrive Media Console for downloading ebooks from the library? The app continues to ask me for my Adobe ID and as it redirects me to "get ID" the website times out? Is there any way around this? Thanks for your time!
    No idea why it's timing out (are you connected to wifi/internet?) but you could try going to adobe.com using your computer's web browser and create your adobe id there. Then you can just enter it in overdrive rather than trying to create the account from there.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac03 View Post
    I noticed that if you download the eBooks from the net using Overdrive - the ebooks are stored in the application. That was a default finding and I actually prefer to use Aldiko it's A LOT easier! really really easy - you tell the application where to pull the eBooks! Love it!

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Aldiko FTW. I read all my books on Aldiko.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    mr_nobody likes this.

Are MOBI and PRC formats compatible with Nexus 4?
    I need desperately a quick answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Shimanovich View Post
    Are MOBI and PRC formats compatible with Nexus 4?
    I need desperately a quick answer!
    They're compatible with the Kindle app, which you can install on the Nexus 4

Sent from my M470BSA

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

I just went to http://play.google.com/books
    Clicked Uploads
    Clicked Upload Files
    And dragged and dropped all my epub files into Google Books. Now they are all in my Google Books library in the cloud, and I can just pin the ones I want to keep on my device.

But this doesn't work for DRM protected files

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../3097151?hl=en
    That link seems to answer your question. Unfortunately you download the file to your computer first and then can load it on to your Google Play Books by going to "Uploads." This still does not work for me borrowing library titles though because of the permissions. I still had to use the Overdrive Media Console app to read the library book. That app lets you make font bigger and choose day or night but you are stuck with that glaring white page instead of picking say "sepia" from the Google app, which seems to be a nice reader for a tablet that is not a dedicated ereader.

if you have downloaded an epub from a 3rd party source (ie you have it on your computer and want to read it on the nexus or android with overdrive), you need to drag-n-drop the epub file to the nexus into any folder, lets say the Download folder. Then use ASTRO FILE MANAGER, browse to that epub you have just placed in the download folder and open it. Choose to open with Opendrive. The epub will now be loaded into your bookshelf and you can read it like normal. note that the epub must be DRM-free. Pretty much every epub book you download from a torrent site will already have DRM removed.

My problem was I had many KINDLE ( .mobi files) on my computer, downloaded from the NET. To also read them on my NEXUS 7, I downloaded them to the DCIM folder. Then moved them to the KINDLE folder. Now I can read them OK. The trick ,on the NEXUS, was to open the required .MOBI file (hold, until the options appear) then select MOVE. Go to the top of screen & press UP, until you find the KINDLE folder displayed. Then simply press PASTE.
    Your .MOBI file will now be in the correct folder. Open your KINDLE app, and presto your book will be there.
    Other files, similarly downloaded from your computer, should or can – be moved to their correct folders.
    Last edited by Hervey Bay Cliff; 01-28-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: clarity of posting
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12