how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have downloaded the kindle e reader to my new nexus 7 and downloaded two.prc files, one of which wouldn't open correctly. So I downloaded a copy in epub format, but now cannot figure out what directory on my Nexus 7 the epub file should be moved to for the built-in reader. I can't even find the free books that came with the Nexus 7. Were are they stored?

96Cobra

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I didn't try the Kindle reader app, but with the Barnes & Noble Nook reader app, I created a directory (with my PC) in the Nexus 7 root directory called Nook\MyDocuments. I put some epub documents in there and I can read them with the Nook app no problem.

FYI, I tried the Sony eReader app, and it works fine, but only for content from the eReader store. I was unable to figure out where to put an ePub doc so the app could find it..

Last edited:

Josefius

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
There are 3rd party programs that will convert e-books to what ever format you need. I forget what I have installed, but Google should help you find the free one.

Btw, it's a PC program.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Overdrive Media Console, primarily for downloading ebooks from the library. But it handles any epub file just fine.

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
There is a KINDLE folder and you should be able to put the epub file there. That is what I did with a mobi file anyway!

See if this helps:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-forum/192447-kindle-dropbox-integration.html

I already know how to manually move files into the kindle directory. However, this technique only works with .prc or .mobi files, not .epub files. I took the other person's advice in these replies and installed the Nook application, and it seems to work just fine. I was able to open my epub file without any problems.

JP Miller

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't find where this question has been answered. Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) to be able to read them with the built in reader?

The posts after my question are informative but don't answer my question.
Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) on my Nexus 7 to be able to read them with the built in reader?

Last edited:

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I use Moon Reader+, seems to work nicely, just put the ebooks in my google drive folder and open it up on my tablet using moonreader

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use kobo reader. I really nice interface and will import your epub files so that you can read them. It's kinda neat - you can get rewards when you import new books or read late and stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JD Atlanta

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't find where this question has been answered. Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) to be able to read them with the built in reader?

The posts after my question are informative but don't answer my question.
Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) on my Nexus 7 to be able to read them with the built in reader?

Here's what I did:

I installed the Nook application on my Nexus 7. Then I rebooted the Nexus 7.

From my PC, I went to this folder:

Computer\Nexus 7\Internal storage\Nook\MyDocuments

I copied the epub file there. I started the Nook application. In the drop-down list in the upper-left, I changed the view from "books" to "all items". The book I added appears, without a custom cover. So there's no way to know WHICH book it is, but when I click on it, the book opens and seems to work okay.

The epub I loaded was "Sea Wolf" from Guttenberg. So not sure if the lack of title or cover is specific to the file or a problem with the app.

Hope this helps - James

JD Atlanta

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
One more note - I still can't open epub files directly from the "download" app (?) on the Nexus 7, or figure out how to move a file from the download app/folder/whatever to another folder on the device, without hooking up a cable to my PC.

I wasn't able to find a "Project Guttenberg" app - seems like an app that would help users download ebooks from Guttenberg without all this runaround would be a blessing.

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
the default directory for ebooks on the N7 is ...\Books

you can either use that folder, make your own or use any folder your Android reader app makes, as you like.

some readers make finding or setting the default folder for your books a royal pain in the butt, but others are better behaved.

so there it is...

personally I prefer to read my ebooks on my eInk screen Kindle - much easier on the eyes, and it lasts a helluva lot longer with out needing a recharge on the battery.

Alana Perumal

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Please can you explain how, after the Overdrive App is installed on my Nexus 7, I can add my epub files to the bookshelf? I've tried copying and pasting one epub file into the Overdrive folders on my nexus but nothing is working! Please tell me you can help

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You need to download it _using_ the overdrive app...ie: re-download the book from your library's overdrive service from within the overdrive app.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I strongly recommend this guide for you, How to read eBooks on Nexus 7, which covered detailed steps as to how to transfer&read books on Nexus 7. The download links of related apps were given as well.

That's kind of a self serving page at that link complete with selling the software they recommend, isn't it ? Full of half truths, opinion presented as fact and outright misdirection, if you ask me.

The fact is that reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
calibre - E-book management --> Calibre home
Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
MobileRead
614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
Best Free eBook Reader for Android ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com -----> same as above reviews
Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ----> real nice comparison tables

Last edited:

rachel_sez

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded items are stored in "Downloads" which is a circle with a green arrow in "all apps."

That said, I've downloaded two epub format books, and all the apps suggested here, and I can't get any of them to open.

:-/

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc