how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
One more note - I still can't open epub files directly from the "download" app (?) on the Nexus 7, or figure out how to move a file from the download app/folder/whatever to another folder on the device, without hooking up a cable to my PC.

I wasn't able to find a "Project Guttenberg" app - seems like an app that would help users download ebooks from Guttenberg without all this runaround would be a blessing.

Watt Pad is an app which has a lot of books. Check app store for gutenberg with one t.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
One more note - I still can't open epub files directly from the "download" app (?) on the Nexus 7, or figure out how to move a file from the download app/folder/whatever to another folder on the device, without hooking up a cable to my PC.

I wasn't able to find a "Project Guttenberg" app - seems like an app that would help users download ebooks from Guttenberg without all this runaround would be a blessing.

here is the link for the Project Gutenburg site app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=bVOORqQ2

A number of free book sites also have apps for Android but you may also use any browser to directly connect to their websites. Not exactly rocket science is it ?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That said, I've downloaded two epub format books, and all the apps suggested here, and I can't get any of them to open.

Rachel, can you tell us anything about which files you downloaded and what happens when you try to open them ? It IS possible that the files have DRM (copy protection) which may require a specific application to be used.

From MobilRead DRM discussion MobileRead Wiki - DRM :

"ePub DRM

While ePub is an industry standard that is generally well defined they did not define a method for even identifying DRM content. There is no standard implementation for this format. In practice there are three major systems currently in use.

Two of the systems are managed by Adobe. The Adobe DRM server is used by Adobe Digital Editions which used by most dedicated eBook Readers, and Barnes and Noble used for the nook. The third system is done by Apple via their iTunes application. For more information see Apple's FairPlay DRM.

The real problem for the user is they have to be careful when they have a device that can support more than one reading program. The systems available do not recognize the existence of another form of DRM and may behave strangely if they encounter it. Often there is no error message but only a display of a blank screen.

To make matters even more complicated for the user the DRM scheme in ePub is normally applied to a subset of the files inside the container. This can make an eBook seem to partially work in a reader as some things may appear normal while other things do not.

One of the most confusing partial use is when internal embedded fonts specified in the eBook are encrypted while other eBook elements are not. This can happen when copyrighted fonts are being used. Another technique that is less obtrusive to the user is to use obfuscated fonts which use and XOR (exclusive or) technique to obscure the fonts in an embedded font set so that it cannot be extracted and used by itself. This can sometimes be used to meet the copyright requirements imposed by the font designer. "

hmac03

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi there- can you elaborate on the use of Overdrive Media Console for downloading ebooks from the library? The app continues to ask me for my Adobe ID and as it redirects me to "get ID" the website times out? Is there any way around this? Thanks for your time!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there- can you elaborate on the use of Overdrive Media Console for downloading ebooks from the library? The app continues to ask me for my Adobe ID and as it redirects me to "get ID" the website times out? Is there any way around this? Thanks for your time!

No idea why it's timing out (are you connected to wifi/internet?) but you could try going to adobe.com using your computer's web browser and create your adobe id there. Then you can just enter it in overdrive rather than trying to create the account from there.

Alana Perumal

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I noticed that if you download the eBooks from the net using Overdrive - the ebooks are stored in the application. That was a default finding and I actually prefer to use Aldiko it's A LOT easier! really really easy - you tell the application where to pull the eBooks! Love it!

Therese Hart

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3097151?hl=en
That link seems to answer your question. Unfortunately you download the file to your computer first and then can load it on to your Google Play Books by going to "Uploads." This still does not work for me borrowing library titles though because of the permissions. I still had to use the Overdrive Media Console app to read the library book. That app lets you make font bigger and choose day or night but you are stuck with that glaring white page instead of picking say "sepia" from the Google app, which seems to be a nice reader for a tablet that is not a dedicated ereader.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
if you have downloaded an epub from a 3rd party source (ie you have it on your computer and want to read it on the nexus or android with overdrive), you need to drag-n-drop the epub file to the nexus into any folder, lets say the Download folder. Then use ASTRO FILE MANAGER, browse to that epub you have just placed in the download folder and open it. Choose to open with Opendrive. The epub will now be loaded into your bookshelf and you can read it like normal. note that the epub must be DRM-free. Pretty much every epub book you download from a torrent site will already have DRM removed.

Hervey Bay Cliff

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
My problem was I had many KINDLE ( .mobi files) on my computer, downloaded from the NET. To also read them on my NEXUS 7, I downloaded them to the DCIM folder. Then moved them to the KINDLE folder. Now I can read them OK. The trick ,on the NEXUS, was to open the required .MOBI file (hold, until the options appear) then select MOVE. Go to the top of screen & press UP, until you find the KINDLE folder displayed. Then simply press PASTE.
Your .MOBI file will now be in the correct folder. Open your KINDLE app, and presto your book will be there.
Other files, similarly downloaded from your computer, should or can – be moved to their correct folders.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay