Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

I have downloaded the kindle e reader to my new nexus 7 and downloaded two.prc files, one of which wouldn't open correctly. So I downloaded a copy in epub format, but now cannot figure out what directory on my Nexus 7 the epub file should be moved to for the built-in reader. I can't even find the free books that came with the Nexus 7. Were are they stored?

Default Re: how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

I didn't try the Kindle reader app, but with the Barnes & Noble Nook reader app, I created a directory (with my PC) in the Nexus 7 root directory called Nook\MyDocuments. I put some epub documents in there and I can read them with the Nook app no problem.

FYI, I tried the Sony eReader app, and it works fine, but only for content from the eReader store. I was unable to figure out where to put an ePub doc so the app could find it..
    Last edited by 96Cobra; 07-20-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Thanked by:

There is a KINDLE folder and you should be able to put the epub file there. That is what I did with a mobi file anyway!

See if this helps:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tegration.html

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9

There are 3rd party programs that will convert e-books to what ever format you need. I forget what I have installed, but Google should help you find the free one.

Btw, it's a PC program.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use Overdrive Media Console, primarily for downloading ebooks from the library. But it handles any epub file just fine.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by quarky_uk View Post
    There is a KINDLE folder and you should be able to put the epub file there. That is what I did with a mobi file anyway!

See if this helps:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tegration.html
    I already know how to manually move files into the kindle directory. However, this technique only works with .prc or .mobi files, not .epub files. I took the other person's advice in these replies and installed the Nook application, and it seems to work just fine. I was able to open my epub file without any problems.

You can see if this helps you.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...oks-nexus.html

You can also use drop box with aldiko

I can't find where this question has been answered. Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) to be able to read them with the built in reader?

The posts after my question are informative but don't answer my question.
    Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) on my Nexus 7 to be able to read them with the built in reader?
    Last edited by JP Miller; 07-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.

ROM
    CM 9.1

I use Moon Reader+, seems to work nicely, just put the ebooks in my google drive folder and open it up on my tablet using moonreader

I use Mantano.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

I use kobo reader. I really nice interface and will import your epub files so that you can read them. It's kinda neat - you can get rewards when you import new books or read late and stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I don't know if this is easier for some people, but you could convert them to .pdf's as well. Don't have to install anything.

Thanked by:

I use FBReader. Reads most formats, has some nice features (including decent file browsing), and just seems to work.
    Thanked by:
    bcisys 

Quote Originally Posted by JP Miller View Post
    I can't find where this question has been answered. Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) to be able to read them with the built in reader?

The posts after my question are informative but don't answer my question.
    Where are the book files stored for the built in reader to read? Where must I put books (epub) on my Nexus 7 to be able to read them with the built in reader?
    Here's what I did:

I installed the Nook application on my Nexus 7. Then I rebooted the Nexus 7.

From my PC, I went to this folder:

Computer\Nexus 7\Internal storage\Nook\MyDocuments

I copied the epub file there. I started the Nook application. In the drop-down list in the upper-left, I changed the view from "books" to "all items". The book I added appears, without a custom cover. So there's no way to know WHICH book it is, but when I click on it, the book opens and seems to work okay.

The epub I loaded was "Sea Wolf" from Guttenberg. So not sure if the lack of title or cover is specific to the file or a problem with the app.

Hope this helps - James

One more note - I still can't open epub files directly from the "download" app (?) on the Nexus 7, or figure out how to move a file from the download app/folder/whatever to another folder on the device, without hooking up a cable to my PC.

I wasn't able to find a "Project Guttenberg" app - seems like an app that would help users download ebooks from Guttenberg without all this runaround would be a blessing.
    Last edited by JD Atlanta; 07-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.

the default directory for ebooks on the N7 is ...\Books

you can either use that folder, make your own or use any folder your Android reader app makes, as you like.

some readers make finding or setting the default folder for your books a royal pain in the ****, but others are better behaved.

so there it is...

personally I prefer to read my ebooks on my eInk screen Kindle - much easier on the eyes, and it lasts a helluva lot longer with out needing a recharge on the battery.

Please can you explain how, after the Overdrive App is installed on my Nexus 7, I can add my epub files to the bookshelf? I've tried copying and pasting one epub file into the Overdrive folders on my nexus but nothing is working! Please tell me you can help

You need to download it _using_ the overdrive app...ie: re-download the book from your library's overdrive service from within the overdrive app.

Thumbs up Re: how do I open epub files on my Nexus 7?

Well, the key point is to locate files on Nexus 7. You can download and install free File Manager, ASTRO, to help locate your copied ebook files.
    To read sideloaded eBooks, you have to install another 3rd-party reading app, like Aldiko, FBreader or Mantano.
    Just use ASTRO File Manager to locate your eBook and open with a specified reading app.

I strongly recommend this guide for you, , which covered detailed steps as to how to transfer&read books on Nexus 7. The download links of related apps were given as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaddisoni View Post
    I strongly recommend this guide for you, , which covered detailed steps as to how to transfer&read books on Nexus 7. The download links of related apps were given as well.
    That's kind of a self serving page at that link complete with selling the software they recommend, isn't it ? Full of half truths, opinion presented as fact and outright misdirection, if you ask me.

The fact is that reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here:

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here:

some more useful links:
    --> Calibre home

---> currently 600+ places for free books online
    ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
    -----> same as above reviews
    ----> real nice comparison tables
    Last edited by bigtroutz; 11-29-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    mr_nobody likes this.

Downloaded items are stored in "Downloads" which is a circle with a green arrow in "all apps."

That said, I've downloaded two epub format books, and all the apps suggested here, and I can't get any of them to open.

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by JD Atlanta View Post
    One more note - I still can't open epub files directly from the "download" app (?) on the Nexus 7, or figure out how to move a file from the download app/folder/whatever to another folder on the device, without hooking up a cable to my PC.

I wasn't able to find a "Project Guttenberg" app - seems like an app that would help users download ebooks from Guttenberg without all this runaround would be a blessing.
    Watt Pad is an app which has a lot of books. Check app store for gutenberg with one t.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JD Atlanta View Post

here is the link for the Project Gutenburg site app:

A number of free book sites also have apps for Android but you may also use any browser to directly connect to their websites. Not exactly rocket science is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by rachel_sez View Post
    That said, I've downloaded two epub format books, and all the apps suggested here, and I can't get any of them to open.
    Rachel, can you tell us anything about which files you downloaded and what happens when you try to open them ? It IS possible that the files have DRM (copy protection) which may require a specific application to be used.

From MobilRead DRM discussion :

"ePub DRM

While ePub is an industry standard that is generally well defined they did not define a method for even identifying DRM content. There is no standard implementation for this format. In practice there are three major systems currently in use.

Two of the systems are managed by Adobe. The Adobe DRM server is used by Adobe Digital Editions which used by most dedicated eBook Readers, and Barnes and Noble used for the nook. The third system is done by Apple via their iTunes application. For more information see Apple's FairPlay DRM.

The real problem for the user is they have to be careful when they have a device that can support more than one reading program. The systems available do not recognize the existence of another form of DRM and may behave strangely if they encounter it. Often there is no error message but only a display of a blank screen.

To make matters even more complicated for the user the DRM scheme in ePub is normally applied to a subset of the files inside the container. This can make an eBook seem to partially work in a reader as some things may appear normal while other things do not.

One of the most confusing partial use is when internal embedded fonts specified in the eBook are encrypted while other eBook elements are not. This can happen when copyrighted fonts are being used. Another technique that is less obtrusive to the user is to use obfuscated fonts which use and XOR (exclusive or) technique to obscure the fonts in an embedded font set so that it cannot be extracted and used by itself. This can sometimes be used to meet the copyright requirements imposed by the font designer. "

What file in the storage can you put it in or does it have it's own file?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast