Nexus 7 speaker issue.

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay just received my Nexus, and the. Speaker at higher levels sounds fuzzy and distorted. It sounds like it's going through a tin can. I Anyone else have issues? I may have to exchange mine. :(

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just logged on to ask about this. I have the same issue. Sounds distorted and pretty bad at high volumes. Is this common? Or does mine have a problem? Will it sound better with some use?

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not as impressed with the speaker as I am with the rest of the N7. So far it seems to be its weakest pont, but I don't think its defective. I watched a couple of youtube videos and the sound was a bit tinny. The volume is also not especially loud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not as impressed, my galaxy player and xoom have better sound.

No worries about tagging on, it's good to know it's not an isolated issue.

It's all good.

SteelGreek

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine is really quiet too. I downloaded a speaker boosting app which helps somewhat. Hopefully big G releases a software update to fix this natively

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets distorted at around 60% volume. I think I'm going to have to exchange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
probably because the speaker is tiny. Yes, mine distorts as well...expected as much when I noticed the speaker port is in the back :p

The Playbook has the best speakers I've heard from any tablet....it seems to use the tablet as a resonance chamber. The speaker are front firing though, so you get full stereo sound (one on each of the short edges).

SteelGreek

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
probably because the speaker is tiny. Yes, mine distorts as well...expected as much when I noticed the speaker port is in the back :p

The Playbook has the best speakers I've heard from any tablet....it seems to use the tablet as a resonance chamber. The speaker are front firing though, so you get full stereo sound (one on each of the short edges).

I agree with this. My PB has amazing sound but with the volume amplifying app it helps. It's not great but definitely not a Playbook. I'd love to combine th two...

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My issue is it stop working sometimes I have to reboot it to come back on but at times it just eventually starts working.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I dont really use the speaker that much. I use a pair of in ear headphones for my music and when in the car the speaker is fine. I think its good for a tablet but then again i am not an audiophile.

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I hooked mine up to a Bang and Olufsen BE06 with custom BeoLab speakers and a 1200 Watt B&E0 Tri-Hedral amp and it sounded fantastic! Nothing at all like the teensy weensy little speakers THAT ARE IN LITTLE BITTY TABLETS!

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You might have a blown speaker. Mine did, Finally got the RMA number today. I went ahead and bought another one at Staples and the sound was fine, no static. If you speaker is blown, try watching Transformers Dark of the Moon at a little over 1/2 volume. If there is a lot of static during the opening battle scene before the title appears, especially during the explosions, you probably have a blown speaker. My new tablet does not have the static or popping that the blown speaker had.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sigh...not sure what to do about this, since this is the ONLY real concern I have with the device. Other than that, I really love it. I won't generally use the external speaker anyway, but I hate to think that my N7 defective. Under normal circumstances, I may attempt an exchange, but given the constrained supplies, I'm not sure that its worth the hassle for a small chance that I may get better speaker quality. I have no problems at all with the headphone jack.

What to do....

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Under normal circumstances, I may attempt an exchange, but given the constrained supplies, I'm not sure that its worth the hassle for a small chance that I may get better speaker quality. I have no problems at all with the headphone jack.

What to do....

Well I sent mine back and bought one at Staples. If your local Staples has them available, I would go with that. You avoid the shipping costs as well since Goggle should give you a full refund since the unit was defective.

thehughes69

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
had mine 2 days and no probs then i installed power amp which ive used and like on my phone but after playing with the increased loudness and bass option power amp gives ive got a distortion on all music/apps and films that play even with power amp removed. I wonder if anyone else has done this? Intterestingly tho if u turn the 230hz bar to minimum in the stock equalizer it goes but sound is low and tinny

Took it back mentioning none of the above:p to the retailer and a new one is coming next week

for anyone in the uk john lewis seem to be the only retailer with current stock and u get a 2 year guarantee free:D

ancientgamer

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know Chuckee.

I returned my Nexus 7 for exactly the same reason as it also distorted at about 60% volume.

Still waiting for my replacement to turn up, now at least know it was worth returning.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae