Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 speaker issue.

Okay just received my Nexus, and the. Speaker at higher levels sounds fuzzy and distorted. It sounds like it's going through a tin can. I Anyone else have issues? I may have to exchange mine.

Default Re: Nexus 7 speaker issue.

I just logged on to ask about this. I have the same issue. Sounds distorted and pretty bad at high volumes. Is this common? Or does mine have a problem? Will it sound better with some use?

I am not as impressed with the speaker as I am with the rest of the N7. So far it seems to be its weakest pont, but I don't think its defective. I watched a couple of youtube videos and the sound was a bit tinny. The volume is also not especially loud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Mac58 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah I'm not as impressed, my galaxy player and xoom have better sound.

No worries about tagging on, it's good to know it's not an isolated issue.

It's all good.

Mine is really quiet too. I downloaded a speaker boosting app which helps somewhat. Hopefully big G releases a software update to fix this natively

Mine gets distorted at around 60% volume. I think I'm going to have to exchange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

probably because the speaker is tiny. Yes, mine distorts as well...expected as much when I noticed the speaker port is in the back

The Playbook has the best speakers I've heard from any tablet....it seems to use the tablet as a resonance chamber. The speaker are front firing though, so you get full stereo sound (one on each of the short edges).

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    probably because the speaker is tiny. Yes, mine distorts as well...expected as much when I noticed the speaker port is in the back

The Playbook has the best speakers I've heard from any tablet....it seems to use the tablet as a resonance chamber. The speaker are front firing though, so you get full stereo sound (one on each of the short edges).
    I agree with this. My PB has amazing sound but with the volume amplifying app it helps. It's not great but definitely not a Playbook. I'd love to combine th two...

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

My issue is it stop working sometimes I have to reboot it to come back on but at times it just eventually starts working.

Have you tried adjusting the equalizer?
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

Quote Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the equalizer?
    Yes. For me it's just a loudness issue. It's also with the headphone jack so that's why I'm hoping a software update will help and I won't need 3rd party software to assist. It'll just be native

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

I dont really use the speaker that much. I use a pair of in ear headphones for my music and when in the car the speaker is fine. I think its good for a tablet but then again i am not an audiophile.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I hooked mine up to a Bang and Olufsen BE06 with custom BeoLab speakers and a 1200 Watt B&E0 Tri-Hedral amp and it sounded fantastic! Nothing at all like the teensy weensy little speakers THAT ARE IN LITTLE BITTY TABLETS!

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

You might have a blown speaker. Mine did, Finally got the RMA number today. I went ahead and bought another one at Staples and the sound was fine, no static. If you speaker is blown, try watching Transformers Dark of the Moon at a little over 1/2 volume. If there is a lot of static during the opening battle scene before the title appears, especially during the explosions, you probably have a blown speaker. My new tablet does not have the static or popping that the blown speaker had.

Sigh...not sure what to do about this, since this is the ONLY real concern I have with the device. Other than that, I really love it. I won't generally use the external speaker anyway, but I hate to think that my N7 defective. Under normal circumstances, I may attempt an exchange, but given the constrained supplies, I'm not sure that its worth the hassle for a small chance that I may get better speaker quality. I have no problems at all with the headphone jack.

What to do....

i hope mine wont have these issues..

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post
    Under normal circumstances, I may attempt an exchange, but given the constrained supplies, I'm not sure that its worth the hassle for a small chance that I may get better speaker quality. I have no problems at all with the headphone jack.

What to do....

Well I sent mine back and bought one at Staples. If your local Staples has them available, I would go with that. You avoid the shipping costs as well since Goggle should give you a full refund since the unit was defective.

had mine 2 days and no probs then i installed power amp which ive used and like on my phone but after playing with the increased loudness and bass option power amp gives ive got a distortion on all music/apps and films that play even with power amp removed. I wonder if anyone else has done this? Intterestingly tho if u turn the 230hz bar to minimum in the stock equalizer it goes but sound is low and tinny

Took it back mentioning none of the above to the retailer and a new one is coming next week

for anyone in the uk john lewis seem to be the only retailer with current stock and u get a 2 year guarantee free

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckeeDroid View Post
    Mine gets distorted at around 60% volume. I think I'm going to have to exchange.

Just got my replacement unit. No more distortion. Love it now.

That's good to know Chuckee.

I returned my Nexus 7 for exactly the same reason as it also distorted at about 60% volume.

Still waiting for my replacement to turn up, now at least know it was worth returning.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

The nexus 7 speaker is not the best. It's not very loud to begin with. I have encountered very good and bad sounding audio. I guess whatever sound the speaker can handle, it does it's best but we can't expect much. I'm in no way making excuses but lets keep in mind, the Nexus 7 is a budget device. I also have an HP touchpad running ICS and the sound blows away pretty much any mobile device I have ever heard.
    Thanked by:
    paul-c 

The sound on mine pops so much and is so distorted that I can barely use It. Guess I need to send it back and get a replacement. I would just hate to send it back and then have the new one have glass separation or one of the other issues.

Got mine in the mail on Friday and the speaker didn't work at all. No audio whatsoever. It's on its way back with a new one in the mail. Hopefully that one will work...

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    The nexus 7 speaker is not the best. It's not very loud to begin with. I have encountered very good and bad sounding audio. I guess whatever sound the speaker can handle, it does it's best but we can't expect much. I'm in no way making excuses but lets keep in mind, the Nexus 7 is a budget device. I also have an HP touchpad running ICS and the sound blows away pretty much any mobile device I have ever heard.
    Totally agree. I think the Nexus does an alright job, for the size and price. I haven't run into the distortion issue after a certain volume, but it is kinda quiet depending on what I'm listening to. Haha, the TouchPad is like a boombox compared to the Nexus.

Just got mine Friday and zero issues sounds great at 100% and great with app booster an with high end headphones, low end and use Foxl 2 sounds great!

I turn mine upside down with audio and have speaker to the top.

soundmatters | foxL - The first pocket-sized music system good enough for audio purists
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast