Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: So where's the News & Weather widget?

Quote Originally Posted by dnightangel View Post
    Well I believe Google is trying to push you to use currents and with the weather go to your Google now settings and activate weather in notification bar, I find it works better then a widget and with news you got pulse, flip board, news republic and etc as replacements otherwise I guess your only option is to wait for 4.2 and see if they changed anything

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Where do you activate weather in the notification bar? I went to the settings of Google Search and just saw permissions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Luckily the widget is still available on my GNex but it's PFS that I have to read the news on a phone instead of my N7.

Currents is as much a substitute for N&W as iMaps was for GMaps on the iPhone - pathetic and bloated.

Google's really pissing me off with the apps they are killing. Lost my most favored news & weather widget when I traded my HTC Evo for a Galaxy S3, then found out they're killing Google Reader, the best RSS app out there. Bastards . . . and I used to love them a bunch.

Anyway, these guys -- Awnry Software -- have nearly nailed a replacement for News & Weather. It may even be a little better, as my old widget did not refresh properly all the time and this one does. It includes ALL the functionality I loved, including the weather graph and customizable news topics. It currently only comes in a free version with some fairly unobtrusive ads at the bottom. After about a week or two of use, I emailed the developer to see what it would cost me to ditch the ads. They don't have a paid version yet, but hopefully soon.

If you still miss this widget/app, I think these guys will brighten your day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.nawnry
    Thanked by:
    Kage_ 
    Kage_ likes this.

Thanks this works to replace the old News and Weather widget.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12