Loading your own media on to nexus 7

TomMCMLVIII

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I've been holding off buying a tablet for about 2 years, the Nexus 7 looks like it could be the device that makes me make the jump but I was wondering if I'd be able to transfer video (divx, xvid, mkv, mp4) from my desk top and watch it in full screen mode on the Nexus 7.

Also is there a work around to get Flash working on a Nexus 7 because not being in the USA I can't download TV programs from the Google Play store and I'd want to watch the BBC iplayer, Sky Go & the ITV player on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if I'd be able to transfer video (divx, xvid, mkv, mp4) from my desk top and watch it in full screen mode on the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 Guidebook says the supplied USB cable, when connected to either a Windows or Mac OSX computer will allow transfer of files. I'm planning on using this capability for sideloading app apk files that aren't directly downloadable.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I think his question is specifically about supported formats and file extensions. I am also curious if anyone has an official list, as I have a lot of Xvid encoded .avi files and it would be nice if the native player could handle them. I'd like to avoid VLC until it stabilizes a bit.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't hear many good things about it, but I will give it a try until VLC is ready.

Do I need to get a codec pack or anything? Where can I find a list of supported formats, etc.?

There are a number of good video players for Android... I lime Mobo but its broken on the N7... practically any file format can be played by one player or another...

So take the leap!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 plays mp4 files that I create using Handbrake on my Mac. Typically I don't copy the mp4 files to my N7, but instead I stream the video from my iMac in my home office to my N7 while on my home WiFi network. What I do, is use the app called "ES Explorer" on my N7 and I can connect to my iMac using the "LAN" feature, then I browse to my iMac shared folder (where I have my videos) and just select it. I'm asked what video player I want to use (I believe I choose the built-in player in ES Explorer) and I'm streaming video! Really simple to setup, as I don't have to run a media streaming program on my iMac, etc.

Note, I use a hardware device called "EyeTV HD" to record TV shows from a digital Comcast signal to mpeg2 format on my iMac, and I then convert them to mp4 format using Handbrake with the "Apple TV" setting. This will give me near 1280x800 resolution videos that playback great on my N7. The file sizes are pretty large, but the video playback on my N7 is great (even with streaming).

carmex

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Good suggestions, but I don't think any of these players are truly full screen as the OP asked for. For example, Netflix will hide the action / navigation bars and display completely full screen video. When you tap the screen the navigation bar becomes visible again. As far as I remember, MX player et. all will leave the navigation bar at the bottom the whole time and I find that pretty annoying. Anyone know of a video player that will do true full screen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC