Google Now - How To Use Voice Command?

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
When I activate Now and ask a question, I can only do so once with my voice.

I could have sworn I saw a video review where the person just kept saying, "Google" to activate the search feature without touching the microphone icon.

After it answers question #1, I say, "Google" and get no response.

I always have to physically use the microphone button to make it go to a follow-up query.

Any thoughts? Settings? Dumb mistake I am making?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Last edited:

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
That is what I am seeing too - I reported it to Google.

I wonder what happens if you want to use the voice function to look up "Google"?

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Its like this on every JB device I have used. It only seems to work from the Google Now homescreen which kind of makes it useless.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Go into apps. Click on the Google app the blue box with the g. This brings up Google. Bottom right click on the settings tab and click voice and then turn on hit word. Close it out and open the Google app again. Then say Google. Works fine for me.
43541cb6-6382-708c.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
With mine, when I go to Google Now and say "google" it brings up the screen indicating it's listening to me. Once it brings my results though, I cannot say "google" to bring up that screen again. I have to hit back to get to the main Google Now page and THEN it will listen to my voice commands.

I'm okay with this as it could possibly prevent an accidental search while I'm verbally talking to someone while looking through my results. I would get frustrated if it tried to start a new search before I was ready.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I activate Now and ask a question, I can only do so once with my voice.

I could have sworn I saw a video review where the person just kept saying, "Google" to activate the search feature without touching the microphone icon.

After it answers question #1, I say, "Google" and get no response.

I always have to physically use the microphone button to make it go to a follow-up query.

Any thoughts? Settings? Dumb mistake I am making?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Its just how it is.. u can only do it from the Google now home screen

Last edited:

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Another thing is, how come there is no help section for voice commands?? I have it on my phone, it shows me all the commands I can use, to do list, navigate, play music etc..

I'm really not liking the voice feature for the tablet, IMO its not even near up to par with my 4 year old cell phone...

I know how to use it to search for information, thats pretty straight forward. And I can use it to play songs. But what about other things... I thought they "Revolutionized" the search feature with JellyBean?

Under the google now settings, I see under "Tablet Search" it lists the apps you can use the search function with among the ones on my device are. Music, Movies, Books, People, Chrome, etc.. Yet when I try to say, launch "The time machine" or "Read the time machine" or "Launch play books" it just brings me to chrome..

Why isn't there a "how to", like on my phone?

Last edited:

Gaoes

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
possibly related to the unified search function that apple is going ape over? to avoid having the issue brought to the n7 they just made it web only *shrug*. i havent used Google Now much so i cant say with any authority. also there was murmur of the N7 violating somebody elses patents, nokia comes to mind for some reason. im too lazy to search for it.

i heard the were some people that re-enabled the unified search function of their SG3's so it might not hurt to ask them for tips.

mscottveach

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
this weird functionality -- only being able to say "google" to put it into listening mode once... and then having to hit back and/or click the choices makes it kind of just a novelty...

...it would be way cooler if i could do one swipe... then when i get my results from my voice search I could pick a link to go to by saying the number of the link... and/or saying "google" would allow me to search agian...

i often have my tablet's propped up on my desk as a kind of extra mini-monitor... it would be very useful and cool to be able to mostly just navigate with my voice!

hopefully they will impelment this kind of stuff soon....