Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Small_law
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Maps Navigation

Hi, all,

Not sure if this has been posted or not - but I took my Nexus 7 to work on Thursday and wanted to test out Google Maps Navigation. To my surprise, it was able to navigate me to work (25 miles away), despite not having a wireless signal at any point during the journey.

I presume it's able to do this with a combination of locally stored maps and its GPS chip. Is this correct? 25 miles seems an awful lot of maps to download locally to the device (it's great, it's just surprising!)

H

Default Re: Google Maps Navigation

Haven't tried caching maps, but when it's connected to a wireless hotspot, Nexus 7's Navigation works flawlessly. Sure you can use your phone, but something about a big GPS screen is alluring.
    n0obpr0 likes this.

wanting know this data/map thing last night I tried 2 diff nav apps in airplane mode and they worked just fine ,I did not try a destination...but shouldn't it work anyway via GPS anlone ?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Not without having all the necessary map data, I wouldn't have thought. The GPS chip would be able to position the tablet but it would have to reference map data to know roads, etc...

I found this as an alternative, will try it out this week: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aG1lLm1hcHMiXQ..