Compare Your Nexus 7 to Your Old Tablet

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know what tablet you guys had before the N7, and your comparisons. As for me, had a Kindle Fire and loved it for six months. But now with my Nexus 7.....well this thing is just in a class of its own.

IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE FIRE: Faster....smoother animation....a super-light touch on the touch screen, with no lag at all....easy access to the Play Store....Chrome browser is much, much faster than Silk browser...screen is much more comfortable for reading....for some reason, I PROMISE you my N7 screen attracts almost no finger prints, whereas it seemed like with the Fire, if my fingers even got close to the screen, it got smudged.....lighter and more ergonomic, making it easier to hold while reading....love being able to voice-browse and voice-text thanks to the included mic....love that it includes the USB cable I need to connect it to my laptop (you have to buy a separate usb for the Fire).

Really loving this thing.

firenation112

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My last tablets were the iPad 2 and the blackberry playbook. The blackberry playbook was an awesome tablet with a beautiful secured operating system and I loved the bezel gestures. But it had no real good apps what's so ever on it and it was hardly supported by blackberry which is evident of how long it took to get the long awaited update. The nexus is way lighter, faster' more apps, better screen and actually suppported by Google.

The iPad 2 is a good tablet with awesome apps but its limitations and restrictions which apple wants you to abide by it just awful and painful. I prefer the nexus easily over the iPad 2. Better browser, better screen, better operating system and many more factors which I'm sure have been mentioned already.

tony78201

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
my last tablet was a kindle fire, and it was my first ever tablet, so you can imagine how blown away I am with the nexus 7. I list all the reasons of the OP as to why I love this thing

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the eepad transformer, I loved that thing. But I traded in at my GameStop and got this one. I had it per ordered and picked it up on my birthday haha.

I never had complaints:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Previously had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. loved that tablet but it being my first tablet i didn't get to experience anything better. it was a solid tablet but it would lag and freeze up quite a bit.

Compared to my Nexus 7 it's seems way older than it actually is. the Nexus 7 is everything i needed the Tab 10.1 to be but better (cheesy i know). Performance is top notch it hardly stutters at all and stock 4.1 Jellybean is pretty cool. a HUGE upgrade from Honeycomb/TouchwizUX :p

The form factor is what surprised me the most. i was so used to the 10 inch screen on the Galaxy Tab, so i wasn't sure what it would be like going to a smaller screen for media consumption. but it's actually practical enough and much more portable than the 10 inch screen. which means it's great for travel.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad 3, and the Nexus 7 is fun and portable, but I don't think I will keep the Nexus. The iPad is so much better still.

-- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I used to have an iPad 3, which was a really great device, but the only thing I used it for was internet browsing, kindle, nook and google reader/flipboard, email and music. The Nexus 7 does that just as well for half the price. :D

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Only had a fire before, and technically I gave it to my stepson... so I didn't use it often. Ran the first "stable" MIUI ICS build for a while until AOKP dropped otter M5 for it. M5 made the kindle pretty darn good, but the hardware on the 7 in combination with jellybean and immediate dev support... it's incredible. I LOVE this thing. LOVE.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My other tab is a 2yo Nook Color so there is no comparison between a single core and a quad core!!! My Nook is rooted and was my constant companion....went everywhere with me...I even bought a murse (man purse) for it.

I was very accustom to the 7" venue so that was no problem. My grandson has an IPad and my son-in-law was able to get an HP. Both are great for sitting around on the couch with, but I find them a little too large to be comfortable out in public.

Loving my new N7 but I really miss the MIUI I am running on the Nook.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Moto Zoom, Nook Color(rooted), HTC Flyer, and Kindle Fire. I returned the Zoom shortly after I bought it. Too big and expensive. Then I got a Nook to root it. Worked well but the screen wasn't the greatest and had a slow processor. The Flyer was a great device but had no support from HTC. The Fire is a great product and I still have it, just gave it to the wife to use. she wanted her own and I figured why not get a Nexus 7 for around the same price!

This thing is very quick and blows the Fire away in every aspect minus media consumption. Until Amazon releases an Amazon Instant Video app that is.

lancelot48

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My last Tablet is the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. If Samsung had updated it to ICS I wouldn't have purchased the Nexus. I like this Nexus Tablet. Its smooth but I still like the 10.1" size of the Samsung. It was easier to web surf without pinch and zoom all the time plus video had a larger screen.
I might yet return the Nexus. I have another 10 days to decide.

JoseGutierrez

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I love my N7. I primarily use Apple products but have owned Android devices before such as the HTC Thunderbolt and first Google TV. I have an iPad 2 that my wife uses and I don't miss it a bit. I always thought it was too bulky for web browsing and reading. I bought a Kindle fire not too long ago but returned it when I watched the Nexus 7 keynote. It was rooted and running CM9 but it was still too heavy and not smooth at all. The N7 is a great tablet. I think its perfect to travel with or use while watching TV. The keyboard input could use some work but so could the iPads' due to its size. The only thing missing from the Nexus 7 is storage expansion but if you root it, its not a big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I came from having a HTC Flyer. This is actually my first Android device that is not made by HTC. I am thrilled to get the latest software but I do miss Sense somewhat and the features it had. All the HTC widgets are more polished and make the UI and homescreens more uniform like they go together. I am happy with the Nexus 7 overall though. We'll see how it does over time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My 1st tablet was a Nook Color (rooted) and 2nd BlackBerry Playbook.

Nook was great as stock, but rooted would freeze on apps and feel sluggish at other times.

PlayBook was awesome, but lack of apps and the announcement BB10 wouldn't happen until next year was enough for me to sell it. I really do miss the front and back camera, I guess I would be that dork that takes pics with his tablet, LOL.

This N7 feels smooth and better connected to the services I use, battery usage beats both tablets and my BB phone, and because I'm an avid reader and podcast listener there's more than enough storage on the N7.

B-Mod

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 3, and the Nexus 7 is fun and portable, but I don't think I will keep the Nexus. The iPad is so much better still.

-- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Really? Could it be that one cost more than twice the other one? That's like comparing a Kia to a Buick in car terms, lol...

anon(319128)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the original ASUS Transformer TF101, and loved the hardware part of it, but found it totally unusable for simple web browsing...same as my wife's ASUS Slider because of the horrible browsing. It would just stutter and hesitate. Just like the reviews...I think CNET...said gets to 80% and then it stops.... I didn't hear many better thing about the Prime either. Didn't help using Chrome or firefox on those either.

So, my worry is that the new Nexus 7 is made by ASUS.....and it will have all the same issues.

So, how's the browsing on the Nexus 7?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Really? Could it be that one cost more than twice the other one? That's like comparing a Kia to a Buick in car terms, lol...

A Kia to a Buick? Weird analogy. I don't want a Buick... ever.

Actually, the way I look at it, keeping the already paid for iPad is cheaper, my friend.

stainiu

May 25, 2012
Visit site
A Kia to a Buick? Weird analogy. I don't want a Buick... ever.

Actually, the way I look at it, keeping the already paid for iPad is cheaper, my friend.

Actually you could sell the Ipad 3, and come out ahead.

MincerRay

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I"m a bit of a gadget freak and have been following tablets for years. I have a Nokia N800, N810, an iPad1 (bought when it first came out), firesale Touchpad, Kindle Fire, iPad 3, and now the N7. I am really liking the N7's light weight, size, and speed. Of all the user interfaces, I think WebOS hit the nail on the head, though. It's the best compromise between ease of use and flexibility, IMO. The N7 is my first pure Android device, and it wasn't as intuitive to use out of the box. It's the closest to a desktop interface of the tablet's I've used, with the power and flexibility that goes with it. I just convinced my mom to return her Fire for an N7, and I can tell I"m going to have to help her with it initially. Of course the iPad's are stupid simple to use for anyone, but not very flexible to customize, and cumbersome for a lot of operations.

I think the N7 is a winner and it will be my travel companion.