Thanks for the free lunch Google/Nexus 7!!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Today I used my Nexus 7 and Google Wallet with Google's $10 to buy a salad and iced tea at McDonalds.

Needless to say... the employee was surprised to receive my payment via the Nexus 7. :D

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
That's great - there are few things that are better than a free lunch. :)

I tried to use my Nexus 7 to buy dinner the other night at Jack in the Box but the NFC reader at the cash register wasn't working. While I love the idea of Google Wallet and NFC I doubt I'll be using my Nexus 7 to make many NFC payments.

Hopefully the next round of Nexus phones will be so attractive that I'll decide to trade-in my Razr Maxx for something with NFC.

jmoore122195

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's great - there are few things that are better than a free lunch. :)

I tried to use my Nexus 7 to buy dinner the other night at Jack in the Box but the NFC reader at the cash register wasn't working. While I love the idea of Google Wallet and NFC I doubt I'll be using my Nexus 7 to make many NFC payments.

Hopefully the next round of Nexus phones will be so attractive that I'll decide to trade-in my Razr Maxx for something with NFC.

Love my N7 I'll probably get a nexus phone too and trade n my RAZR MAXX but my contract doesn't expire till November 2013 so I have a while. Can't complain though because the RAZR MAXX is an amazing phone in my opinion. ICS, 3300 mAh battery that lasts a day and a half on one charge! Can't complain about that and it's pretty smooth too.:)

Breezy Beach

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
What the hell! I used my google wallet to buy the nexus from their play site, and they didn't give me $10 off! How come others are getting money off?

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What the hell! I used my google wallet to buy the nexus from their play site, and they didn't give me $10 off! How come others are getting money off?

It's not $10 off the nexus. When you get the google wallet app and sign into it the first time, they give you $10.

TheTechGuy

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
When I received my N7 I tried setting up google wallet but kept getting an error. The next day I tried again and was able to add a citi card. I never received the $10 credit. I got hosed!!!!

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
When I received my N7 I tried setting up google wallet but kept getting an error. The next day I tried again and was able to add a citi card. I never received the $10 credit. I got hosed!!!!

Your $10 still might be there..... :)

It's been a week since I activated my Nexus 7 so I might be a little cloudy on the details but I remember the $10 from Google came when I activated a card on the "Prepaid Card" screen.

TheTechGuy

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey XDCX thanks for your post. You were right. I had just added a citi card but never clicked the prepaid card icon. When I got home I clicked it and it registered then added the $10. Free lunch tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: dougiefresh66

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this was a nice "bonus". Now I need a good excuse to use it... there is a CVS within walking distance of my house, I will probably wait until I need something from them and use it there.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Got free lunch at McDonalds today also on my GS3. Then I added another prepaid card on my nexus and it gave me another $10!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I finally made my first NFC transaction with the Nexus 7. :)

I had never used NFC or Google Wallet before and I had trouble getting it to work the first two times I tried it. The first time I'm pretty sure the restaurant's NFC reader was bad but in the second instance I think I must have been too impatient.

For me, the only way I could get Google Wallet to work was to have the app open on my Nexus 7 and to have already entered my PIN code. I've read that most people only need to have an active screen and Google Wallet will open once it's near a NFC signal. I'll have to keep trying....

While the whole NFC transaction is pretty fast, it seemed to me like it takes a long time before anything starts to happen but once it starts to happen it goes fast. By the time I hear the Google Wallet tone the cashier's telling me that everything's OK and I've paid my bill.

On a final note, there's some entertainment value associated with buying lunch with your Nexus 7. The cashier at McDonald's was impressed and then stated she thought the Nexus 7 was just a really big smartphone..... :D

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I too got my free lunch about a week ago with my N7, at McDonalds. Baffled the cashier. Still have almost $5 left, so I'll have to go do it again. :)

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I won't be using my N7 to pay for everything, but I'm certainly happy to take the free $10. Lucky for me, the vending machines at the office have NFC readers, so I know where I can spend the money without worrying about how to get the tablet there. Thanks Google!

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I had my free lunch from McDonald's this week too! Had the Angus Bacon & Cheese, Large Fries and a Large Coke. With the update I added my debit card and bought some beer from 7-11 yesterday afternoon.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting the update to add "any" card. I see Torisen1 seems to have - how about everyone else?

Go to the Google Play Store, go to your apps, swipe left to bring up all apps and scroll down to Google Wallet, it is not in alphabetical order, then you will see you can update.

Ice

Reactions: mikebear

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon