Nexus 7 and a Mac: Any good VNC recommendations?

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have experience controlling a Mac desktop virtually from their Nexus 7?

I am looking for a great VNC connector to help fill some holes in the Android experience (namely adding info to 1Password.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've used Splashtop on my Kindle Fire before getting the N7 and it worked pretty well to connect to my Mac. You download a client on the Mac which uses Google Internet Discovery to find your Mac even when you are away from home. The only thing it didn't do for me was reliably wake my Mac from sleep, but they are supposedly working on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dotism

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much... I have Splashtop up and running and so far things are looking good.

My Macs do sleep regularly (even more so now that the Nexus 7 has entered my life), but I haven't had a chance to deal with that hurdle yet. I'll hope for a remedy eventually, if a problem becomes apparent, but so far this is looking fantastic.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I just realized that I have spent more than an acceptable amount of money on figuring out a way to get new login data to a 1Password install securely. My chosen method up to this point was using password protected notes apps with either Dropbox or webapp interfaces to get new info transmitted efficiently (I use ridiculously convoluted randomly generated passwords for everything and even padded the passwords I was transmitting across the network).

With $5 my problem is completely solved, and without the nagging itch of possibly insecure login info exposed to the wild (I don't know if I can trust these developers).

The real solution would be for AgileBits to create a fully-functional Android app for 1Password, but I am not holding my breath.

Thank you for this, again.

Last edited:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've used Mocha VNC successfully for the last few years. It works great from a phone or tablet.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems like there might be a way to get Mocha working with Crunchbang... Things become infinitely more interesting.

Flatland2D

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I use Pocket Cloud and like it a lot. The touch pointer is a great feature. The free version will probably do everything you need it to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, Pocket Cloud looks lovely as well. Thank you. I am happy to find so many great options for desktop sharing, especially those with a free version to toss about before settling. (My experience under iOS was not so... Who can afford all that money to test botched implementations only to find something with an ad running to reduce screen real estate?)

I am still interested in trying out a Mocha VNC server running on Crunchbang, but alcohol and Nexus 7 fiddling are getting in the way at the moment.

So it goes.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been experiencing the 'wake from sleep' problem with Splashtop... Mocha has the ability to wake up a Mac and this has become the must-have feature for me, apparently. I also like that Mocha uses the built-in VNC features of OS X (hence the wake functionality, methinks) rather than relying on a third-party service for connectivity.

I'm off to get the full version of Mocha VNC, thanks for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC