now that Moto Xoom tablets are getting official OTA JB, is Nexus

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
now that Moto Xoom tablets are getting official OTA JB, is Nexus 7 still a good buy?
that's probably the older Moto Xoom.... but what if other tablets(Samsung, comes to
mind) also start to get Jelly Bean in the next month or two?

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: now that Moto Xoom tablets are getting official OTA JB, is Ne

Tegra 3, 216 ppi resolution, Nexus-assured updates... One might prefer the smaller form factor (I do).

I dunno. It's tough.

The Xoom has a lot going for it: it is bigger, it has SD...

The Nexus 7 is so astonishingly amazing in my opinion that the choice is obvious, even if other OEMs release comparable products at a similar price point. The Nexus brand is something to cherish if you want reliable updates and the like, and the 7" form factor is something to behold.

What are you looking for in an Android tablet?

Last edited:

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

I'd rather have the Nexus 7. The Xoom has an older chipset, screen not as good and it is pretty heavy and thick.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Tegra 3, 216 ppi resolution, Nexus-assured updates... One might prefer the smaller form factor (I do).

I dunno. It's tough.

The Xoom has a lot going for it: it is bigger, it has SD...

The Nexus 7 is so astonishingly amazing in my opinion that the choice is obvious, even if other OEMs release comparable products at a similar price point. The Nexus brand is something to cherish if you want reliable updates and the like, and the 7" form factor is something to behold.

What are you looking for in an Android tablet?

To be fair, the Xoom also has assured updates. It's an "unofficial Nexus device" (notice it is the first tablet to get Jelly Bean besides the Nexus 7). However, there is no way to tell how many more updates its older hardware will be able to handle.

Reactions: dotism

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

To be fair, the Xoom also has assured updates. It's an "unofficial Nexus device" (notice it is the first tablet to get Jelly Bean besides the Nexus 7).

Thank you for the correction, ragnarokx... I occasionally get ahead of myself. The Xoom is a complicated product and I forgot to check my facts.

I do stand behind my assertion that the hardware and form factor make the Nexus 7 a great choice for tablet computing, perhaps the best for Android, with the price and OS reliability being the gravy on the offering which tips it over the edge.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I own and a Xoom and I prefer the Nexus 7. The Xoom is heavy and thick and the at this point the specs are pretty dated.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Unless the 7" form factor just really appeals to you, I would keep the Wifi Xoom. It is basically a Nexus device, and I don't think the Android is going to get so resource intensive that the Xoom can't handle it for quite awhile. The specs on the Nexus 7 aren't THAT much better. However, if you really think the 7" form factor will suit your needs better, than it might be worth the buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay