Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts

Default Interesting article about the Nexus 7's screen relating to color

I don't agree with the "" part, but it does help explain why I'm seeing what I'm seeing ...
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Interesting article about the Nexus 7's screen relating to co

According to the article, there is a pretty good chance this could be fixed with a software update.
    Let's hope Google is working on this and we'll see ver 4.1.2 before too long.

Skimmed it. Seems like yet another "this Toyota Camry fails because it doesn't perform like a Porsche" articles.

It's a budget-friendly tablet that's main focus is portability and software functionality. It's not intended to compete with specs or build quality folks.

I have a great PC monitor and graphics card, I have a nice HDTV set, and I have a Galaxy S2 with a Super AMOLED Plus screen. The Nexus 7 doesn't bother me a single tiny bit in the screen department. Not on paper and not in real, average, daily use. This is a non-issue that the tech-heads and pixel-counters are trying to sensationalize and turn into ammo against the device. Flickering and the "gray screen" issues that people are having? Those are real issues, and to be expected within the first batch of a budget product. Unless the color gamut shortcoming is preventing people from being able to see things and use the tablet, it's a non-issue.
    Thanked by 2:
    dparrothead1 and dotism like this.

^ agreed with the above. It's a tablet not an HDTV. If it looks good with text, games, and web viewing it's doing it's job. If that means that video will fall a little short of perfect THX level calibration then just suck it up and move on.
    MrpicC and jbf777 like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts

No, it doesn't bother me. I still love my N7. I'm not having any of the issues people are reporting. However, I did find it interesting that the blues on the screen weren't very saturated when I compared it to other things I have. Not a show-stopper by any means, but it's something that I noticed.

True, it's always good to at least know why something is doing something like that. I notice a little dithering every now and then. (ie: the Kindle loading screen) I'm okay with it though. Remember when Kindles were this expensive?

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

The last 10 values for black and white all look the same, so that seems that the display needs better calibration, but I'm not sure it's possible unless the Tegra has LUTs.

Display looks great watching the transformers movie though, so that article is definitely overblown...

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I agree. I have no problems with video on the tablet. Both my boyfriend and I played transformers and were amazed with how great it looked. I wasn't expecting an ipad level screen, but I think it looks really good for what it is.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pokingmon View Post
    True, it's always good to at least know why something is doing something like that. I notice a little dithering every now and then. (ie: the Kindle loading screen) I'm okay with it though. Remember when Kindles were this expensive?
    Yes, I do! I've had every one, including the Fire which the N7 has replaced wonderfully!

Here's my question: So if it's a matter of calibration and not a screen limitation, wouldn't it make sense to do something about it? When Joe Average Consumer see this next to, say, the unicorn that is the iPad Jr. or whatever it's going to be called, he's not going to care about specs. He's going to see the picture of a flower on this screen vs. the same flower on whatever Apple is going to do, which will more than likely be close to Retina if not an actual Retina display. I remember when I saw my first AMOLED phone. I was blown away by the colors, even though it wasn't the greatest phone. If it's calibration, I'd like for them to do something about it so that the fruit people don't have something else to harp on.

Quote Originally Posted by pokingmon View Post
    Skimmed it. Seems like yet another "this Toyota Camry fails because it doesn't perform like a Porsche" articles.

It's a budget-friendly tablet that's main focus is portability and software functionality. It's not intended to compete with specs or build quality folks.
    You should have read the article then. The complaint isn't about the quality, in fact they say the Nexus 7 has a very good quality IPS display. The problem they say is the calibration on the display is off. Which I agree, mine is certainly off, white saturation is high.

ROM
    Stock

I'm not a big fan of the screen colors myself... particularly the flat saturation. I think I will take the article's advice and wait for something better. Jury is still out though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah he was using auto-brightness, which admittedly isn't very good. The screen looks really, really good at about 3/4 to max brightness and I say that after using the One X as my daily driver.

Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display. Gizmodo's own review writes multiple sentences about how nice it is in their own review. This is basically just another article from an "expert" explaining why something is terrible even though it got near unanimous praise by gadget reviewers in actual practice. Hey, I know! Let's compare a $200 tablet display to a professionally calibrated studio monitor. What you say?! It's not as good?!
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display. Gizmodo's own review writes multiple sentences about how nice it is in their own review. This is basically just another article from an "expert" explaining why something is terrible even though it got near unanimous praise by gadget reviewers in actual practice. Hey, I know! Let's compare a $200 tablet display to a professionally calibrated studio monitor. What you say?! It's not as good?!
    Display calibration really should have no bearing on the cost of the tablet. I don't think it costs more to calibrate the Nexus 7 than it does to calibrate a $500 tablet.

Here is a more apples to apples comparison.

My Nexus 7 on the left, my Nook Color on the right.

Last edited by Ravynmagi; 07-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Also, I noticed that some colors look a bit faded compared to the Nook Color. Yellows and Greens were visibly more washed out on the Nexus 7. Red, Blue, Magenta, and Cyans however all seemed fine. Black saturation was a bit weaker on the Nexus 7, but not by much, so not a concern to me.

Mostly I just saw a problem with the white saturation, and the yellow and green colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
    Display calibration really should have no bearing on the cost of the tablet. I don't think it costs more to calibrate the Nexus 7 than it does to calibrate a $500 tablet.

Anywhere here is a more Apples to Apples comparison.

My Nexus 7 on the left, my Nook Color on the right.

Yeah, but your N7 is malfunctional ravy, I've read your threads. If you go on xda, someplace they have a picture of a properly functioning N7 next to one of the funky washed out ones. It's way different. Apparently the contrast changes if you use certain apps/watch movies on the malfunctional ones too. Go to Staples and check out the display device. It would really be funny if the reviewer got a bad one.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display.
    And that's the problem, if I had known the screen was going to be the way it is, I would not have made the purchase. Compared to my Galaxy Nexus, the N7 screen is washed out.
    serottalg likes this.

Yeah, but your N7 is malfunctional ravy, I've read your thread. If you go on xda, someplace the have a picture of a properly functioning N7 next to one of the funky washed out ones. It's way different. Apparently the contrast changes if you use certain apps/watch movies on the malfunctional ones too. Go to Staples and check out the display device. It would really be funny if the reviewer got a bad one.

That has been a big question for me. Is my Nexus 7 malfunctional or is what I'm seeing normal, but just not noticeable enough for most people to care about?

When I see an article such as this, it makes me think perhaps this is more prevailant than I thought. But I don't know. I'm asking Google about it (emailing, have no patience to sit on hold for two hours).

PS. I would like to check it out at Staples or something, but it seems it's completely sold out and I haven't found any display models.

That has been a big question for me. Is my Nexus 7 malfunctional or is what I'm seeing normal, but just not noticeable enough for most people to care about?

When I see an article such as this, it makes me think perhaps this is more prevailant than I thought. But I don't know. I'm asking Google about it (emailing, have no patience to sit on hold for two hours).
    I would just go check out a display device at staples, man.

I returned to Staples and it seems their Nexus display unit isn't with the other tablets in front of the store, but all by itself off to the side of the store (weird).

Anyway, I took a look at it, downloaded the Display Tester app and looked at the same tests. I noticed the white saturation was off on this display unit, the same as mine. You can't see the bottom row of boxes (such as the picture I posted before) on the Nexus 7. Also yellow and green had a pastel washed out look too, just like mine.

The display does look good and I wouldn't be surprised if some people looking at it doesn't notice it's poorly calibrated. But for some reason it really stands out to me, mostly the white saturation.

And perhaps only some of the units have calibration issues.

Google responded to my email request and gave me an RMA and a link to request a replacement unit. So I think I'll go ahead and have Google send me the replacement and hope for a better calibrated unit. Or at least one that doesn't have that other issue of causing the screen to look over exposed after playing videos.

I use the very sophisticated and scientifically proven "66yo Eyeball Test".....If it looks good to me....it is....period.....and my N7 passed the test. For that matter, my Nook Color passed the test!!

Kind of like overclocking....who gives a rat's *** if something downloads in 5 milliseconds or 3 nano seconds?
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

That has been a big question for me. Is my Nexus 7 malfunctional or is what I'm seeing normal,
    display test shows same w/ mine...that's why I said the last 10 values of the black and white display test are both crushed (look the same).

It's just bad calibration...whenever the Android OS supports color calibrary (and if the Tegra3 hardware supports LUTs), it'll be fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post

It's just bad calibration...whenever the Android OS supports color calibrary (and if the Tegra3 hardware supports LUTs), it'll be fixed...
    It seems to me that nobody really has an idea whether the display can be "fixed" or not..and I for one don't have the technical know-how to offer an opinon either way. I suppose what I would ask you more tech-savvy people is this: how likely do you folks think it is that this is an issue that can be corrected with a software update, costume kernel, etc? Or does it seem more likely that this is something we are going to be stuck with.

Overall, I am very happy with my N7..but I really am starting to wish for a little improvment in screen color.

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Default Re: Interesting article about the Nexus 7's screen relating to color

Yea when I put this next to my Galaxy Nexus and look at the same content it's not even close. This is one of the worst screens that I've owned unfortunately. I trusted all of the reviews that talked about an HD screen when I should have checked it out for myself. Very disappointing.
    @Arevill

I find AMOLED screens to be very much over saturated and not color accurate.

IPS screens are much more color accurate but less intense.

My preference is for the better color accuracy of my Asus Nexus 7 IPS screen.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7 tablet.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I can't speak for every N7 out there as I've, obviously, only used mine. But, my display is as perfect as I'd expect.

I'm a photographer with a properly calibrated PC display and my photos look near identical on the N7.

Most "defaults" for screens in the consumer world are overly saturated, bright, and vibrant. So, people have naturally come to expect that to be correct. And that's fine: I'm not going to tell someone that what they enjoy viewing is wrong. But, as a guy who is concerned (and picky) about how his photos are displayed and proper colour reproduction etc, I have no complaints with my N7's performance. None at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast