Currents

lewiswalsh

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Finally got my Nexus 7 16gb yesterday and everything is working as expected. I can't say enough good things about this device. However...

Google Currents simply will not open for me. It just says 'Signing in...' with the little circles moving around. The device doesn't hang as the three buttons at the bottom work fine. It just won't sign in. Sometimes it will say 'You must be online to use etc.' but the device definitely is online as confirmed by other apps.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've tried restarting the device, tried force-stopping Currents, tried clearing the cache and App data. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall but the Nexus 7 won't allow me to uninstall it!

I'm all out of ideas.

lewiswalsh

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Google Play Books was also refusing to behave saying it couldn't download books from my account. Suspecting this may be a permissions issue I added my GMail account (currently using my Google Apps for your Domain account) and suddenly Google Play Books works perfectly, but only with the GMail account. I wonder if this is the same issue plaguing my Currents installation.

Does anyone know which services I should allow within Google Apps for your Domain to prevent issues like this in the future?

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't even use Currents yet it's what's eating up most of my usage. What's up with that?

Have you got it to auto sync with your Google account?

Or are you talking about battery? In any case try turning off auto sync in your Google account settings. See if that helps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't even use Currents yet it's what's eating up most of my usage. What's up with that?

I'm with R Devine on this, but I'm curious: what usage do you see Currents eating up? It shows up as a thread in my CPU monitor, using effectively zero processes, but besides that it appears irrelevant.

I am so used to crapware taking up minimal cycles on my Gingerbread phone that I've become immune to these stock apps taking up thoughts, though am genuinely interested in your experience.

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
For me it's not cpu usage but data usage. It's usually the top app. But it's WiFi, so I'm not sure it's really an issue. Like someone else said, I would imagine if you disable auto sync it would drop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
True indeed... Currents shows up fifth in data usage on my N7. Behind my pod catcher, Flipboard, Chrome, and the Play Store.

As a default, I check that as a problem. Huh. I think I opened the app once, saw nonsense and closed it. To think it is racking in that much data is a little questionable. Over WiFi, whatever, but how does this pass over cell?

Can folks running Jelly Bean on the phone chime in with usage data?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Currents shows up as one of the heavier data users on my machine, too. (200MB over 4 days, and I had never even run it. Ever).

Last night I ran it for the first time and discovered that there is an option to sync with the server which is defaulted to ON. I turned it OFF and I'll see if it stops using data.

To OP: If you can't get Currents and other Google services to start, it might be worth doing a factory reset and seeing if that helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay