Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Oh nvrmind, I see what he was getting at. That's ****** up man. Don't do that, man, seriously. Unless you're short and really need a bag and some smokes and that **** broken Nexus 7 is cuttin into your funds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Especially if you really need a bag....lol

Thanked by:

Default Re: Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

My Nexus 7 without a case fell onto my bathroom floor (hard tile) by about 18 inches, thankfully it dropped onto the back rubber side (WHEW!) and the device is still in perfect condition.

I can't wait for my screen protector to arrive in the main in the next day or two. Then a case when I find the right one.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post
    My Nexus 7 without a case fell onto my bathroom floor (hard tile) by about 18 inches, thankfully it dropped onto the back rubber side (WHEW!) and the device is still in perfect condition.

I can't wait for my screen protector to arrive in the main in the next day or two. Then a case when I find the right one.
    That's just too close.....all the more reason to protect it, can't wait to get a case for it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

I'm not a fan of cases personally.

Just put mine in a sleeve to avoid scratches.

Maybe down the road if they are cheap.
    First time Android user coming from iOS. Owner of a Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by adamfrayne182 View Post
    I'm not a fan of cases personally.

Just put mine in a sleeve to avoid scratches.

Maybe down the road if they are cheap.
    I too had this mentality until an unfortunate incident involving my wife flinging my gs2 on the concrete from about pocket height. (total accident she felt horrible) I will give it to Samsung after that drop the screen is still flawless and it landed screen down....needless to say I am more careful and will be buying a case for the n7 even though I hate the bulk. :-/

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Hi All, I am yet another one who cracked my screen.
    I have the raised screen on the left side, so I wanted to open my N7 to check out the back.I didn't actually do anything. I popped the back case back on, but had trouble with one corner. I pressed a bit harder to popped it back it. Next thing I know, there's a crack on my screen.

It's only on the border, and doesn't touch the LCD at all.

Now, the entire screen is completely unresponsive. However, the N7 itself seems to be fine. I can power on, power off, take screenshot- everything works except the touchscreen.

I would like the asks the guys that send them in to ASUS what happened after??
    How much did it cost?

I might have to use a mouse to control it for now.. sigh..

So like the dumbass that I am, I dropped my N7 AGAIN on the same bathroom hard tile floor! This time it fell roughly 2 or 2.5 feet down SCREEN FIRST! I was so scared lifting it up, seeing the potential damage that could have occurred...

Turns out the screen and system is in perfect condition, still! Not a single scratch on it! Wow, am I a lucky SOB!

That sucks to hear thunder9111.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post
    So like the dumbass that I am, I dropped my N7 AGAIN on the same bathroom hard tile floor! This time it fell roughly 2 or 2.5 feet down SCREEN FIRST! I was so scared lifting it up, seeing the potential damage that could have occurred...

Turns out the screen and system is in perfect condition, still! Not a single scratch on it! Wow, am I a lucky SOB!

That sucks to hear thunder9111.
    Are you getting stoned in the bathroom?

Queendroid

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Are you getting stoned in the bathroom?

Lmao! Seriously, wtf?!

Nope, just a clumsy doofus.
    I'm guessing one more drop and it'll all be over for me!

I bought my N7 at Staples while on vacation. I had to stalk the store to get one and when I did they offered me a year accident policy for $40. I never buy extended warranties but considering they only had the 8 gig so I was "saving" $50 and Google was giving me $25 back, I got the extra coverage. I've dropped and seen dropped too many things lately so this looked like something I should get.

Why don't you try contacting Google Play Support?

Originally Posted by king43
    buy one from brick and mortar store and do a switharoo... Totally unethical but would get you a new one and staples has a 1yr accidental plan for 40bux

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Not just unethical, but also illegal. It's fraud, theft, etc. Please don't promote breaking the law. I'm pretty sure this violates forum rules. BTW, serial numbers are checked upon return, so this unethical/illegal idea wouldn't get very far.

It's definitely wrong, and if they record the serial number at purchase and catch you returning a different serial number they have the right to have you arrested and sue you.
    Darth Vader offers you a Guinness.

Cracked my screen after 2 days of owning it. It is completely unusable. I spent $10 to ship it back to ASUS for a non-warranty repair. It took them 9 days to even look at it. I got an email today telling me my $199/8GB tablet will cost $150 to fix it!!! What a joke! I'm probably going to tell them to keep it because I have to pay another $10 just to ship it back to me. $170 for repairing a $199 tablet. Out-frickin-rageous!

ASUS is a really bad company. I would never buy a computer from them so I don't know why I bought the Nexus 7. Probably because it had Google's name on it.

ASUS, get with 2012 and use gorilla glass. Your 2009 original iPad parts aren't cutting it.
    Thanked by 2:
    jdesousa999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquinoent View Post
    @ qdroid:
    I originally called Goog. They pushed me off to Asus since the screen is cracked and that automatically makes it a non-warranty repair. Like I posted, mine is currently at Asus for non-warranty repair, but will be inspected first and then they will contact me with repair details. I'm hoping the repair tech sees there is no damage to the unit and that this may be a defect.
    Here is the number to Asus Support: 877-339-2787. Follow the phone prompts for Eee-Pad as this tablet is in the Eee-Pad family. I had to get an RMA from Asus to return it. They've had it since Thurs 7/26 and no update yet.

Thanks for posting this info, since I too dropped my Nexus 7 last night about 12" from a bed to a wood floor. Friggin' screen cracked - so I'm checking out this route. Any idea what ASUS is charging to fix it? Thanks again! <edit> - Saw post above after posting this....probably NOT going to go this route! <edit>. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Last edited by milaremi; 08-08-2012 at 02:37 PM.

So I just received a response from ASUS. It also took 9 days to receive the response as it did for TheTimmyC and I received the same response. It will cost $150 to repair & another $10 to ship it back to me. It's unconscionable to pay $150 to repair a $250 tablet after 5 days of light usage. Not to mention this crack was likely caused by the "lifting" on the screen from the bezel. I don't think it's a coincidence that sooooo many people are reporting screen cracks with the first batch of tablets that have been available for barely a month. This is a manufacturer defect and ASUS needs to repair these at no cost!
    I just sent a response back stating the same thing. Let's see what ASUS will come back with. I plan to make a stink of this issue and will not let it rest.
    Thanked by 4:
    milaremi and aziie#AC like this.

For us DIYer's here's what the screen element costs on the street - I haven't checked E-bay yet. But of course, it's not available....(sigh).

A word of caution to all of you without hard cases...get one for your Nexus 7 - soon.

I have a tendency to drop things more as I get older. I was worried about dropping mine when I first got it, so I waited until I got a case for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder9111 View Post
    Hi All, I am yet another one who cracked my screen.
    I have the raised screen on the left side, so I wanted to open my N7 to check out the back.I didn't actually do anything. I popped the back case back on, but had trouble with one corner. I pressed a bit harder to popped it back it. Next thing I know, there's a crack on my screen.

It's only on the border, and doesn't touch the LCD at all.

Now, the entire screen is completely unresponsive. However, the N7 itself seems to be fine. I can power on, power off, take screenshot- everything works except the touchscreen.

I would like the asks the guys that send them in to ASUS what happened after??
    How much did it cost?

I might have to use a mouse to control it for now.. sigh..
    EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME. I struggled a bit with opening one corner with the Nexus 7 laying flat on the table. The next thing I know, it cracked on the bottom left corner, just a tad over the lcd screen. Now it doesn't respond to my input.

Quote Originally Posted by aquinoent View Post
    So I just received a response from ASUS. It also took 9 days to receive the response as it did for TheTimmyC and I received the same response. It will cost $150 to repair & another $10 to ship it back to me. It's unconscionable to pay $150 to repair a $250 tablet after 5 days of light usage. Not to mention this crack was likely caused by the "lifting" on the screen from the bezel. I don't think it's a coincidence that sooooo many people are reporting screen cracks with the first batch of tablets that have been available for barely a month. This is a manufacturer defect and ASUS needs to repair these at no cost!
    I just sent a response back stating the same thing. Let's see what ASUS will come back with. I plan to make a stink of this issue and will not let it rest.
    Thanks for posting this (you and timmy).

My N7's screen also cracked (after I dropped it on the floor, within a week of getting the device).

I got off the phone with ASUS support folks a few mins ago, with my RMA number, and was contemplating sending my N7 in for repair, but $150 sounds ridiculous, so it's back to iPad for me.

Of course, it's my fault for dropping the device, causing the screen to crack, but this device seems unusually fragile: all other devices I have had (from iphones to assorted nexus phones to ipads to kindles and kindle fire) were just fine, with the same level of [ab;]use.

Grrrr. Not cool, ASUS and Google, not cool.

Angry Re: Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

Add me to the list. My 3 year old dropped it ~2ft onto wooden floor boards on the fifth day of owning the thing. It cracked along the lower third of the screen, with a bizarre central "bullseye" crack right throught the glass, where all the force of the drop was obviously focussed. Touchscreen unresponsive. Pic of the crime attached.

Maybe I shouldn't have let him play with it, but jeez - he plays with my phones, my laptops, etc and has dropped them all before (as have I), with no problem.

Not happy - there is clearly an issue with the product given the number of people with the same issue within such a short time of use. From my attached pic, and the stories of others, it looks and sounds to me like the nexus 7's body is flexible or something, and the screen is just plain pissweak - the combination of these factors making it implode on small impacts. I read a report on another forum a couple of days ago where a guy's nexus 7 cracked in his bag (no drop required - seemingly just some flex).

Here's hoping Asus / Google do something about it, but I am not holding my breath. I can see myself buying that $130 replacement and DIYing it, but I don't feel that I should give them any more money for a product that does not appear to be fit for purpose. I haven't even had a chance to use my frickin $25 in the Play Store...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?-imag0231.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by christo666 View Post
    Add me to the list. My 3 year old dropped it ~2ft onto wooden floor boards on the fifth day of owning the thing. It cracked along the lower third of the screen, with a bizarre central "bullseye" crack right throught the glass, where all the force of the drop was obviously focussed. Touchscreen unresponsive. Pic of the crime attached.

Maybe I shouldn't have let him play with it, but jeez - he plays with my phones, my laptops, etc and has dropped them all before (as have I), with no problem.

Not happy - there is clearly an issue with the product given the number of people with the same issue within such a short time of use. From my attached pic, and the stories of others, it looks and sounds to me like the nexus 7's body is flexible or something, and the screen is just plain pissweak - the combination of these factors making it implode on small impacts. I read a report on another forum a couple of days ago where a guy's nexus 7 cracked in his bag (no drop required - seemingly just some flex).

Here's hoping Asus / Google do something about it, but I am not holding my breath. I can see myself buying that $130 replacement and DIYing it, but I don't feel that I should give them any more money for a product that does not appear to be fit for purpose. I haven't even had a chance to use my frickin $25 in the Play Store...
    Regarding that $25.00 play store credit...I was saving that to spend on the hard/protective case for my Nexus 7 when it was released (19 bux). Only to find out that you can't use the credit on hardware/devices...wtf? A credit is a credit in the play store, isn't it? Consequently, I did NOT have a case to protect my 7 when it dropped. Ugh. I'm probably going to DIY this fix myself when the replacement screen element becomes available (hopefully soon), because after 24 hours of searching, all other options are just not worth the cost.

It's frustrating.

Thanks to all for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by hamjudo View Post
    I sat down with the Nexus 7 in my back pocket and cracked the screen. Just an inner layer, as the touch screen still works. The whole right side of the display has gone black. The left side is still okay.

I called Google, and they gave me Asus's phone number. I've got an RMA number and will ship it back tomorrow.

Has anyone gotten a repair cost yet for a user induced cracked screen?
    Asus has "only" had my Nexus 7 for 2 days so far. That is based on the UPS tracking information. Asus "Repair Status Inquiry" page still says: "You have reqeusted RMA no. for the machines below; however, they have not been received by us.". I called on the phone, because I was worried it had walked off the loading dock or something. The human on the phone told me that they had received it, but hadn't yet updated the status page. Looks like we've overloaded their repair facility.

I have the 8Gb, so mine had the $199 list price. Will they quote me the same $150 plus $10 shipping to repair it, or is the repair price a fraction of the list price?

The company selling used Nexus parts is a repair place. They are probably parting out broken Nexus's. Unless Nexus's start dying, in large numbers, for some other reason besides cracked screens, they aren't going to have enough replacement screens to go around.

I checked ebay, all 4 of the Nexus 7s that were sold for parts, and the 2 that are for sale for parts, have cracked screens. The 4 where the auctions completed, went for between $60.01 and $85.00, plus approximately $10 each for shipping.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Take it to CPR Cell Phone Repair. They will fix it on site. THey even have a warranty-type coverage "CPR Shield" -i think. $30 for the year(depending on the device), if you damage it, take it back to them and they will fix it for a co-payment of $25-30! Not a bad deal...

oh man... so sorry to hear that.... i know a friend who dropped her iPAd the first day she bought it. and it was suchhhhhh a bummer because she stood in line for 5 hours to get it. The screen and the sides cracked.... she knew there was no way apple would do anything about it so she had to purchase another one...
    i think the only thing Google can do for you is maybe help you get the screen replaced or fixed? but i doubt they'll do it for free because its not a warranty issue..
    converted
    iPhone 4 ---> Galaxy S3
    hopefully.. Galaxy S3 ---> Note 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast