Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

petercwillis

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Not just unethical, but also illegal. It's fraud, theft, etc. Please don't promote breaking the law. I'm pretty sure this violates forum rules. BTW, serial numbers are checked upon return, so this unethical/illegal idea wouldn't get very far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Also, karma is a and will bite you hard.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I do think that it is unusual for so many screens to be cracking so easily on such a new device. I think I treated my Nexus7 about like I treat all my other netbooks, notebooks, and smartphones...and this laptop right here....which is to say, fairly well, but a tablet is a size that perhaps we aren't all used to. I treated mine more like I do one of my smartphones than I do full sized laptop, so when mine fell only a few feet on a rug, landed right side up, and cracked and became unusable, I called Google, and because I was just past the 15 day cutoff, I had to go from the very friendly and understanding (but totally useless) Google people to the more typical 'foreign help desk ESL speaking' people at ASUS.

I figured--correctly--that it was my fault, so I just wanted my screen fixed, and after the boring/typical waits and stuff, I packaged it up and sent it in...after about a week, due to this being a common problem, ASUS got back to me, and said it was $85 parts and $65 labor, and shipping $10 (ground). I paid--it was a 16gb, and yeah, I might as well have paid the xtra bucks and bought a new one, but I just kind of wanted this one back, and also, when I saw how many people were cracking their tablets, I wanted to follow it through, and see just what happened.

I just got it back. Kind of bitter about the whole thing...it did crack really easy, but I think--again--that it's due to two things: my fault in not treating my tablet more carefully, and google's fault for not really testing this more carefully, and seeing that this breaks really easy. It does fit nicely in all my pockets, and since it is a reader, I carried it around same way I've carried my Kindle around these past couple years...Kindle's dropped, bumped against doors, fallen off my bed when I fell asleep countless times....and still here. So this is way too fragile for me, and the whole point of a tablet, to me, is to have a computer I could lug around with me and use in coffee shops and while waiting to eat, etc...but I know I'd be way too worried now about it breaking again, so mine'll be up for sale.

I don't agree with some of the methods described for getting money back, we gotta act right...but I also disagree with fellow who thought this was just normal breakage, and that we were complaining without good cause. This isn't normal. I google around, this thing just came out for sale, and it's breaking right and left...

Anyway, back to my old kindle for reading, and I'll lug around my Dell netbook if I want a computer....

If you spend 5 minutes on Google you'll see far more reports of broken iPad 3's than Nexus 7's. I think you'll find people who end up breaking their N7's screen are in the super minority, thus it's 4?/? star rating on Amazon.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

MadMan84

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I am posting to give Asus props where they are due.

I was one of the first to post to this thread that my screen cracked "spontaneously" (no drop), in one of the earlier pages of the thread, Well, after reading here that others in a similar scenario got shot down by Asus when trying to get warranty coverage, I proceeded to try to get coverage directly from my credit card insurance. But after a couple weeks I learned I needed a repair estimate in order to get that benefit, so I reluctantly got an RMA from ASUS and sent it in, figuring I would eat the postage each way, but would otherwise get reimbursement from my CC for most of the cost (since the repair quotes others said they got were almost $200). Well, I heard nothing ... and nothing ... and nothing ... not even an email ... and then BAM one day FedEx called and said there was a package which required a signature for delivery. I didn't even figure out it was the nexus for a while. But, sure enough, they either repaired or sent a new one, no questions asked.

I should point out a couple things to others in a similar situation: 1) I was clear in my RMA description that I did not drop it, 2) there was no damage that would have hinted at a drop, 3) I had one of the first shipments of tablets that had the known problem of a screw loose on the middle of the left side, perhaps they found evidence of this, 4) the crack clearly originated from the exact middle of the left hand side (which would be a pretty unusual thing for a drop).

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. Slipping a little into editorializing for a moment: I didn't have to lie & cheat square-trade or walmart or anyone else to get satisfaction. I just don't agree that Asus screwing the customer, gives that customer the right to screw the completely innocent third party such as squaretrade. such a customer gives up all moral authority to complain about customer service form anyone, ever again, IMO.

Cubeology

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
We only have ourselves to blame as consumers. We insist on smaller and thinner devices to the point of being ridiculous. A phone or tablet that is one millimeter thinner will sell more than the thicker one. So of course, due to market demand, this is what companies make. We then have to put the thing in a case to protect it. Which make the things suddenly overly large. I would rather have a thicker more robust device to begin with. All of these devices are fragile, not just Asus or Apple, but also Samsung and all the other manufacturers. Panasonic has the right idea with their Toughbook line of laptops, now if only they would make an android tablet.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
We only have ourselves to blame as consumers. We insist on smaller and thinner devices to the point of being ridiculous. A phone or tablet that is one millimeter thinner will sell more than the thicker one. So of course, due to market demand, this is what companies make. We then have to put the thing in a case to protect it. Which make the things suddenly overly large. I would rather have a thicker more robust device to begin with. All of these devices are fragile, not just Asus or Apple, but also Samsung and all the other manufacturers. Panasonic has the right idea with their Toughbook line of laptops, now if only they would make an android tablet.

I like thin devices. I've never had a broken screen either. Maybe it's because I actually take good care of my possessions. Either way, flexible displays will be in devices as soon as early next year and broken screens will be a thing of the past.

alidamushy

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Buy a sqauretrade warranty of amazon and choose the value whether it is a 150 to 175 pound 8 GB or 199 pound 16 GB, wait till you receive a letter from squaretrade to your house and on there it will tell you when your policy starts wait a week and file a claim. this will cost 30 to 40 pounds

MadMan84

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I like thin devices. I've never had a broken screen either. Maybe it's because I actually take good care of my possessions.
Just what is your deal, dude? Many posters had the experience I did, that it just spontaneously cracked while sitting on a table or whatever, but you just keep on ignoring that and REPEATEDLY sermonizing that no one would have any problems if they just took care of things. Are you not reading, slow to understand, or just don't care that your posts are complete non-sequitors to what other people are saying?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Just what is your deal, dude? Many posters had the experience I did, that it just spontaneously cracked while sitting on a table or whatever, but you just keep on ignoring that and REPEATEDLY sermonizing that no one would have any problems if they just took care of things. Are you not reading, slow to understand, or just don't care that your posts are complete non-sequitors to what other people are saying?

Uh, if you actually read his posts, that's the only time he said that. The irony!

stillmind

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Return0:: don't you think he can answer for himself or are you his mother now? Hi, mommy !!! :)

These screens are like butter, man. The tablets are great, the gorilla glass is a failure.

Last edited:

MadMan84

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Uh, if you actually read his posts, that's the only time he said that. The irony!
Well, if there is any irony here, its that in your rush to defend him you apparently did not even look as far back earlier up on the same page of this thread before posting that erroneous claim:
People who are complaining about dropping their device and having it break are being ridiculous. It's an (incredibly thin) piece of glass, not titanium steel. Why don't you people own up to having made a mistake instead of blaming somebody else and expecting them to fix it for free? If you were worried about it getting broken, you should have bought a decent case or spent 20-40 bucks on a warranty. This thread reminds me of the lady who tried to sue McDonalds when she spilled hot coffee on herself. You're not entitled to anything.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

If your device broke by itself, ASUS will replace it free. They have done this for several people in this thread alone. You may note that while this has happened to literally several thousand iPads, Apple will not replace them free of charge. My problem is with people who break their device and then blame ASUS for not having made the screen out of titanium steel or something. Obviously if your device broke by itself, it has nothing to do with care and my comment would not apply to you.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, if there is any irony here, its that in your rush to defend him you apparently did not even look as far back earlier up on the same page of this thread before posting that erroneous claim:

Return0:: don't you think he can answer for himself or are you his mother now? Hi, mommy !!! :)

These screens are like butter, man. The tablets are great, the gorilla glass is a failure.

Notice I said people who DROP their tablets, not people who have spontaneous breaking.

Stillmind: More like your fingers are butter. The screen on the N7 is no worse than any other tablet.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am an Apple guy, and I decided to give this Nexus 7 tablet a shot. I couldn't be further dissatisfied. I've had it two weeks, never dropped it, tonight, it accidentally fell 3 feet off my bed onto the floor which is carpeted, and the screen is cracked in several places and non responsive to touch. I'm sorry but THAT IS GARBAGE! I called google, they pawned me off on ASUS, I called ASUS, sat on hold over an hour, never got anyone. Thoroughly disgusted with this tablet, and the horrible excuse for customer service its manufacturers provided. This is why Apple will always stay a step ahead.

This just happened to me :(

I've never had a screen crack on any electronic device before. This thing is super fragile!

Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. Can I go back to office max and buy the warranty plan that I opted out of still? O only had mine for a week.

I guess they had to cut cost somewhere.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
This is BS. I've dropped tablets before (sorry bit its inevitable) and they've never even scratched. I've had the first gen iPad since it came out and my young kids beat the hell out of it. It's still going strong with no cracks or scratches.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I am an Apple guy, and I decided to give this Nexus 7 tablet a shot. I couldn't be further dissatisfied. I've had it two weeks, never dropped it, tonight, it accidentally fell 3 feet off my bed onto the floor which is carpeted, and the screen is cracked in several places and non responsive to touch. I'm sorry but THAT IS GARBAGE! I called google, they pawned me off on ASUS, I called ASUS, sat on hold over an hour, never got anyone. Thoroughly disgusted with this tablet, and the horrible excuse for customer service its manufacturers provided. This is why Apple will always stay a step ahead.

This is such baloney. Google broken iPad carpet. There's a whole page of results. Stop acting like this only happens to ASUS. BTW, I was drunk a smoking on my back porch and my dog came up from behind me and startled the heck out of me. I jumped and dropping my N7 face first on pavement. It scratched the heck out of the bezel, but it didn't break. It's all about physics and the speed and angle at which it is dropped. An iPad can break just as easily on carpet if you drop it just the right way.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me :(

I've never had a screen crack on any electronic device before. This thing is super fragile!

Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. Can I go back to office max and buy the warranty plan that I opted out of still? O only had mine for a week.

I guess they had to cut cost somewhere.

Buy a square trade warranty for 40 bucks. Wait a week and then file a claim.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try for an rma replacement. If they reject it the ill have to go the Square trade route.

A broken nexus would probably get be about 50 bucks on eBay.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try for an rma replacement. If they reject it the ill have to go the Square trade route.

A broken nexus would probably get be about 50 bucks on eBay.

I were you I would't even think about ebaying it when you can go the square trade route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty