Wifi never shuts off in sleep mode.

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have my wifi setup the correct way in the settings. It should turn off when in standby or sleep mode. But it never does. My standby battery life is horrible. Does anyone else have this issue. I've seen other people on here mention it. Is it a bug or a fix for it?

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
That's what it was set to by default. I have checked that and it still doesn't shut off while in standby. I confirmed this by checking the battery stats, if you touch the graph I believe it gives you more info and my wifi is green all the way across even overnight. I put it in airplane mode once and for the time it was in that it wasn't green. Seems like something is wrong with my tab, not allowing it to turn off wifi in standby. Maybe it's a rogue app maybe not.

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Well according to my battery drain chart it was both. The wifi would never shut off, regardless if it was me hitting the power button or letting the screen timeout in 2 minutes.

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I'll look that up tonight. I've been using airplane mode manually and my battery in standby has been way way better. I tried installing smart actions from my droid razr but that wouldn't work. I'll give the Autoairplane app a try tonight.

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have an app called Y5 Battery Saver. It turns WIFI on when I am in a hotspot I have used before and turns it off when I am at any other location. If I am home, it will turn it on if I turn it off automatically or manually. You may have a an app that does this to save your battery. I hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm not having any luck finding the app. I've recently installed a few apps on my other tab, the acer 500 and it's wifi is now staying on 100% of the time. I'm thinking I'm gonna start from scratch on that one and see if I can find it by going one at a time.

If anyone reads this that hasn't been using airplane mode can you please do a test and post your result. Go to settings, battery and then touch the graph. It will show you more detail and you will see the WIFI. If it's green all the way across it's on all the time. I just want to make sure this is not a operating system bug.

bailydc

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having problems with wifi off during sleep. I've already disabled it in the WiFi advanced menu (set to "never") and yet, when I turn it on after having the device sleep overnight, it says wifi usage was at 100%. Battery tends to deplete 2-3% per hour during sleep. The setting doesn't seem to be very effective on the Nexus 7.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I set mine to disconnect while sleeping and it works in my tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have "notify me when open network is available" checked? I think that over rides the sleep mode... so it will keep checking which requires that your wifi be on...

Suade907

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No developer options for me, I'm just a normal user that was using the tablet in the default mode from the factory. I'll try that "notify me when open network is available" and see if it's checked tonight and see if that makes a difference?

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No developer options for me, I'm just a normal user that was using the tablet in the default mode from the factory. I'll try that "notify me when open network is available" and see if it's checked tonight and see if that makes a difference?

All N7s have the developer options. You just have to enable them...

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Was going to post a new thread but did a Google search and found this

I was wondering if it was just me or my WiFi was going off while sleep mode... every time I turned on screen I would get a bunch of notifications for gmail and googlevoice but now I've made it so WiFi is always on

Also I use battery widget reborn and have it automatically go to airplane at 130am and go out of airplane mode at 430 pm. That way its been on for an hour or so before I get home and then it goes back to airplane when im sleeping. Great app