Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have it, Docs to Go (being an old Palm user :)), and Quickoffice on my phone and Nexus. I find (annoyingly) that each of them has one or two things that they do better than the others, but none of them put it all together.

I only bought DtG, got the other two from Amazon as FAtD's, so it's not really a big deal. If I hadn't got the other two free I would have probably stuck with DtG for no other reason than I've been using some form of it forever.

I don't think there are any great mobile solutions for document creation, but with a wireless mouse and keyboard editing existing content is pretty easy on the Nexus. I've used a Microsoft Wireless 800 (kybd, mouse, and mini transceiver with an OTG cable) set-up a few times and it works well.

Sent from my Desire HD
Thanks for the info. I have also tried several and they all have the basic fuctions which are all I will ever use on my mobile devices. I usually just need something that will open and view a file.The Office Suite seems to do all of the various formats but I am finding that figureing out where the basic features are hidden takes a little hunting. Some of the others have toolbars that make it easier for dummies like me. Kingsoft is a free app which on the surface seems to be pretty straightforward but it doesn't do PowerPoint which I need to view on occasion, so I need to keep one of the others. Office Suite does PowerPoint so I'll hang on to it. For Excel and Word,
Kingsoft seems like it would be easier to navigate.

By the way, on a different note, PicSay Pro showed up as a 25 cent option on the Play Store today and may not stay there for long, Office Suite already expired. I have used the free version for a while and it is handy for annotating screen shots for presentations as well as playing around with photos.

Correction - Kingsoft does do PowerPoint, I overlooked it because it opened A PDF when I went into that mode and I didn't realize I could create a new presentation. One more plus for Kingsoft.

Last edited:

pstjmack

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there are any great mobile solutions for document creation, but with a wireless mouse and keyboard editing existing content is pretty easy on the Nexus

You can also try 7Notes for *very* strong handwriting recognition - works great for long document creation, even without an external keyboard, and ideal for taking notes.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Needs Flash, which isn't available through the Play store. Amazon just launched an Instant Video app for the iPad, but it's widely suspected that they won't do an Android version in order to get people to come to the Fire instead.

Got Amazon Prime working by sideloading Flash and using Boat Browser. Dolphin's Settings says it has "turned Flash off because it will crash Dolphin".

Dave

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Got Amazon Prime working by sideloading Flash and using Boat Browser. Dolphin's Settings says it has "turned Flash off because it will crash Dolphin".

Dave

Amazon Prime videos also work with Xscope browser and side loading Flash.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how well this works?
Sprint only offers up to 6 gigs of hotspot data, and I deff need more.

I've been doing it for a few days now on AT&T. Sometimes, I need to stop and restart the service on my phone before the Nexus 7 can locate the signal, but once it's started, it works really well.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Cool way to view and delete photos in your Gallery.

Click on an image to view.
Take your fingers and pinch in on the photo.
You will be presented with a horizontal view of thumbnails.
Scroll left to right to view your photos.
If you want to delete a photo, simply put your finger on the photo's thumbnail, and swipe either up or down.
The picture will be deleted. It will also give you the option to undo in the lower right corner.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Want to see more of your calendar in the calendar app?
Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner in the calendar app, and choose Hide Controls. Use the same procedure and choose Show controls to get them back.
So glad I stumbled upon that option. It was so annoying not being able to see the entire agenda or day view.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Want to uninstall or manually Force Close an app?
Go to your app draw and drag the app to the top of the screen to Uninstall, or drag to More Info to be taken to the settings for that particular app. Allowing you to clear data content for that app, or manually Force Close an app that's stuck on stupid.

Last edited:

Inishatr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Under Google play music app the one with the head phone symbol if you play a file from under there and then hit the little 3 dot, menu in the top right it should say equalizer.

Last edited:

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
If you constantly use the predictive text, you can hold a word and get a bunch of suggestions in a blue box.

uploadfromtaptalk1349718304332.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kimby2209

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually found this trick on accident. Hope it helps! :)
Sooooooo..........go on gallery, then an album,click on one pic and instead of zooming in zoom out of pic and u will see that u can slid pics better. But....... that's not the trick, next u have to slid up on the pic and if u want u can delete the pic yr on. I found this trick the hard way. :( Hope no one else does. :)

btheboat

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble activating a device administrator on my Nexus 7.
I go into security > settings > Device Administrators, but all that tells me is that there arent any set up.
Does anyone know how I can sort this. I assume that this is really easy and I'm just being a bit thick!

TimeHunter

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble activating a device administrator on my Nexus 7.
I go into security > settings > Device Administrators, but all that tells me is that there arent any set up.
Does anyone know how I can sort this. I assume that this is really easy and I'm just being a bit thick!

Device Administration is actually related to applications, not people. An application would need to be installed that includes connections to the device administrator APIs. One ready example of this is the security application Lookout (not affiliated with the company, just use the product). Once installed, there is a device administrator for Lookout in the list.

So, it isn't actually some sort of account you can set up.

More information can be found here:
Device Administration | Android Developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12