Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 LastLast
Like Tree324Likes

Default Re: Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by gtt1 View Post
    Do any others work on N7 ? Like that keyboard and will try it out.
    That's a screenshot of my N7. It will also work on any android device.
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

Quote Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
    If you want a keyboard with numbers, tip number #7 works on our tab.

Excellent tip. Thanks...

Expand your keyboard – Since the Nexus 10 has such a large screen you may want to expand to a full-sized PC-style keyboard that includes number keys and extras like the screenshot above has. It’s tricky to set up, but worth it if you like to type in landscape mode. Go to Settings/Language & input and then touch the settings Sliders next to ‘Android keyboard.’ Next, touch ‘Advanced settings’ and touch ‘Custom input styles.’ It will say Deutsch and Francais, but you can ignore that. Touch ‘Add Style’ near the upper right. Then select your language and change the layout from QWERTY to ‘PC’ or one of the other styles. Now touch ‘Add’ and you’ll see your new style appear in the list. Touch ‘Enable’ and use the back key to go back to the Language & input screen. Now touch ‘Input languages’ near the top and uncheck ‘Use system language.’ Lastly, touch ‘English (US) (PC)’ and you’re done. Source: AndroidPIT
    Mostly to help myself remember How to do it, I broke it down into numbered steps.
    Plus I changed it a bit to add the ability to quickly change between the 2 with the tap of a (keyboard) button....
    (See Pics Below)

1. Settings>Language & Input>
    2. Tap "Android Keyboard" Slider (far right)
    3. Scroll to the bottom and tap "Advance Settings"
    4. Tap "Custom input styles"
    5. Tap "ADD STYLE" (top right)
    6a. In the "Add style" box next to "Language", Choose "English (US)" or whatever from the drop down list.
    6b. In the "Add style" box next to "Layout", Choose "PC" or whatever from the drop down list.
    6c. Tap the "Add" button
    6d. Tap "Enable" in the box that pops up
    7a. You are automatically taken to "ANDROID KEYBOARD" screen, Uncheck "Use system Language" at the top
    7b. Check the box for "English (US) (PC)"
    8. Tap the Home icon because you're done

Step 1 & 2:Tap "Android Keyboard" Slider (far right)

Step 3:Scroll to the bottom and tap "Advance Settings"

Step 4:Tap "Custom input styles"

Step 5:Tap "ADD STYLE" (top right)

Step 6:
    6a. In the "Add style" box next to "Language", Choose "English (US)" or whatever from the drop down list.

6b. In the "Add style" box next to "Layout", Choose "PC" or whatever from the drop down list.

6c. Tap the "Add" button

Step 7:
    7a. You are automatically taken to "ANDROID KEYBOARD" screen, Uncheck "Use system Language" at the top

See what happen's when you're having to wait on a call and you've watched all the episodes of Dexter.....

In this video I show you the basics of how downloads work on your Nexus 7. Where do they go and how you can get to them.

Thanked by 5:
    Quelch likes this.

In this video I show you how you can copy and paste on an android tablet. However the functions behind it vary from app to app and, in some cases, it won't work at all.

Thanked by:
    mainmellowdello likes this.

you got to create a date for yoyr calendar i use her to wake me uo reminders etc.seems to be pretty accurate

- - - Updated - - -

you got to create a date for yoyr calendar i use her to wake me uo reminders etc.seems to be pretty accurate

In this video I show you basics of how to setup a new user, switch user accounts and delete a user account. Obviously there are more complex issues with multiple user accounts but these are the basics to get you started.

Thanked by 2:

Welcome to Volume 5 on my Nexus 7 'Basics' series. You'll find ten different hints, tips and tutorials in here about getting the best out of your device, the tips included in this video are:

@0:05 Prevent Auto Update
    @1:04 Visually Organise Folders
    @2:12 What's My Wallpaper?
    @2:41 Save Power, Sacrifice Wifi
    @3:44 How to Turn On/Off Auto Sync
    @5:16 Bluetooth Basics
    @7:30 Get a File Browser Application
    @8:18 Where are my Downloads?
    @9:59 Copy and Paste Basics
    @11:47 Setting up a User Account
    Thanked by 4:
    irratebass1 likes this.

Hey all,

I'm back after a short break with an absolute monster. All my previous 50 tips rolled into an hour long video. Good for bookmarking for reference.

Time index below

1 @0:54 Check Your Screen
    2 @2:20 Screen Rotation
    3 @3:07 Installing Incompatible Apps
    4 @4:40 How to Install Flash
    5 @7:56 How to Take a Screenshot
    6 @8:32 How to Take a Picture
    7 @9:08 Headphones
    8 @9:42 Notifications
    9 @10:32 System Keyboard Sounds
    10 @11:26 Spolier Alert
    11 @12:04 Ultimate Rotation Control Tip
    12 @13:13 Place, Remove and Uninstall Apps
    13 @14:21 Push App Installs to Nexus 7
    14 @15:10 Connect a Bluetooth Mouse
    15 @16:54 Googleplay Refunds
    16 @18:01 Connect a USB Keyboard
    17 @19:03 Disable System Applications
    18 @20:30 Multiple Volume Levels
    19 @21:21 Charging via USB
    20 @22:01 Transfer files via USB
    21 @23:55 Disable Notifications
    22 @25:06 Change your Launcher
    23 @27:21 Spoiler Alert 2
    24 @28:06 The Built in Gallery
    25 @29:00 Icon Management
    26 @29:56 Visual Imput Prompt
    27 @30:48 Animation Tweaks
    28 @29:59 Cold Boot
    29 @33:08 Power Usage
    30 @34:00 Sourcing APK Files
    31 @36:41 Software Updating
    32 @38:09 Homescreen Dock
    33 @39:21 Widget Managment
    34 @40:10 New Notification Setup
    35 @41:00 Task Manager List
    36 @42:01 Deleting From the Gallery
    37 @42:55 Instant Gallery Uploads
    38 @44:40 How to use Daydream
    39 @46:22 Switch on Developer Tools
    40 @47:11 How to Uninstall System App Updates
    41 @48:43 Prevent Automatic Application Updates
    42 @49:41 Visually Organising Folders
    43 @50:47 My Wallpaper
    44 @51:16 Save Power, Sacrifice Wifi
    45 @52:20 How to Turn On/Off Auto Sync
    46 @53:48 Bluetooth Basics
    47 @56:06 Get a File Browser
    48 @56:55 Where are my Downloads?
    49 @58:35 Copy and Paste Basics
    50 @1:00:24 Setting up a New User

Agree 'bout reading manual [not that is]-JUST HUMBLE OPINION-, thought a) one intent of 'forum. Personal note, t.b.I. - difficulty reading, b) sometimes hard to find correct terminology automated search, whereas 'friendly & knowledgeable' users can/should be able to interpret.

The manual doesn't tell the user everything. I have had to do my own research on the NFC area at the back of the Google nexus 7.

Hi---Wondering if anyone has had the following prob and found the fix.
    Just found that the start up login field has changed to a Alphanumerical keypad.
    My PIN is 3 x lowercase alpha and 4 x numerical. The keypad only accepts numerical and thus can not access the tablet.
    Two lengthy Skype discussions with a courteous but less than useful Google Geek in Texas!-- with the following suggestions which still hasn't resolved.;-

Attempted to follow instructions to FDR--as initially advised. Still unable to open and follow FDR instructions.
    Next instructed to HR by simultaneously pressing power and volume buttons--Tried Hard Reset--Screen showed "Start field”, up/down arrows and two options “Restart Bootloader” and “Recovery Mode”
    Neither brought me to either FDR or HR---Ultimately returning to the alphanumerical keyboard again.
    Nor does applying the 30sec power press, produce anything other than the keyboard again

Any proactive help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyen Gunn View Post
    Just found that the start up login field has changed to a Alphanumerical keypad.
    My PIN is 3 x lowercase alpha and 4 x numerical. The keypad only accepts numerical and thus can not access the tablet.
    I dont see how your PIN had alphanumeric characters. :what:

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-14-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Erm...
    A pin can't have letters... It is by definition a number... PIN = Personal Identification Number (which is why the phrase pin number winds me up so much)

It is possible the letter was converted to its equivalent number on a phone keypad (a/b/c = 2 etc) so you could try that

Edit:
    If you don't know the number equivalent then (if you also have an android phone) go into the text message app on your phone, create a new message and type the alpha element of the code as the recipient, the Numeric equivalent will be below each letter as you type
    ChromeJob likes this.

Grant, I sure hope you didn't join this forum just to post links to your blog..... Looking at your other posts, it seems so.

Handled by Admin. All hail Admin.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

It's been a while but here's a tip about how to make sure you computer detects your Nexus 7 as a harddrive and not as a camera.

Want to put a message on your lockscreen? Here's how.

If you have multiple users on your tablet, tap on your profile picture from the quick settings bar to lock the screen.
    [Spoiler]Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks-uploadfromtaptalk1365359448036.jpg[/spoiler]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Did you know you can zoom into any homescreen or application... if you really want to.

Thanked by 3:
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Excellent tip. Thanks...

Mostly to help myself remember How to do it, I broke it down into numbered steps.
    Plus I changed it a bit to add the ability to quickly change between the 2 with the tap of a (keyboard) button....
    (See Pics Below)

1. Settings>Language & Input>
    2. Tap "Android Keyboard" Slider (far right)
    3. Scroll to the bottom and tap "Advance Settings"
    4. Tap "Custom input styles"
    5. Tap "ADD STYLE" (top right)
    6c. Tap the "Add" button

Step 1 & 2:Tap "Android Keyboard" Slider (far right)

Step 3:Scroll to the bottom and tap "Advance Settings"

Step 4:Tap "Custom input styles"

Step 5:Tap "ADD STYLE" (top right)

Step 6:

6c. Tap the "Add" button

Step 7:

See what happen's when you're having to wait on a call and you've watched all the episodes of Dexter.....
    Absolutely a fabulous tip. I have always wanted a PC keyboard available on my Android devices. Thanks for the great info.

Dave: Sent from my Nexus 7
    Peace
    Leozdad

Don't look for a way to make money.
    Find a way to make a living doing what you like to do anyway.
    Otherwise you're just raising ransom to buy back your life

Rezounding Vigor Rocks!
    Thanked by:

hi,im new to this forum,i just bought a nexus 7 this morning,i had it out and going in my car lol,i dont know how you can wait this long to open it,but yah hope you like it,im kinda mad that i cant add an sd card for more storage,is that true? do you know?

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Google Play Music > Explore similar artists

Not sure if this is necessarily a Nexus 7 tip, but I thought it was pretty cool.

In the play store when browsing music, hit the "Explore similar artists" link and it opens a hyper-tree that lets you explore other artists related to what you're looking at.

Thanked by:
    brainvision likes this.

A little bit of catch up work here.

The first is notification app info tip

Next is quick switching user profiles

And finally, a way to stop app icons automatically appearing on the home screen after an install

Quote Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
    READ THE MANUAL!

You mean the manual with NO INDEX???? Loads of fun trying to find any info in that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbentson View Post
    You mean the manual with NO INDEX???? Loads of fun trying to find any info in that.
    SEARCH is your friend....

A couple more tips for you here.

A quick tip on how to quickly switch users.

And a tip on how to tweak your default keyboard - one which has been featured in pictures a few times on this thread.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 LastLast