Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It works really well (I'm using it now), but it's not free data. It creates a mobile hotspot using your data. You can secure the network so no one else can use it but the data used still counts against your monthly allowance.

vgjfelix

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Vgjfelix,
I personally really appreciate the time and effort you have put into these videos. These tips are very helpful and a video is worth a thousand words (or more) in a cryptic manual. I don't think you deserve the criticism received in previous posts in this thread, there are a lot of us that are new to the Android world and even the help with some of the basics that others have already mastered is a big plus for us Android dummies (no disrespect to others reading, just classifying myself and possibly other newbies). Don't stop posting, I watch for updates almost daily. Have you figured out how to get folder labels to appear in the task bar folders? Mine are labeled but only the folders appear, not the labels for these folders. The labels appear on my ICS phone task bar.

Thanks for the support.

Sorry I missed your question first time around about labels for folders that are in the dock. I don't think this can be done, it just seems to slice off the label if you've put it on the folder in the normal screens.

You can check out other launcher which might do it. Off the top of my head I think go launcher HD 'might' do it. It has a dock but I can't remember if you can label folders in it.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the support.

Sorry I missed your question first time around about labels for folders that are in the dock. I don't think this can be done, it just seems to slice off the label if you've put it on the folder in the normal screens.

You can check out other launcher which might do it. Off the top of my head I think go launcher HD 'might' do it. It has a dock but I can't remember if you can label folders in it.

No problem, it's not a biggy, just curious. Your videos are very helpful and I downloaded your App, nice touch. Thanks for all of your efforts!

ShortFuse321

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Magnify

Sorry if this has already been posted. I actually have not read this anywhere so I'm still experimenting. if your screen is not zoomed too much, you can quickly tap on a small area or a small link and it will bring up the area magnified. For example, try this on the small numbered pages at the bottom of this forum. Tap quickly and it will magnify the 1,2,3... And you can more easily make your selection.

For some reason, it does not always seem to work for me. That is, it magnifies some things, but not others. Still testing...

oldschool2

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Good demo to start you off.. :)

Everyone beats the Mets. Goooo Nats! ;)

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkhp6BwnGo[/YT]

Are you kidding me?!! I didn't think that voice control would be like that! I'm blown away by that! I'm a newbie if you haven't figured it out yet. I just got a Nexus 7 this past saturday and am learning how to use it. This stuff is crazy good!

bbcicamica

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: HBO GO

I downloaded that application my wallpaper in landscape mode still looks like this: Is there a setting for it that I dunno abt? Sometimes it shows up properly but than after a while it shrinks.
Screenshot_2012-09-25-07-54-24.png

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: HBO GO

I downloaded that application my wallpaper in landscape mode still looks like this: Is there a setting for it that I dunno abt? Sometimes it shows up properly but than after a while it shrinks.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/krisztibi/Screenshot_2012-09-25-07-54-24.png
Try Rotation Locker and then long press on Auto to activate in the background. See if that keeps your wallpaper from retaining portrait mode. I had this problem with one of the rotation apps with web sites staying in portrait mode but after trying so many I can't remember which one had the problem. Rotation locker seems to be working so far. It works with my home screen without a custom wallpaper, I just have a picture from my gallery as the wallpaper.

bbcicamica

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

kevin Ryder

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Does everyone no about the jb+ camera' that let's u shoot 720p video from the front facing camera

Sent from the Nexus 7.

---------- Post Merged at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Does everyone no about the jb+ camera' that let's u shoot 720p video from the front facing camera

Sent from the Nexus 7.

smartk9s

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
R u using a custom ROM? Where did u find instruction for rooting if u don't mind me asking? Txs!

---------- Post Merged at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:02 AM ----------[/

Yes! Even after I set it my wp in landscape mode looks like that. Shrunk! Lol

You could start with http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-rooting-roms-hacks/

OK...as for the shrinking wp...now I'm just guessing, but the fact that you've rooted may be affecting Rotate. Or, the wp you're using has a quirk. Use a factory wp for a while to test that. If it still shrinks, uninstall or disable Rotate and try a different rotate app (someone else can recommend an alternate...I've only used Rotate.) Good luck :)

bbcicamica

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You could start with http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-rooting-roms-hacks/

OK...as for the shrinking wp...now I'm just guessing, but the fact that you've rooted may be affecting Rotate. Or, the wp you're using has a quirk. Use a factory wp for a while to test that. If it still shrinks, uninstall or disable Rotate and try a different rotate app (someone else can recommend an alternate...I've only used Rotate.) Good luck :)

Txs! I'm not rooted. Yet!Lol That's why I was asking what ROM ru using. I want to root my Nexus tho. Right now I don't have the Rotate app. I uninstalled it. I figured it caused more trouble than good.

Love my Nexus7!

Last edited:

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion about Office Suite Pro, now on sale at Google Play for 25 cents? I bought it, is there anything out there that shows the featues? I have several apps that view and edit Office documents, is this one any better than the others? I just got it tonight so I haven't had time to try it and to be honest, I don't do this type of editing too often, so I am trying to find one to learn and depend on. I have it on my three Android devices along with the others, Polaris, Quickoffice and Kingsoft. Which one do I figure out how to use and stay with?

And thanks to the post that told me about the Google Play Store sale on 25 cent apps!

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion about Office Suite Pro, now on sale at Google Play for 25 cents? I bought it, is there anything out there that shows the featues? I have several apps that view and edit Office documents, is this one any better than the others? I just got it tonight so I haven't had time to try it and to be honest, I don't do this type of editing too often, so I am trying to find one to learn and depend on. I have it on my three Android devices along with the others, Polaris, Quickoffice and Kingsoft. Which one do I figure out how to use and stay with?

And thanks to the post that told me about the Google Play Store sale on 25 cent apps!

I have it, Docs to Go (being an old Palm user :)), and Quickoffice on my phone and Nexus. I find (annoyingly) that each of them has one or two things that they do better than the others, but none of them put it all together.

I only bought DtG, got the other two from Amazon as FAtD's, so it's not really a big deal. If I hadn't got the other two free I would have probably stuck with DtG for no other reason than I've been using some form of it forever.

I don't think there are any great mobile solutions for document creation, but with a wireless mouse and keyboard editing existing content is pretty easy on the Nexus. I've used a Microsoft Wireless 800 (kybd, mouse, and mini transceiver with an OTG cable) set-up a few times and it works well.

Sent from my Desire HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae