Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

Chiachi70

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Had this issue myself..and there is a resolution.

when you launch Google Now and the weather card appears, click on the three dots. A settings popup will apear>click.
- under 'Weather Units' select Celsius

done!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
EBOOKS link madness

Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
calibre - E-book management --> Calibre home
Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
MobileRead
614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
Best Free eBook Reader for Android ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com -----> same as above reviews
Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ----> real nice comparison tables

irratebass1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: EBOOKS link madness

Thanks for this, I was given a flash drive with 630 some books that are all epub and I wanted to put them on my N7, I thought I had to download something and move the books there....now I just need to really read your post and hit the links. Thanks again!

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I think this was recently added in the latest 4.2 update. Turning up the volume to a certain level brings this up:

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354507802842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354507802842.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 606

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this was recently added in the latest 4.2 update. Turning up the volume to a certain level brings this up:

Yeah, I noticed it too on my Nexus 7 when I have it plugged into a speaker dock in which case I need to turn the volume way up so that it can be heard through the Aux port on my speaker dock.

It's annoying. Is there a way to turn it off?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed it too on my Nexus 7 when I have it plugged into a speaker dock in which case I need to turn the volume way up so that it can be heard through the Aux port on my speaker dock.

It's annoying. Is there a way to turn it off?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Just hit OK, and it'll stay off until you reboot the tablet. :)

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Any idea on how to search emails on the stock email app (not gmail) on the nexus 7? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Open one of your accounts and press the search soft key at the top.

The first N7 I had wouldn't ever come up with any results though. I had to exchange it out and email search works on my new one . If you're not getting results try a hard reset. Or you might just be able to clear data on the email app and re-setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7

samsafi

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've been looking for this trick/tip

I don't know if this has been posted.

While holding the N7 in landscape mode, you can turn the volume up or down by swiping up or down on the right edge of the screen. Swiping up or down on the left edge of the screen to increase or decrease the brightness.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was just answering the question. I agree that a lot of the posts here should not be in this thread, but rather on their own threads in the main forum.

forresian

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, can anyone please recommend an app that will sync my MS Outlook 2007 Calendar with my Nexus 7 tablet Calendar. Prefer USB link as PC is not wireless enabled.

Best wishes, John [Forres, Scotland]

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi, can anyone please recommend an app that will sync my MS Outlook 2007 Calendar with my Nexus 7 tablet Calendar. Prefer USB link as PC is not wireless enabled.

Best wishes, John [Forres, Scotland]

You can use the Google Calendar sync program on your PC. It looks like they've removed the link for the install, but they're still allowing new sign-ups until 30 Jan. As long as both devices are connected to the internet this is probably the easiest solution. I'll see if I can find the install on my laptop somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7