Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes WiFi connections to the Nexus 7 are a problem but this issue is not always easy to fix.

Slow downloads and excessive buffering of video streams indicates a poor connection someplace between your display software and the source of the vid stream. Check your settings along the part of the route you control - N7, WiFi, Router. DNS service. The part you do not control is generally not the problem but there are lots of exceptions there as well. You need to find where along the line the problem is coming from 1st.

settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > Advanced > wifi optimization (try toggle both ways)
settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > WiFi Direct > nothing checked
android ping & trace https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.ping&feature=search_result&token=8db_bvWR
---------- general apps ----------
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test <---- Android version available - will tell you about the general speed of your internet connection
SpeedGuide.net :: Broadband Tweaks, Tools and Info <----utilities and info on internet connections
namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting <------ find the best DNS server
PingPlotter Freeware <-------- see the speed of the packet-hops to your machine

=======================================
You can always sidestep the WiFi connection entirely:
Connect your Nexus 7 with an (LAN ) ethernet adapter connection:
USB to Ethernet adapter - xda-developers

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I found that battery life increases from 1 day to well over 4 if I have the setting "turn wifi off when asleep" set to Yes. The Nexus seems to reconnect very quickly and it doesn't use any power when asleep.

I hope this helps - if it's already been mentioned, then I apologise.

Alan

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You have got to be kidding me. Some people need instructions on opening the box? ... Oh, wait. My 10 yo daughter needed a little explanation on Christmas day. (She was trying to angle the bottom out, not drop it out smoothly.) I get it.

For everyone's reference, USB connection type is accessed in Settings | Storage | [action overflow menu] USB computer Connection. You're welcome. ;)

For planes, buses, and trains you've got to at least have in-ear headphones that seal. The best I've had are some Sony in-ear with the silicon ear pieces I got for $90 a few years ago. Haven't ever used any super expensive ones. I like the small in-ear ones because they're more convenient than the over the ears (and you don't look like a hipster when you're using them).
I concur. For planes & trains, you need either over-ear headphones, or in-ear monitors. I like Bose IEMs, but they're pricey -- $100 for good $50 ear buds. You can get a boatload of opinions and recommendations for all price ranges at head-fi.org. Gizmodo held a "battlemodo" 4 years ago for IEMs that yielded some surprise winners/bargains.

Last edited:

bbcicamica

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You have got to be kidding me. Some people need instructions on opening the box? ... Oh, wait. My 10 yo daughter needed a little explanation on Christmas day. (She was trying to angle the bottom out, not drop it out smoothly.) I get it.

I never understood the unboxing videos either. I had opened a few device in my life w/o watching any video how to open the box. I mean plz... There's only so many options - u use smtg sharp to cut the tape that holding the lid in place. How difficult that could b!?

Nexus7 baby!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Blown Speaker Fix, sort of...

Blown Speaker Fix, sort of...

Found a vid that will help, sort of. If you check the comments for me, you'll see where I used a piece of foam instead of his solution. Not to spoil the ending but FYI, you still have one good speaker.....

youtube.com/watch?v=bJbpyRjvg7A

My comment on youtube:

Mat Helm 1 second ago
Thanks to your vid, I opened mine up. But having called google on 12/19/12 to take advantage of their "rapid replacement" warranty, I didn't want to do anything permanent or even hot glue'ish. But tiring of ear buds and being that I still haven't received my promised (twice now) RMA and/or shipment notification (01/04/13) I had to do something. So having read somewhere else a while back about foam, I snipped a piece (1/4x1/4x1/4 roughly) from my mattress pad and placed it over the offending speaker. Wa La... problem solved. At least the one problem, still waiting on google. 17 days kinda takes the rapid outta rapid replacement huh....

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you go to settings/about tablet and start tapping on build number (10 times, I think) it shows you developer options. Also, this is something I've done personally, but by making the background a dark color, I used Widgetsoid to create a stock-blue colored widget with all the info I like to see at a glance. (CPU temp/usage, battery temp/life, brightness control, a clear cache button, clock, and a 'post to Facebook' button along with wifi controls.) The great thing is that this widget is more advanced than the horizontal strip that comes stock, and you can set it vertical, which is a huge plus for me.

*EDIT*

Just found out a way to remove lag. There is a problem with the random-something-or-other-generator on the N7, and an app called Seeder takes care of that. My device is responding as fast as it was out of the box. Here is the link from the dev about it.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/0...nd-others-with-seeder-application/#more-94361
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
*EDIT*

Just found out a way to remove lag. There is a problem with the random-something-or-other-generator on the N7, and an app called Seeder takes care of that. My device is responding as fast as it was out of the box. Here is the link from the dev about it.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/0...nd-others-with-seeder-application/#more-94361
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

but read this:
Entropy Seed Generator Not All It?s Hacked Up to Be ? xda-developers

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Alright. Did you read the comments? It's a full out geek rage war over there...... From what i understood, all I'm doing is keeping the CPU always running, basically simulating 'performance, mode. But what i know that does help is to disable all the unused Google apps. In Settings/Apps, slide to all, then tap and disable. This keeps them from running on the background, and makes N7 faster. :):thumbup:

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Alright. Did you read the comments? It's a full out geek rage war over there...... From what i understood, all I'm doing is keeping the CPU always running, basically simulating 'performance, mode. But what i know that does help is to disable all the unused Google apps. In Settings/Apps, slide to all, then tap and disable. This keeps them from running on the background, and makes N7 faster. :):thumbup:

yepper - full on wall to wall - as usual at XDA whenever there is tech disagreement, heh.

Yep, vampire apps suxor and just so many in Android, which is why i use task killers when i have to, and shut off sync, gps, & wifi when not in use...there I fixed it !!

LOL

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
yepper - full on wall to wall - as usual at XDA whenever there is tech disagreement, heh.

Yep, vampire apps suxor and just so many in Android, which is why i use task killers when i have to, and shut off sync, gps, & wifi when not in use...there I fixed it !!

LOL

I made a custom toggle widget with all that in it. :D:thumbup: task killer (using sdmaid), cache clearer, GPS toggle( mostly off) and WiFi is set to be off when asleep. :) question, though, when you press the power button and the screen goes dark, is that sleep mode?

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463