Nexus 7 lag problems

Sauceboy25

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So I'm a new Nexus 7 owner. Got it in pre-order. And new to Android entirely. Have had 2 iPhones and have used an iPad 2 extensively.

I like the tablet a lot.

However, it seems to be developing a lag problem that appears to be worsening. And I can't for the life of me figure out why. And when I say lag, I mean like waiting 10+ seconds for a website to come up on Chrome. Or 60 seconds for Facebook. Or 15 seconds for Google Now to clean up after pulling it up. GoogleTalk/Gchat can be similarly bad.

I've installed a system monitor to see what's going on, and its still not clear. I'm not overloaded on apps - maybe 110 total, including all the defaults. I have 3.2gig of storage left out of the original 16. I don't have anything serious running in the background. Only a few widgets - Sense Analog clock, a weather channel widget, calendar, CNBC news, and the Play Music widget.

I realize that the Facebook app is crap, and that Chrome is apparently laggy too. But the Google app? And it wasn't laggy out of the box. So I'm assuming there isn't a hardware problem here, so what could be doing this and what are some solutions.

Anybody have any insight here?

Last edited:

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
This may suck to hear, but try a factory reset, or try standing RIGHT NEXT to your WiFi router, to make sure you're getting a perfect signal. Besides that, your hardware is busted and you need to get a replacement.

My Nexus 7 is perfection, the longest lag I've seen (only once or twice) lasted like 1/5 of a second.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it maybe stemming from the fact you are used to using devices that are $600+. I mean test drive a Cadillac then test a Ford Fusion there is a $20,000 difference for a reason. And yes iPads and iPhones are high quality devices even if they are junk IMO.

XenIneX

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue, and it appears to be some kind of compatibility issue between the N7 and certain routers or WiFi chipsets.

When I'm connected to my Asus (irony!) N16 running Tomato firmware, connections to certain network resources take forever. On my Verizon-provided Actiontec junker, however, it simply flies. The problem appears to be exacerbated by different router configurations; try changing the preferred channel your router and see if that helps (or hurts).

Hopefully this is a driver issue which can be fixed....

Fuzzone

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Check your data usage. The Magazine app on my N7 was downloading Gigs of data until I stopped and disabled it. The little lag I was experiencing was gone too.

Settings --> Data Usage

Sauceboy25

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Its doubtful its the internet connection, at least at the source. Its FIOS.

However, on my brother's advice I did a hard factory reset and that seems to have done the trick. Now have to reconstitute everything. Its still odd - couldn't figure out what background process was killing it. But seems fine now. :)