Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Ebook Reader for Nexus 7

I have Google nexus tablet.how do I move my Google play store,kindle, from independent sources,epubs,etc into the nook reader? I am new at this so I need very simple instruction. Thanks. Also, is there one reader available that will allow me to read everything that most people read.

I'm newby with nexus tab. I'm looking for a way to have all my books in one reader. Is that possible? If so which one and how do I move them to that reader? I've seen posts about 'side-loading'-don't understand. I've seen posts about moving files-don'understand.Can you help me?

Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here:

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here:

some more useful links:
    --> Calibre home

---> currently 600+ places for free books online
    ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
    -----> same as above reviews
    ----> real nice comparison tables
    Thanked by:
    myersw 
    mr_nobody likes this.

How do I import epubs into kobo reader? I'm a new by with a Google nexus and need kindergarten instruct :-) . thanks

I love the Nook reader. I would love to move all books possible into this reader but being a new by I don't have a clue how to go about it.And also,when I download a book how (or can) I choose to download into the Nook reader? I have 4different readers with their own libraries. There has got to be a way to consolidate. Thanks

Honestly, bigtroutz gave you the links you need up above. There is no simple solution. You will have to do some reading and make some effort.

[edit]: The above is in reference to your consolidation question. In reference to your epub/kobo question, first you need to copy the epubs onto your nexus 7 (connect with usb, airdroid, etc.). Then in the kobo app, there is an import button.

I starting using the nook reader and love it but I can't find my Google collection,kindle collection or independent books that I have in my tablet's file manager so I can move them to nook to read. Any help would be appreciated.:-)

Newby needs to know where to find Google drive folder. Thanks.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Sheads View Post
    Newby needs to know where to find Google drive folder. Thanks.:-)
    google drive is free 'cloud' storage connected to your N7 by wifi ---- you can also use other cloud services as well like Live Drive (microsoft) or DropBox

Just do a search for the file(s) using your filemanager app like ES File Explorer if they ARE on your N7

I use a program called Airdroid to transfer files to my Nexus 7. It loads an explorer like interface allowing easy access to directories. Go to the Nook/My Documents directory and drag and drop your files there.

Also, I completely agree with using Calibre on the PC side. Best program for converting files to Epub (best for the Nook Reader) and for editing all the info for each file.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Sheads View Post
    I love the Nook reader. I would love to move all books possible into this reader but being a new by I don't have a clue how to go about it.And also,when I download a book how (or can) I choose to download into the Nook reader? I have 4different readers with their own libraries. There has got to be a way to consolidate. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I've been using Adobe Reader to read free pdf books. It has a pretty good zoom and text wrapping feature that I have yet to find with a lot of other readers, oddly enough

I don't even hook up top computer. Dropbox to aldiko and open immediately via fbreader.I was using bluelight reader on the nook to open without needing to use calibre.. Etc but I did that as well for the fire... But not the nexus.I didn't try and see if it will open in the storage where play storebookstore are stored.

Bluelight reader for the fire I meant... Not nook lol

Yes, read and learn LOL its simple.I never needed to use y laptop to open epubs... Just download fbreader if you want the simplest format.
    Theres many ways and ideas..u want specific apps it will work side loading but it will not not remain in the app (like nook) in another tablet.... You will have to repeat process. Dropbox evernote, google drive etc alllll will save round on cloud.

Your google drive folder is on your app section

I use the Kindle app, mainly because I use the bookmark across devices sync. I can read a few chapters on my Nexus, bookmark it, then carry on from that bookmarked page say on my iPhone Kindle app.

Do any of these other suggested readers offer the same? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!

Nook does that as well.

Even if you don't like the Kindle reader, get it anyways. From my findings, Amazon has the most deals of any of the bookstores. They also have free for a limited time books. Sometimes you'll find the first book of a series free as a way to get you to buy the next books, but for the consumer it is a good way of deciding if you want to invest more time to the series.

I have been testing different eBook reader in the last time, since I'm trying to publish my first ePub.

In my opinion, currently is the best reader, if you have a well-designed and well-coded e.pub. It doesn't override the formatting of the designer (but there is an option to do just that) that means it uses the defined fonts, margins, spacing, sizes, that are used to give an optimized reading experience. But as there aren't a lot of well-coded epubs you may have to switch to a different reader.

For that purpose I use , as I don't like the interface and predefined formatting of FBReader, that has been mentioned here before. Cool Reader gives you nearly unlimited customizations in formatting, color or used font. But it also has an option to adapt some (but not all or at least I haven't found the setting) of the predefined formattings.

When it just comes to reading, and you don't mind the limitations of Amazon, the is really great. The settings are limited, but well-balanced. In comparison to other readers you have the biggest offer in eBooks.

As you see, it's not easy to find the perfect eReader for your reading habits. So, if you want a simple reader, with limited (but good) settings, go with Kindle or Aldiko. FBReader or Cool Reader, have a lot of customization, but you may have to spend some time to find the perfect settings for you (and alter them from time to time, depending on the file and book-type). Also give other readers a chance. There are a lot of them on the play store, and maybe there is the perfect one for you.

I've got the Kindle app, but I don't like it. I have visual problems and need to set up specific colour schemes, not to mention line spacing, fonts and so forth. The Kindle app for PC at least allows you to alter the contrast, so that I can read medium grey on black or vice versa, but the Android version only gives you the three default settings of white/black, black/white, and slightly sepia-toned, all of which are far too high-contrast for me. Plus the font range is lousy.

I tried Moon Reader+, but found that as soon as I tried to change the colour scheme, it made the book completely unreadable by showing umpteen pages at once, all on top of each other.

Then I tried Aldiko, and it works a treat. Nice font range, brilliant colour range, good options for line spacing and margins and so forth. I disabled the page turn effect as I always find them annoying, so it just slips happily from page to page when I touch the screen. I did have to disable page numbers, though, as they show up in the wrong place (in the middle of text, not to mention too small to read even if they had been outside the text), which is possibly due to my having set the text to fairly large with almost no margins at all. It's not a problem, as I just touch the middle of the screen if I want to check the page count or switch from the Day colour scheme to the Night one.

It syncs beautifully with Dropbox, in that I just need to put a file into Dropbox on my PC and then touch it on my tablet for it to be promptly put in my Aldiko bookcase. I'm converting everything into epub in Calibre first, as that seems to work best, though if you're not bothered about custom colours and fonts you may not need to. I also have a nice little folder of the books I'm currently reading on my home screen, as there is a good widget system for that.

Problem: I have a few books I bought from Amazon in Kindle format, and would like to be able to buy more. However, I want to read them in Aldiko, not in the Kindle app. If you own a physical Kindle, I understand there 's a system whereby you can email the books somewhere in order to have them automatically converted into another format. I haven't seen that available if you're just using the Kindle app, however. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got the Kindle app, but I don't like it. I have visual problems and need to set up specific colour schemes, not to mention line spacing, fonts and so forth. The Kindle app for PC at least allows you to alter the contrast, so that I can read medium grey on black or vice versa, but the Android version only gives you the three default settings of white/black, black/white, and slightly sepia-toned, all of which are far too high-contrast for me. Plus the font range is lousy.

I tried Moon Reader+, but found that as soon as I tried to change the colour scheme, it made the book completely unreadable by showing umpteen pages at once, all on top of each other.

Then I tried Aldiko, and it works a treat. Nice font range, brilliant colour range, good options for line spacing and margins and so forth. I disabled the page turn effect as I always find them annoying, so it just slips happily from page to page when I touch the screen. I did have to disable page numbers, though, as they show up in the wrong place (in the middle of text, not to mention too small to read even if they had been outside the text), which is possibly due to my having set the text to fairly large with almost no margins at all. It's not a problem, as I just touch the middle of the screen if I want to check the page count or switch from the Day colour scheme to the Night one.

It syncs beautifully with Dropbox, in that I just need to put a file into Dropbox on my PC and then touch it on my tablet for it to be promptly put in my Aldiko bookcase. I'm converting everything into epub in Calibre first, as that seems to work best, though if you're not bothered about custom colours and fonts you may not need to. I also have a nice little folder of the books I'm currently reading on my home screen, as there is a good widget system for that.

Problem: I have a few books I bought from Amazon in Kindle format, and would like to be able to buy more. However, I want to read them in Aldiko, not in the Kindle app. If you own a physical Kindle, I understand there 's a system whereby you can email the books somewhere in order to have them automatically converted into another format. I haven't seen that available if you're just using the Kindle app, however. Any ideas?

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Indigoquilter View Post
    Calibre converts from Kindle to ePub. Google it!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

I had a bunch of older mobipocket purchased books feom my win ce days. They would not load into the kindle reader so I searched online and found out how to make them easier to use. Then used calibre and converted them to epubs and dropped them into my nook app my documents folder. Works great.

Last edited by Kevin O'Quinn; 01-14-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: changed wording

Quote Originally Posted by Indigoquilter View Post
    Amazon's Kindle email service is so that you can email non-Amazon content to your Kindle, and Amazon will convert to the Kindle format. In other words, it's the opposite of what you're trying to do. I can't imagine Amazon doing what you want, either: they have contractual obligations with publishers around DRM content, not to mention that Amazon is financially motivated to entice people to stay in the Amazon ecosystem.

I use Calibre to convert Kindle content. You can search online for Calibre plugins that will let you strip the DRM from the Kindle files, as well. I have found that Calibre frequently gets things wrong in the conversion, but the content is there. For example, a Kindle magazine converted with Calibre might have a completely botched table of contents, but if you read the magazine linearly from front to back you'll see all the content. There may be ways to fix that by tweaking some settings in Calibre, but I haven't been motivated enough to do it. If it's important to you then you'll probably figure it out, or find instructions from somebody else who already has.

I'm trying it in Calibre, and it's refusing to convert the books I paid for, though the freebies seem OK so far. DRM is the problem. If there was a way of doing this legally via Amazon I'd appreciate it, but either way, I paid for those books and I have them in a format I can't actually read, so I would very much like to get this sorted out.

Ah right, it turns out that there are cunning ways to get the trickier Kindle books converted in Calibre. Thanks for that, it's all sorted now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast