Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Nexus 7 connectes to network, but not internet

Hello Forum.

I just received my new Nexus 7 and proceeded through setup. When asked to connect to a wifi network, I chose my wifi (which is 2.5ghz, unprotected, and the router is near the device), and it does connect to the network. However, it does not allow me to access the internet. All my other devices, including iPod touch, laptops, and desktops have no internet connection problems, but my Nexus just won't access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Nexus 7 connectes to network, but not internet

are you sure about your network being 2.5ghz??,because The N7 can't connect to 5ghz networks.

sometimes our two N7's show a wifi connection, but we can't access the net. a simple toggle of Wifi OFF and ON again resolves it. this happens usually when the signal is weak.

have you tried toggling wifi?

My wife just received her Nexus and it has the same problem. It will connect to WiFi and can access the router's webpage but it can't access the Internet. The gateway and DNS servers are entered correctly. All other devices work fine. When I use DHCP it connect to WiFi, but not internet. When I use static IP otption the connect button is always grayed out after all settings are entered.

I was getting address conflicts but updated my router's firmware and issue magically resolved itself

Had this problem a lot when traveling with my W7 laptop. Many solutions on W7 forums. Google it. Mostly ask you to renew your IP address. Don't know about android.

Hi everyone.

I found a fix thru dumb luck... as I am a complete noob. Change your router 54g rate down to 48Mbps... problem goes away! (also using static IP - will not test this as I don't even know what setting I was changing, completely lucked in)

My problem is that I have no trouble connecting to my wireless router at home, and can access the internet with no problems there. But when I'm somewhere else, I can find a wireless network (Starbucks, Village Inn, etc.,) I can connect to it, get an IP address, but can't access the internet.

it will go to the wi-fi but it will not go back to the home page where it says google all it says select a wi-fi

If you're at a hotspot you may have to authenticate on a web page. I get prompts ... sometimes ... from some hotspots on my Amaze (4.0.3) and Nexus (4.1.2). I think the different behavior is based on the hotspot config, but have no corroboration for this.

Check your Wifi icon, I learned this week that if it's grey, not blue, it means you're connected to the AP, but not linked to an Internet service (in the Nexus' case, Google+ or another Google service).
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Happened to me a few times and usually a turning on and off Wii solves it if not just reboot your nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I have a Nexus-7 32Gb for about a week now, but every single time I'll power on the tablet I have connection problems!
    To get internet I try all sort of things: forget the network and connect to it again, manually enter the SSID and the WPA2 sometimes with static and other times with dhcp. On the static mode I correctly enter all the fields required sometimes it works and other times it don't.
    I have also experienced that when I turn on my laptop the my Nexus will get a internet connection, if I turn my laptop off - the connection will stay at my nexus. But every time when I reboot the nexus I will have some connection problem..

P.S: my router is 2.4ghz from experia KPN'

P.S'2: I have also heard about the gelly-bean bug, and that a lot of users experience the same problems like I do!

If it is a widespread problem, mebbe the 4.2 due out this week [?] will have a fix.
    I have only had this happen at a friend's house on his "guest" and using his protected/encrypted account got rid of it.

Unhappy Re: Nexus 7 connectes to network, but not internet

Similar issue. Used to work but now have no internet connectivity. Can still connect to my local wifi network. Everything else (chrome, google apps etc - no connectivity)

Fixed it. Changed to a static IP address and manually entered a DNS server.

From memory, Went into networks and told it to forget my network. Reconnected to the network and check the Advanced box in the wifi set up, selected static IP rather than DHCP and entered an IP address, network gateway and a DNS server (same address as my router= internet gateway) and wifi password and click on connect and its active again.
    Thanked by:

Hi Stevebatten,thanks for your info.I bought the nexus 7 a few days ago and at first I could connect to our home wifi-network(wpa2-PSK) but the wifi signal was just 1 bar.After the days passed by it got worse and worse.The wifi signal went from 1small blue bar to a grey one and from connection to no connection .When I read your comment I changed DHCP into static.Then I used the same gateway-adress as the one of my router and the same ip-adress.After that I have 2blue bars ....thank you very much,that was really helpfull.But I have a question about when I go into advanced settings on my nx7. You can find DNS1 and DNS 2 but what is that for? For DNS1 I used the same adress as the gateway(192.168.1.254) and for DNS2 the adress is 192.168.1.1. And my network-prefix is set to 24...is that ok?
    I'm sorry for all these questions as im not a computer expert,I just really like the device but I wanna enjoy it and not letting it make me sad.When I go to my laptop into Windows IP Config I can see that the IP4V adress is not the same as the IP-adress on my Nexus.Is that a bad thing? and maybe the reason I dont have all 4blue connection bars?
    Anyway thanks for that info mate

No, that's a good thing. A very good thing. Multiple devices cannot share the same IP address.

DNS1 and DNS2 are for DNS servers ... your router will generally suffice for the #1 slot. If you can get to your router control screens, your WAN (internet) DNS server address (generally hosted by the ISP) would be good.

You might want to Google and find some more reading about basic DNS and IP configurations ... it's not simple, but arming yourself with more learning will help.
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

My Nexus 7 worked for two days and then boom. shows grey icon with excellent connection but can't use internet.

have tried to change the IP to static and DNS 2 to 8.8.8.8 but without any luck. my N7 date is correctly set to 18/12/2012 (found these two solutions elsewhere).

Can anyone help? (i am using a d-link router).

I've been able to determine through trial and error, observation , that the grey icon indicates connection to a Wifi network, but NOT to the Internet. Anecdotal information is that the "connected to the Internet" is determined by Google+ or Currents able to reach the mothership. Try clearing the cache of Google+ (in Settings | Apps | All).

When you say "can't use Internet," how are you determining that? Best ways would be open Chrome to Google.com, or open Google Now and search click a Weather card.

HTH...

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    I've been able to determine through trial and error, observation , that the grey icon indicates connection to a Wifi network, but NOT to the Internet. Anecdotal information is that the "connected to the Internet" is determined by Google+ or Currents able to reach the mothership. Try clearing the cache of Google+ (in Settings | Apps | All).

When you say "can't use Internet," how are you determining that? Best ways would be open Chrome to Google.com, or open Google Now and search click a Weather card.

HTH...
    You're right that the blue indicates a connection to google services but you can certainly be connected to the internet without being connected to google services (though google might disagree). I have definitely surfed the web with a gray wifi icon in the past.

I experienced the same problem - My Nexus 7 showed a strong signal and Wi Fi connection. I could do a search in Google but not go to any of the links in the search results. I cound not access the Internet using Chrome at all. I contacted Asus and their solution was a factory reset. I declined. As a last resort, under [Settings] [Apps] I cleared cache and data in Chrome. The Internet appeared almost immediately and is back as fast as ever.

I didn't use my nexus for a while and was unable to turn it back on so after reconnecting the battery again all the times and dates reset and my internet connection would only be grey. also I could only use Google chrome and wasn't able to access play store,internet apps etc.
    but strangely after changing the updating the date and time everything started working again with 4 full bars !

I had the same problem as others mentioned and it happened after my Nexus 7 battery had gone completely dead. I finally got it started again by using the provided charger and pressing the power button along with the volume button. After I got it running again, it would not connect to Facebook or the Play Store or most other things and kept giving me "Network Error".

The solution was as mentioned previously, I had to go into settings>Date and Time> and set it to pick up the network time and date. Suddenly it started updating all apps, bringing in all
    new messages and when finished all worked again. Facebook and the Play Store were fine.

I just got nexus 7 my WiFi is fine when I'm home how do I get internet connection when I leave the home do I have to purchase something or what

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Coleman View Post
    I just got nexus 7 my WiFi is fine when I'm home how do I get internet connection when I leave the home do I have to purchase something or what
    Connect to wifi elsewhere.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast