Help- where is the address book/list of contacts on GMail, etc.?

bellknap

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Good evening,
well I have searched high and low and can't seem to find anykind of address book on my new Nexus 7.
I was successfull in importing my contacts (converted them via Gmail from CSV to Vcards) and can see them for instance if I try and type and email and start typing the name.
Can also see them listed in first name order in the People app. But where can I find an actual address book. Many times you want to send out an invitation for example and just scroll your contacts to remind you to send to everyone.
I can see "contacts" in GMail on my PC, but can't find it anywhere on the Nexus on either Gmail (or the yellow email icon, where I have my ATT account).
Thanks in advance for your help, Lydia, Nexus Newbie;)

bellknap

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help- where is the address book/list of contacts on GMail, et

68 views and no comments, gee wiz. Again all my contacts are in the nexus7 just would like to be able to view a list of them and click the ones I want to send one email too. Help, Lydia

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

The People App is the address book. It shows each contact's information.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

I have to admit... this is baffling me. It seems to have baffled other people as well.

I have created a group in the 'People' app. It is a group of people, all with email addresses, but I can't seem to find a way to send a message to all members of the group at once.

This is truly puzzling. Methinks the only reason no one responded is because they became confused as well.

Is this as huge of a problem as it seems? Help us out!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I can do this on my Thunderbolt by going into the "people" view and there's a "group" button that allows me to view my various groups, then a "send" button when I view a specific group's members that alllows me to send either an email or an SMS to all members of the group.

However, this is a feature of HTC Sense, not Android itself.

I know there are third-party apps that are supposed to be capable of this.

Of course I can log in to my account using Firefox on my Android device and use the web interface to Gmail to open my contacts, choose "basic HTML", then multi-select from my full list of contacts and click COMPOSE to create my email. But that's clumsy as HELL.

I don't have access to my beloved Nexus until tonight when I get back home (I don't dare load it on the bicycle for the 15-mile ride in on bumpy roads). My only available device right now is my HTC Thunderbolt (Gingerbread). I have to imagine that The Google has added something to fix this in the subsequent two releases. But maybe not.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

It does seem like a bizarre omission... And if the feature does exist, somewhere, why is it so buried? Methinks it isn't there at all. Truly strange.

bellknap

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

Correct the People app does show a list in the left hand side. But as he other poster and mentioned we don't see an actual address book where you v
Can simply click,click,click those u want to get your email.
Gmail on a reg PC will show an address within the program. Thanks everyone. Keep Looking please.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

No, I think we see your problem. There doesn't seem to be a way to do what you want--and what I would expect many others would want to do as well (think Android devs in the lab at Google).

Using the 'People' app seemed to be the way into a solution, but it isn't there, either.

Again, truly puzzling.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

It does seem like a bizarre omission... And if the feature does exist, somewhere, why is it so buried? Methinks it isn't there at all. Truly strange.

Before I found the way to do it through Sense on my Thunderbolt, I did a lot of searching in the Gmail app itself, and a decent amount of research online.

I've found a lot of posts from people dating back to Froyo who are (like myself) simply flabbergasted that such a seemingly simple feature that is so seamless and useful on the web interface refuses to work on Google's own OS.

If you could get a browser to be recognized by Google as a desktop browser, you could use the web interface to do it. Sadly, Firefox, DolphinHD, and the default Gingerbread browser are all recognized by Google as mobile, and you either get the "mobile" view or the "simple HTML" view, neither of which recognize groups in the TO:, CC:, or BCC: fields.

It's like protecting selected fields in the Google Drive spreadsheet, or any one of a number of features that seem so basic, yet are not there...

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

There is the 'Request Desktop Site' feature in Chrome running on Jelly Bean and/or the Nexus 7. That might be the ticket in.

That being said, I have trouble getting Google to accept that request on their sites sometimes, ironically.

mrssip

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I too am having problems with my contacts list on the Nexus 7. The list is under my people icon and completely correct. However when I go to GMail to send an email there is no access to my email addresses. I have called Nexus support 3 times. They had me delete the accts and start over..(3times). This did not change anything. When you enter a couple of letters and tap the screen it will simply add " @gmail.com." Obviously not the address I am looking for, they seem completely baffled and told me to contact Googel support for email. Unfortunately, there is no phone number. I am very frustrated. Can anyone help? Is the answer simply that the gmail account on the new Nexus 7 is flawed?? Is the device worth keeping?? or should I be sending it back? Ideas??

run12

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

having identical problem on Nexus 7. Gmail works fine on pc showing contacts but not on Nexus 7 and contacts are in People in Nexus 7. If i type in to or cc or bcc the letters sa all the contacts staring with sa will come up. Hopefyully somebody will fix this bug or find how to do what we want...thanks garry

Bronnyl

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Hello mrssip - did you find a solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue.....not good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

1jh650

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Having tried for hours to get the Nexus 7 to email group contacts on gmail I established that it was a known problem. My solution was to return the device for a full refund. The shop agreed even though the Nexus was 2 months old. They told me that they had had dozens returned to the shop and probably hundreds nationwide for the same reason. Perhaps ASUS/GOOGLE/ANDROID should all talk to each other and sort the problem quickly.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you read the thread? It's an app called PEOPLE and it's part of the Google App folder or cluster. This is your Nexus system CONTACT or ADDRESS book and it synch's with Gmail Contacts if you have it set to do so. This will go across your entire Google/Android ecosystem as long as all your devices are set accordingly.

JustErik

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
My Gmail address book has email addresses, street addresses and phone numbers. I synced this with the people app on my Nexus 7 by the only thing listed in people is email addresses. I need to be able to access the rest of the information.
To be useful, an address book needs to provide a place to store and look up email, street addresses, phone numbers, facebook and twitter handles, etc.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon