Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so mu

Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii View Post
    If I got 4 days out of a charge (don't care if i used it or not) the last thing I would do is post questions about battery use.

For reference I took my n7 off the charger this morning, did two hours of email and internet and have had it in standby most of the rest of the time. I am at 62% available (38% used) and 3% Mediaserver of this 38%.
    I am learning a lot from this thread, from others experiences and my own. It's a good idea to ask questions, this is how I as well as others learn more about our favorite mobile OS.

Two hours of email and web surfing taking up 38% of your battery? That's a bit too much unless if you have the screen set on high brightness.

Note that my screen brightness is almost always at the lowest setting but sometimes rarely at 10%-15% brightness setting so to maximize my battery life.

I should also add that Asus rated this device to have 300 hours of standby, so if you think 4 days of standby (assuming you did nothing else but standby) is good, then nope, it's not good.
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Yup, full brightness.

I have learned from the original Incredible and then the TBolt and now my GNex that you always need a changer near you (car, work, home, bedside, briefcase). While the N7 isn't nearly as bad as those hogs, I am always near a charger and use it when needed.

My comment was tongue in cheek and I agree about asking questions. I just don't see a concern to your battery consumption.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

no mediaserver here but MY GOD you use the hell out of your nexus.. haha
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11

I just wonder how you can stand having your notification bar loaded up like that. That would drive me nuts....

Sorry for being so far off topic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM 9.1

My nexus was running fine and then I turned it on and it said 6% battery remaining. I charged it for a bit and went to check what drained my battery and found the media server taking a nice portion.

All I used the tablet for yesterday was to play about 2 games of baseball, definitely less than an hour. No music or anything else.

Really weird...I use my n7 everyday and this is a first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-screenshot_2012-09-06-08-05-40.jpg  

Hey all,

Its been a while since you all got this problem, but still i am adding this information in case someone like me who recently came across this issue will be able to get some more information

It seems like Mediaserver is actually a process which is running in background it has been found that when Mediaserver is running it consumes high CPU which causes the battery to drain. There is an issue filed against this problem on Google code. check this out
    Issue 6765 - android - "Mediaserver" consuming ~100% CPU time after failing to play streaming videos - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

The issue occurs when media file is corrupted, it could be music, video or image.
    I have same issue, when I recorded a video with camcoder but recorded video was corrupt, although i deleted the video but its thumbnail might be there and it could also be corrupt. I'm not sure if there are other corrupt media files in my sdcard.

since my battery was drained to 3% in few hours, I am charging my phone. . I will try rebuild the dalvik cache and deleting application cache once its charged, I have explicitely closed Mediasever process from running services, I will check it out after charging weather it is also launching itself on rebooting the phone.
    Thanked by:

Angry Re: What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?

Its not that app I don't have and the media server has drained like 42% of my battery

Default Re: What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?

I think one important thing many people are missing here is this:

When it says "App X..............38%" it does not mean that App X used 38% of your battery.

It means, of the % of battery that has been used so far, App X has contributed 38% of that usage.

So if you have used 4% of your battery, then "App X..................38%" means that App X has used 38% of that 4% that is used. 38% of 4% is 1.5%, that is the actual amount of battery usage.

So yes, all the percentages will add up to 100% on the battery usage screen, but if you've used 4% of your battery then that 100% is just 100% of 4%.

I hope that clarifies some things.
    Thanked by:

That pretty much sums up my situation as well. I store a lot of magazines, music and podcasts on my phones memory and that constitutes a big part of my phone usage every day, my battery is pretty good but looked at this thread because Im always trying to make it better and media server is 2nd in usage. Sounds like media server having high usage is good because on a per song basis playing from local storage probably uses less battery than streaming over Pandora or google music.

I help people collect measurement data from all kinds of sensors for a living.
    What matters is RATE of usage over time for mediaserver. The battery usage tool shows the momentary power usage. ie at this moment the power usage is 37%. (but if we had refreshed a split second sooner it might have said 3%)
    If the AVERAGE percent of power usage OVER TIME was 37%., then we would be justified in wondering why it is such a hog compared to the screen. Instantaneous spikes of usage are not as scary as they look.
    If the graph at the top of the the battery usage tool slopes sharply downward then the rate of all your applications combined are sucking the power at a high rate. If the graph us fairly level then nothing
    A very useful tool would be one that collects power usage on a suspected process for a user specified period of time.
    One trick you can do is click on mediaserver in the battery usage tool to see how many minutes of processor time has been used. Compare this to minutes of processor used by the display. It is not as good as a graph of percentage of use over time would be, but its better than instantaneous usage.
    ~Red~

hi,
    I had the same problem, mediaserver was always in the top 3 in the battery usage list
    I have downloaded an app called: wakelog detector, there I could see under the mediaserver the AudioOut_2 was the ?subprocess? keeping the pone awake. other posts suggested this could be caused by viber. And bingo, without Viber problem is gone! but all my friend are crazy about Viber, so I played with the config, and there is a setting in Viber for the wifi sleep policy. select "use device policy" instead of always on. now Viber behave nicely

Bravo, (or brava depending on your gender). Yours was the first reply I saw that actually addressed the question and answered it concisely. I'm not flaming anyone else. I just so much time scrolling through responses without getting a clear idea of what the software actually did. Thanks for your explanation. Now, whether or not it was germane or correct is for others to explore.

HURRAY!! Found the problem

The media server drain is due to Google Crapware - Google play music. Once I disabled Play Music, Books, Magazines and Movies/TV, - Mediaserver stayed steady. Prior to that it was sucking the life out of it.

I'm glad your problem has been fixed, but I doubt it was because of the Google Play apps. If it were, everyone would have had your problems. I have no Google apps frozen, disabled, or uninstalled and have never had media server drain. I really suspect it was a setting that was causing your drain.

It seems to me that the Media Server has problems to scan files on the external memory card. When I realize that my phone gets hot I look in the process list and appears Media Server eating my battery.

Going on:

Settings -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card

Solves the problem. However it is a workaround because when the active SD card bug back again.

[Motorola Razr I | Android 4.1.2]

A corrupt media file on an external sdcard can cause the media server drain. My wife's phone had a bad music file that created all kinds of hell until I found and deleted it.

Well I just found this thread because I am having this problem as well. I do not have a screen shot for you but here is the info...

Galaxy Note 2

7h 37m 38s on battery
    2% battery remaining

Media Server: 75%
    Screen: 13%
    Android System: 6%
    Task Manager: 2%
    Android OS: 2%
    Cell Standby: 2%
    Device Idle: 2%

the phone was supposedly in "sleep" mode the entire time. the GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth/NFC/S-Beam etc. are all off.
    I put it in my locker at work this morning after a fresh charge on both the internal phone battery, and the external battery in the case.

now 7 hours later not only is the internal battery gone, but also the external case battery is drained. this configuration normally has lasted me 2 or more days of normal usage. this power drain is something fairly recent as I have not noticed it before. Just as a reference, the external case battery is 4200 mAh and the internal phone battery is 3100 mAh. So this 7 hours was basically the equivalent of 2 fully charged internal batteries.

If this is caused by a corrupt file on my SD card as speculated here, how can I find this file? is there any way to track down the culprit?

###############EDIT################

Ok did a bit of digging; as this was a new issue I went back to the last few days of app installs and looked what there may have been. I found an "assistant" app that uses voice activation.... no surprise that when I disable the voice activation the CPU usage of this app drops from 26% to 2%. Reported by watchdog live "real time" monitoring. I am guessing I have found the culprit.
    Last edited by Bit Fiddler; 07-24-2013 at 07:03 AM.

for everyone else who keeps stressing that it is only 20 or 30 or 60 percent of 4%, that makes no difference. yes it may only have taken 1.x % of battery life so far, but that is not the information that concerns us. What concerns me is how much it is taking in the long term. thats what the battery chart seems to do. it is extrapolating for me. it is saying if this process continues to run at this rate of power consumption, by the time your battery completes a cycle it will have used 60% of your battery. which would be horrible if what people here are saying is not true. especially if you are not doing anything with sound.
    as it happens i had been playing a game and was unaware that mediaserver was a kind of middleman. and i was concerned when i saw that the rate it was consuming power over the last few hours was significantly higher than the graphic and sound intensive game i was playing. but since i know now that it is handling the sound, i am ok with it now as im sure a major part of the visuals of the game (like the backlight) fall under the screen which is hogging more power than everything else combined.
    anyways im no longer doing anything with sound and im hitting the refresh button every few minutes to see if it will give a percent or 2 to chrome or any other app i may run

Update: 10% later
    I have had chrome open and nothing else for the last loss of 10% battery. the numbers havent changed. so either these numbers are averaged of every cycle i have completed or i have a lot of corrupted media files or whatever it is others are saying it does.
    either way, im satisfied with the responses those have given about the purpose. 17% isnt bad. now if it starts using 75% or 45% when im just web browsing, i think it will be time for a fresh wipe and install.
    Last edited by grandpa2390; 08-09-2013 at 03:11 AM.

For some reason mine is also having this problem. I think I've isolated it to the Google Play Music app but it's strange because I haven't even downloaded anything from Google Play Music, nor have I started using their All Access service. Any help?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-1376944942340.jpg  
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - White 16GB - Nova Launcher, 4.4.2, Vintage Icon Pack
    Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB, 4.4.2, Nova Launcher, Axis Icon Pack

I've been banging around with this issue for a while, here is what I know so far:

• It happens on multiple types of hardware
    • It happened to me on both stock JB 4.2.1 AND CM 10.1.0 (current OS is CM 10.1.0 on Galaxy S3 i747H)
    • I doubt the root cause is a specific application, but I suspect this is OS bug. I have read this dates back to 2010.
    • I have tried the various tweaks; reformat SD, look for wonky file names, corrupt files etc, etc.

See my screen shots for the wakelocks and battery stats as Mediaserver and AudioIn do their best to kill my battery. ONE CORRELATION I just noticed is this; I am losing the audio notification for events (text message, email), and this seems to coincide with the mediaserver drain/wakelock occurring. I suspect a connection between the lost audio notification and the wakelock under AudioIn.

I have tried everything I can think of and it's a dead end at the moment and very annoying. Any further suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-wakelock-battery.png   What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-wakelock-1013.png   What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-wakelock-1013-later.png  

My experience back in the froyo days on my old G2 was that some media files can confuse the media scanner. If you're also noticing that newly added MP3s aren't showing up in your player, or new pictures aren't showing up in the gallery, this is likely what is happening. Fixing it is a pain because you have to remove all of it from your device and replace it under controlled conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hey all. I have also experienced this phenomenon with the mediaserver component DESTROYING my battery life.

Let me relate my experience and extrapolate my theory.

I have a Sony Xperia Z. I always have my WiFi on and everything else disabled (data/gps/bt etc.). On a full charge my battery lasted me about 2 days. Then 2 weeks ago that dropped dramatically where my phone would not last a single day. I checked the battery usage and sure enough mediaserver was the culprit. Up to 70% of the battery would be used by it and the phone would be hot when picked up from sleep.

Now I know this 1 thing: technology does not just up and change by itself, either I or a 3rd party had caused this. So I retraced the last 2 weeks to see if there had been any updates or if I had done anything different. Sure enough I had installed an app called SleepBot.

Uninstalled the app, and battery is back to normal. As I sit here the phone is sitting on 91% battery with 6.5 hours of usage.

My conclusion: mediaserver by itself is not the problem. The problem is probably an app that uses the mediaserver component. Either by design or by fault.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Same issue with my SG3. This started recently.
    What is 'Mediaserver' and why is it draining my battery so much?-screenshot_2014-01-10_mediaserver.png

my problem with the mediaserver went away when I did the following two things. Not sure which did it because I tried both of them at the same time:
    First I cleared the media storage data, which is at Settings > applications> all > Media Storage > force stop, clear data, disable and reboot.

I then cleared the bsplayer cache...

I then re-enabled Media Storage and all was well.

I tend to suspect that it was a bad subtitle download or a bad thumbnail was causing the excessive load.... So I think it's +1 for the corrupted file theory....

Hi, I had the very same problem with Android 4.1.2. tablet. Tried everything found on several forums, and the result was - nothing worked. Mediaserver kept draining my battery.
    Intuitively, I tried two things:
    1. Unmounted SD card where I keep all sorts of media files.
    2. Deleted downloaded PICTURES from "download" folder.

Result = problem SOLVED.

Then remounted the SD card - battery life still normal!

Conclusion: bloody mediaserver keeps scanning the downloaded pictures and drains the battery.

Simplicity is always the answer!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12