Phones that will Wifi with Nexus?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting more and more frustrated with this Bluetooth (often lack of) Bluetooth connection between my Rezound and N7. I didn't buy my N7 to leave at home! I'm going in circles and winding up at a dead end.

Rezound tethering was banned by VZW. My N7 isn't a VZW device so adding it to my account would be a waste of money and ongoing monthly expense I don't need. FoxFi won't work because of the ban.

My Rezound is only 5-6 mos old so I can't do a subsidized upgrade but getting a little desperate so considering outright purchase of a Galaxy S III although would prefer the Note, don't think the Note will run on the VZW network :(

Much as I'd love a new Galaxy device it would be a HUGE stretch to justify purchasing a new phone.

Will my old Thunderbolt also fall under the banned Wifi thing? I have a feeling if I fired it up again it would probably update the software. What OS version (by name not number please) would I have? I don't really want to go backwards but VZW has my hands tied. When you have a 6mos old phone you do not expect it to not work with something just 6mos newer.

Is there a way to get VZW to lift this ban?

If my TBolt is not tether-banned could I not just get an additional sim card so that I wouldn't have to swap out my sim card if I wanted to use my TBolt for WIFI but my Rezound for everything else? On VZW's new plans I would not have to pay for two phones it doesn't look like because you can add up to 10 devices.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an answer, but this situation seems insane. Baffling, even.

When I got my Nexus 7, I immediately thought about tethering. I pulled out my bottom-tier, cheap-o plan T-Mobile LG Gingerbread phone and found the WiFi tethering option right there in the settings. Turned it on, and the Nexus 7 is fully wireless.

Is this a problem with Verizon? Does anyone else know about this? Am I simply lucky with T-Mobile?

EpicRavensFan

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If you can use up to 10 devices on Verizon's shared data plan, why not get a lte hotspot ? Do they charge you the same monthly fee as an extra phone ? I would call and check into that option.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
My silly LG G2x from T-Mobile gives me tethering towards the Nexus 7 for nothing more than data deficits against my most basic plan.

You seriously have to root your phone to get such a simple piece of functionality? I have been slightly embarrassed about my allegiance towards T-Mobile, I'm now wondering if that was not an OK position to be in.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the only way to tether on Verizon is to root your device or pay extra on your plan. This is one of the main reasons I am going to leave Verizon once my plan is over.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the only way to tether on Verizon is to root your device or pay extra on your plan. This is one of the main reasons I am going to leave Verizon once my plan is over.

Have you tried FoxFi?

My silly LG G2x from T-Mobile gives me tethering towards the Nexus 7 for nothing more than data deficits against my most basic plan.

You seriously have to root your phone to get such a simple piece of functionality? I have been slightly embarrassed about my allegiance towards T-Mobile, I'm now wondering if that was not an OK position to be in.

T-Mo isn't that bad... Tbh, the only embarrassment I feel in that connection is that, like you, I too still own and use one of the great Pintos of the wireless world, the G2x. Though now its primary function is serving as a hotspot, lol - glad I picked up those extra batteries a ways back.

Reactions: dotism

releveler

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Charge with Verizon. FoxFi works great as a FREE wifi hotspot. The phone gets kind of hot and does eat up battery quickly when the hotspot is active.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you can use up to 10 devices on Verizon's shared data plan, why not get a lte hotspot ? Do they charge you the same monthly fee as an extra phone ? I would call and check into that option.
because currently I have their unlimited plan which requires an additional 30 dollars per month to add the hot spot. My only alternative he's moving to 1 of their new shared plans and because my device is not a Verizon device it's not supposed to work on that either.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
because currently I have their unlimited plan which requires an additional 30 dollars per month to add the hot spot. My only alternative he's moving to 1 of their new shared plans and because my device is not a Verizon device it's not supposed to work on that either.

An LTE hotspot is a separate device that provides WiFi access to anything, Verizon or not, using Verizon's LTE network.

It connects to the Internet through Verizon, and offers that connection up as a WiFi network connection locally. You can put as many devices as you want on it, as far as I know.

My father-in-law has one through AT&T so he can connect his Android tablet and his laptop to the Internet while in his motor home.

Unfortunately, a hotspot is going to cost you more than simply adding tethering to your existing account.

PS: Anything you can do (other than adding tethering to your existing account) will probably require rooting and will absolutely violate the (patently unfair) terms of service with Verizon. If they catch you tethering your phone without you having a tethering plan, the results could be unpleasant. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way things are, sadly.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

It is not only because your Nexus7 is not a Verizon device it is because the Nexus7 has no cellular abilities at all.

I have the Verizon Novatel 4510L jetpack mobile hotspot. I use it to supple my Asus Transformer and Nexus7 with mobile data. I have one of the previous mobile broadband plans $50 for 5gb and $10 for each additional 1gb.

You should try FoxFi it works on most devices to share your phones data even if it is locked down..

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Check out FoxFi. No root required, and it enabled me to use my phone as a hotspot without subscribing to the feature (the built-in feature turns out on but doesn't allow data to pass through as the network recognizes it as being passed to a secondary device).