Does anyone else's Nexus 7 only accept voice input while

Nexusdroid7

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
the tablet is in the horizontal position?

I've already replaced one nexus 7 due to screen lift and dead pixels, now this one has 2 dead pixels and the mic literally does not accept any voice recognition while in the portrait position.

I can have the tablet in portrait, start talking, and while talking rotate the tablet to landscape and it starts to accept the voice input... same vice versa..

not very impressed, unless there is some setting I'm just not aware of...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, obviously when you talk to it sideways it can't understand you. Try turning your head to the side. :D :p

Never heard of that one. I'm pretty sure I've used voice recognition in both portrait and landscape, but the stock keyboard started acting up so I loaded Thumb Keyboard instead.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine worked fine when I tested it. Make sure you aren't covering either of the microphones when holding it, when in portrait one is about a third of the way up the left side and the other is on the top left corner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nexusdroid7

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine worked fine when I tested it. Make sure you aren't covering either of the microphones when holding it, when in portrait one is about a third of the way up the left side and the other is on the top left corner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
LOL yea I made sure I wasn't doing that.

It's really weird. I'm definitely not doing anything wrong..it just doesn't work in portrait mode. :(

Nexusdroid7

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Alright, went and took it back to Futureshop, and they were extremely helpful. Confirmed that it was defective and so I exchanged it for yet another one.

This one, I am happy to say, looks to be perfect. No dead pixels that I can tell, no probs with mic, and no screen lift or flickering.

Here's hoping for the best. I love this tablet and just want it to work as it should. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Alright, went and took it back to Futureshop, and they were extremely helpful. Confirmed that it was defective and so I exchanged it for yet another one.

This one, I am happy to say, looks to be perfect. No dead pixels that I can tell, no probs with mic, and no screen lift or flickering.

Here's hoping for the best. I love this tablet and just want it to work as it should. :)

Sadly it's not unusual for bad builds to sneak out early in the manufacturing process, as the company works out what corners can be cut and which ones cannot. A little more careful soldering here, a tad more glue there, and the long-term outlook is that the bulk of the returns after a few more weeks will be for dead pixels (which plague all LCD devices) and one-offs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome