Nexus 7 vs. Note 10.1

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay so here's my question for the Nexus 7 owners......

I am interested in a tablet for college, and I am debating on getting the Nexus 7, or waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Here are the pro's and con's for each (as I see it) and I would appreciate some feedback as to how you all see it, from a Nexus 7 perspective.

Nexus 7
Pros- Compact and lightweight, JellyBean, Pure Google Experience, Available now, more affordable, popularity=more accessory availability

Cons- Will it be an effective education tool?, no stylus, small

Galaxy Note 10.1
Pros- Note taking with the stylus/s-pen, larger screen, fantastic education tool due to Samsung's focus on making this an effective note taking, researching device.

Cons- Not yet available, not sure if the specs will change for the better by release date, more expensive, bulkier than the 7

If anyone can give me thoughts, opinions, suggestions, or things I might have missed I would appreciate it. Price isn't a HUGE factor, but we all like to save a little money if possible. The biggest thing, is would the Nexus 7 match the Note 10.1 in it's effectiveness as an education tool. Of course either one I will use as a toy and for fun, but largely this purchase is based on my need for simplifying the College experience. Thanks!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you could do better with something from the Asus Transformer line of products. Stylus use on a touch screen is a status symbol more than a better functioning tool than a keyboard. Just my opinion.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen the use of the stylus on the Note 10.1? I have NEVER liked the idea of using a stylus, cause I always felt it defeated the purpose of the touchscreen. However, with the Note 10.1 you are able to write just as you would on paper, and the Note Taking program on the device automatically converts your handwriting to type and saves it for you.

You also are able to notate in your digital textbooks using the stylus and it does the same thing. It also works for math as well as writing. Basically it digitalizes your whole traditional school experience and that is what won me over originally. I do agree with you that often times the stylus is more of a status symbol, however I think the Note 10.1 (if it works as advertised) could turn the stylus into a legit tool.

I am not too familiar with the Asus Transformer though, what would be the pros associated with that choice?

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
As a photographer I'm intrigued by the Note 10.1 and will definitely keep it in mind. But unless you really want it for stylus use, I don't see much to differentiate it from the Asus offerings.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Nexus 7 is even remotely what you are looking for. It's an awesome low price tablet for using Google services and consuming content. But you definitely can't take notes with it, the screen is probably a bit small for some of the things you might want like reading PDFs, the storage is limited.

I think a 10 inch tablet would be much better. I can't comment on the Note 10.1 since it's not released (specs even finalized yet?). But if note taking is important, that might be more for you. Larger screen and likely micro SD slot will be good too.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Nexus 7 is even remotely what you are looking for. It's an awesome low price tablet for using Google services and consuming content. But you definitely can't take notes with it, the screen is probably a bit small for some of the things you might want like reading PDFs, the storage is limited.

I think a 10 inch tablet would be much better. I can't comment on the Note 10.1 since it's not released (specs even finalized yet?). But if note taking is important, that might be more for you. Larger screen and likely micro SD slot will be good too.

That was kind of my fear. The Note 10.1 specs have been released, but Samsung also said they are subject to change. For example, it was originally dual core, but has since been changed to Quad core.

The note taking thing is a BIG part of this whole thing, I just have been trying to justify the Nexus cause I really want to give JB a try, and enjoy more timely updates. But ultimately I HAVE to go with logical, which at this point will probably either be waiting for the Note 10.1 or looking into the Asus.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the note. Typing might be faster (Asus with dock) but nothings better than actually being able to write. Its a lot easier to make typos than to write them. So I'd get the note. Yeah the note is the way to go.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the GNote phone and I find uses for the stylus I never imagined Samsung has been pretty innovative with the apps they have come up with for the stylus and just finished a competition for some new ones which I think we will see soon.

I know more and more text books are being issued for tablets and I think the ability to use the stylus for highlights and notes would be very usable (if available - I don't know that it is - but it seems like a pretty obvious use for Samsung to identify).

DaEvil1

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you could do better with something from the Asus Transformer line of products. Stylus use on a touch screen is a status symbol more than a better functioning tool than a keyboard. Just my opinion.

Wrong. Especially in regards to wacom styluses. A stylus is a lot more flexible than a keyboard when you're taking notes and is irreplacable in terms of drawing/painting.

About the Galaxy Note 10.1, I think it's pretty finalized now (though nothing offical has been confirmed). A new version has popped up with quad core processor, stylus slot, 2GB ram, same screen with 1280x800 resolution and 32/64 GB storage + memory card slot. Anywho, Samsung is holding an event on august 15th, where hopefully they'll finally officially announce that they will release it within august.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown