Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi router problems or nexus 7?? Help??

Anyone get the issue off YouTube videos ending abruptly and not loading past a certain point? I go to work and you tube works perfectly for me there. But once I'm at my apartment it'll get to a certain part in a video and freeze. It will no longer load past the point that it froze at. Anyone have any idea how to remedy this???

Sent from my Nexus 7
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

And everything else works fine. Even my phone runs on the WiFi just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Same thing happened to me only once, and I was about 20 ft away from the router with three walls blocking the signal. It has never happened again in any other setting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah I'm about 5 to 10 feet from it and still the same deal. I'm wondering if its some kind of setting on the router. My internet provider gave me the router. Its not a crappy one either, nor is it a high dollar model either.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Default Re: WiFi router problems or nexus 7?? Help??

I returned my Nexus 7 today (after only a day). I had many problems with the unit! When I first setup the unit everything worked fine, but as I began making changes (ie. adding apps and customizing the unit) I started having problems. First, the wifi bars would only display grey, not blue. This mostly occurred after putting the unit to sleep and waking it up again. The Internet worked fine, but I couldn't access Google Play Store without getting a "server error" message. I tried airplane mode, disable/re-enable wifi, and turning wifi off and on. The only way I could correct the problem was to factory reset.

I also had problem running videos on YouTube app and webpage. The videos would stop frequently.

Two times the sound quite working while playing video clips and using the unit which required restart.

I'm sure someone reading this will want to blame my home network, but I'm currently running other wireless devices (including an ASUS tablet) without problems.

From the rave reviews of this unit online, I must have received a lemon. Either way, I called and requested a return of the unit.

Shawn

I am also having problems keeping a stable wifi signal. It worked flawlessly the first day with full bars. After downloading multiple apps it wont keep a connection. The wifi bars bounce constantly from blue to gray color with bars ranging from 0-5. It is a constant change. Non stop up and down. Im watching the Olympics on the NBC Live Extra app and it cant keep streaming. Stops.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well I ordered a replacement for this one since the screen on the left side is up and starting to make a clicking sound on the side when I swipe across or touch that side. I'll see if its my router then also. What I find weird though is that I use it at work and watch the exact same YouTube videos and they play all the way through so hmmmm......

Sent from my Nexus 7
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well I fixed the WiFi issue. My limit for data to be used on my router were set pretty low so I set it to unlimited and it works perfectly. Now if only the side of the screen wouldn't click.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by el_mariach View Post
    Well I fixed the WiFi issue. My limit for data to be used on my router were set pretty low so I set it to unlimited and it works perfectly. Now if only the side of the screen wouldn't click.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    How did you do that on your router? I'm having issues with mine as well. IPad, PlayBook and everything else works fine on my home network, so what's going on?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well on my router I go to my web browser and from there I type in an address that takes me to the settings of that router. In the router settings, there is a wifi section. In that section there was a limit to how much data could be used on wifi. I switched it to the most that could be used. I would imagine it would very from router to router. Best place to check first is the manufacturer's website. Mine just happened to be routerlogin.net

Sent from my Nexus 7
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

On top of that if you do find that out it will ask you for an admin and password login. So if no ones changed it then it should be admin and password for admin and password. Someone logged into my router and changed all my settings and I was not able to get on the Internet. Figured out it was the router so I reset it and looked into it. Learned about this whole deal so I changed it all myself. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by el_mariach View Post
    On top of that if you do find that out it will ask you for an admin and password login. So if no ones changed it then it should be admin and password for admin and password. Someone logged into my router and changed all my settings and I was not able to get on the Internet. Figured out it was the router so I reset it and looked into it. Learned about this whole deal so I changed it all myself. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Yeah thanks. I do have the original username and password and got into the router settings. Looked at data limit and I think is set to highest. However, still not getting the N7 to play nice with the network, every other device in the house is perfect! Here's the kicker: when I hotspot with my Torch then it works perfect. How weird is that? I even did a factory reset on it, but no go.

Just an update on this issue guys, I changed the security settings on my router from WPA to WPA2 and it seems that fixed it. Just so you know and don't go into panic mode: when you do this then you also have to change those security settings on your laptops so they match the router's.
    Last edited by monzon5755; 08-09-2012 at 05:48 AM.
    Thanked by:

Don't know if this will help everyone, but I too was seeing my WiFi bounce between full bars and empty (way too often). I set up DHCP reservation for my tablet (stuck it on .109) from my router config and have not dropped WiFi since. Hope this helps...
    Thanked by:

Default Home wifi connection problem or Nexus 7 tablet problem?

I just got google nexus 7 tablet 1 day, went to starbucks, wifi good, but when I tried at home, wifi can't connect. saved, secured WEB... Tried to type the right pw but not help. what happened?
    does it problem with my router? or problem with my nexus tablet? please help. should I return nexus 7
    thanks

Default Re: Home wifi connection problem or Nexus 7 tablet problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tabletandroid2012 View Post
    I just got google nexus 7 tablet 1 day, went to starbucks, wifi good, but when I tried at home, wifi can't connect. saved, secured WEB... Tried to type the right pw but not help. what happened?
    does it problem with my router? or problem with my nexus tablet? please help. should I return nexus 7
    thanks
    Read my earlier post. Play with your router's security settings. If you don't know how, Google how to change those settings on your type of router.

I had that same issue (2Wire 3800HGV-B that has zero connection issue with at least 7 different device types kindles, printers, laptops, xbox, phones etc), I tried every security setting on the router, rebooted after each and still the tablet just saved settings and refused to connect.

WEP (Shared)
    WEP (Open)
    WPA
    WPA2

I even disabled wireless security (no authentication required) and it still saved settings with no connection.

Last ditch I enabled Wi-Fi Protected Setup, but alas that also failed. I ran to a neighbor with Comcast and it just said connecting..waited 5 mins no change. Clicked said Forget Settings..tried again..same result.

Tried Panera Bread (only local free WiFi..found WiFI but refused to load the acceptance screen so I had no choice but return this brand new Nexus 7. Owned less than a day..never saw more than the chose language and WiFi screens.

I have to assume some units are defective (mine had 7OK number) or something in the OS differs in the batches? I had thought of keeping 1 more day and trying more friends connections..but at the end of the day if this device is going to be so particular about the router it makes it very inflexible and no good for travelling with. I hope somebody finds a definitive fix, then maybe I can try again ( I really wanted to love this device). For now money is back in the bank.

p.s. all the devices that can and do work with my router were turned off to ensure nothing caused a collision issue.

Quote Originally Posted by creeduk View Post
    I had that same issue (2Wire 3800HGV-B that has zero connection issue with at least 7 different device types kindles, printers, laptops, xbox, phones etc), I tried every security setting on the router, rebooted after each and still the tablet just saved settings and refused to connect.

WEP (Shared)
    WEP (Open)
    WPA
    WPA2

I even disabled wireless security (no authentication required) and it still saved settings with no connection.

Last ditch I enabled Wi-Fi Protected Setup, but alas that also failed. I ran to a neighbor with Comcast and it just said connecting..waited 5 mins no change. Clicked said Forget Settings..tried again..same result.

Tried Panera Bread (only local free WiFi..found WiFI but refused to load the acceptance screen so I had no choice but return this brand new Nexus 7. Owned less than a day..never saw more than the chose language and WiFi screens.

I have to assume some units are defective (mine had 7OK number) or something in the OS differs in the batches? I had thought of keeping 1 more day and trying more friends connections..but at the end of the day if this device is going to be so particular about the router it makes it very inflexible and no good for travelling with. I hope somebody finds a definitive fix, then maybe I can try again ( I really wanted to love this device). For now money is back in the bank.

p.s. all the devices that can and do work with my router were turned off to ensure nothing caused a collision issue.

Same problem on my end

Worked great for a few weeks then i added apps, all legal, Google Store apps, and it started to slowmdown dramatically. Even the embedded apps tookmforever to open. Called Optimum, checked the router, they even gave me a brand new router. Same problem

One interesting fact... I own an iPadm HTC One S and an HP G72 laptop. The laptop and iPad worked great, very fast amd smooth. The Android phone just started to have wifi issues similar to the nexus. All devices, except te nexus show download speeds of between 15-30 mbps. The nexus always comes in slower and then loses the signal. I even bought a belkin extender but it was not able to hold tne signal coming from the router, even with the adapter being about 10 feet from the router and up 5 steps.BTW - my router is a Netgear 600n and it was given to me by my cable provider.

I truly am lost at this point as to what is te real cause of tne problem. I called Google and they are sending me a new Nexus 7. If tne problem continues i have no choice but to ask for my money back.

Wouldmlove to hear orher comments.

Oh, one more thing. The nexus does not run on tne 5 ghz line, it only runs on tne 2.4 ghz line. The Google repmsaid thatnthe problem could be thatnthe unit is going back and fortn between the 5 and the 2.4 channels. Doesntreally makes sense to me if the unit can only use the 2.4, why would it attempt to go to the other?

I believe i am using wep2 as security. Besides maligna - has anyone tried chnaging the routers security settings , fif so, did it work?

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I had the problem of my signal on my n7 dropping every few seconds. What fixed it for me was I just added the device to my router and that fixed it.

For those of you wondering, this isn't easy if you're technologically challenged. You may not know of the following information. This worked for my Cisco WiFi router, you may need to Google 'how to access QoS settings for (your router model name here)'. Note that this is if you experience lag with videos or games.

Setting your QoS settings.

1. In your computer, enter your IP address into your PC browser. This will take you to your router settings.

To find out your IP address, Google 'what's my IP address?'. Enter that number into your address bar. (Ex. 11.11.1)

2. Go to the Online and Gaming tab.

3. Click QoS.

4. Since you probably don't know much of what you're doing, leave the bandwidth management set to auto.

5. Add a device by MAC address.

6. Name it Nexus 7 or whatever.

7. Enter your MAC address.

Found in your tablet, Settings---> About Tablet under System at the bottom---> Status---> Copy Wi-Fi MAC address you see

8. Set priority to high.

9. Save changes and you're done!

This should let YouTube videos stream better if you have problems, or online lag.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by will3454 View Post
    I had the problem of my signal on my n7 dropping every few seconds. What fixed it for me was I just added the device to my router and that fixed it.
    How did u do this?

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slider9499 View Post
    How did u do this?
    Probably what Eduardo06sp posted.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have a 16 GB Nexus 7 with Android 4.1.1. The device works fine at work but at home, only the browser works. Neither Google Play nor Google Talk connect to the Internet.

I've tried almost all the suggestions mentioned on this thread already. I have a DLink DI-524 WiFi router which runs at 2.5 GHz and does not run on the N frequency. I've tried setting the security to WPA2+PSK, WPA+PSK, WEP, No Security, WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK. None of these worked.

I've tried setting the channel to 6, 11, 12, 13 but none of them helped either.

I've set a static IP for the Tablet but that does not work as well.

So I'm pretty much all out of options. I know it's not a problem with the device since it works fine at work.

Does anyone else have other options to try? Is it specific to my router (which is ancient as it is)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast